Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mikebegood

mikebegood
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Thanks for the insight, I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.
    Let me clarify:
    I have no experience with macros, and am looking for something idiot proof rather than trying to write my own. I've got a sample file I can share but the board doesn't allow .xls attachments. Any help would be appreciated.

2. justinarelost

justinarelost
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Try this:

http://www.jabsoft.com/spreadsheet_cons ... _excel.htm

If it's easy enough for you buy it.

3. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone know a good online shop that still carries 2009 snowboarding gear (I'm looking for bindings/boots specifically)?? I'm trying to find some stuff on discount and doubt I'll miss out on much functionality from a year's difference.

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check out dogfunk.com. Also, for daily deals, check out whiskeymilitia.com and steepandcheap.com.

5. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Verizon Droid

so I'm thinking I'm going to get the new droid phone. I've got a blackberry tour right now, and it's alright, but I miss having the wide keyboard of the env, and the whole user interface just seems... lacking. I'm gonna play around with the droid in the store when I get a chance, but checking the early reviews today it really seems to be what I'm looking for.

But herein lies the problem, I _just_ got the tour, like not even 2 months ago. So just past the return period. Anyone know if there's anything I can do to get the droid without coughing up $200 bones, seeing as I just shelled out $150 for the tour? I have the paid-in-full insurance on the tour, but I don't know if I take a hammer to it if they'll allow me to upgrade the phone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. ryrob

ryrob
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Re: Verizon Droid

Besides the fact that you sound like a fickle bitch (no offense), I do know that the insurance on the Tour won't let you upgrade to a completely different phone brand/model. You'll just get a new Tour, which is a great phone if you're not blinded by fancy advertising campaigns.

7. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to link my XBOX to my computer.

I can see the XBOX from the computer, but not the computer from the XBOX.

Does that make sense, and can you help?

8. Glace

Glace
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

This might be a bit late and I have a Motorola KRZR so I'm not sure if it'll work for you, but here's what I did to use any .mp3 as a ringtone:

1) First get an .mp3 of the song you want and cut out the portion you want to play when someone calls you. You would need some audio software but that's easy to get.

2) Rename it to ~AlertFile138.mp3

3) Go to Settings>Connection>USB Settings and set it to Memory Card

4) Connect the USB cable from your computer to your phone and move the ~AlertFile138.mp3 to your phone.

5) Go to Media>Audio and move it from the memory card to the phone memory.

6) Go to Settings>Ring Styles>Detail. There should be a new ring tone called "YummyMoto", set that as your ring tone and you're done!

9. Woody

Woody
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Re: Verizon Droid

You can break your contract by getting kicked off your contract that I found on the net....but that might take about 3 months to accomplish. And piss off your cell phone company.

Set your phone to "roam only." Instead of utilizing its own network, the phone will search for the networks of other carriers. Most plans give users free roaming these days, but carriers must still pay for the roaming minutes. The reasoning goes that it costs the carrier more to pay for the roaming than the customer is worth, so the carrier will drop the customer. Some phones, however, can be forced to roam easier than others, depending on the model. Sprint users seem to have the easiest time making this happen.

On a side note I got the new droid phone from sprint and its pretty sweet. Touch screen included and all. I was doubtful at first but now I love it.

10. Woody

Woody
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This might seem a bit more lengthy so I might take this to a pm if someone does have any experience in it.

Has anyone done any grant/sponsorship writing? I'm thinking about doing some volunteer work and would like to try to get a grant/sponsorship to do it.

11. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My roommate is looking to buy a new TV and was looking for some advice from anyone with knowledge on the subject. Price range will probably be up to $2,000. Maybe $2,500. And he'll want a 50 inch.

Should we be looking at LCDs or Plasmas? What brands should we look at/avoid? Any specs that we should be more concerned about than others? Any specs pure bullshit and should be ignored? Links to any recommendations would be appreciated.

I trust you guys more than the best buy salesmen. Thanks in advance.

12. Woody

Woody
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm not expert but I did my own research into tvs a bit when I bought mine. I believe Plasmas provide a little bit more of a screen quality difference compared to LCDs, my best advice though is to go to a store, like best buy and just watch tvs, at that size though I would definitely at minimum go with a 120 HZ. I heard 260 is sorta overhyped? I couldn't really notice a difference.

My story I wanted a 32 inch 1080p tv but couldn't decide if I wanted to go with a LG or not, so I went to the store and started fooling around with a LG and a Samsung right next to each other along with another 120hz 32 inch LG, I couldn't tell the difference between 120 and 60 hz for what my main use was*video gaming*. But I could tell the LG detail level on small things like grass and etc was super crisp, to the point where I sort of started getting sick from it, while the Samsung seemed to be right at my level of detail where I could feel comfortable watching it for long hours. So after spending about 4 hours going over different settings and etc I decided to buy the Samsung over the LG. And still 6 months later I feel confident I made the right choice.

13. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have to go to various stores for this. The only way to compare TVs is to do it with all of them standing next to each other. After you find one you like, go googlin' and find reviews, see if there's any problems with the TV in the long term.

Plasma has a better contrast ratio, meaning it has "true" blacks. Generally, the picture on plasmas will look better than the LCDs, but the problem with them is burn in. It's mostly a thing of the past, but it's not completely gone. You'll have to do your own research on the specific plasma TV to find out what's going on with it.

14. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The two answer's above mine pretty much cover it. The top brands tend to be Samsung, LG, SONY (If you want to pay more than you should), and if I remember correctly Toshiba. Plasmas are relatively new, thus they tend to be more up to date with compatibility and format support. A good spec to watch for is DPI (Dots per Inch). The higher this number, the more of those Pixel guys you've seen in the optimum commercial you have per area which comes out to a sharper picture. Also keep an eye out for the number of different inputs the TV can support especially if the roommate plans on having multiple uses for the TV. Mine is fairly old and as a result only has one slot for a component cable (Blue/Green/Red). So if I want to have both the 360 and a PS3 hooked up at once I run into a problem. Not a biggie but something to consider since multiple ports shouldn't be a problem with today's models.

When you check them out at the store make sure you take a glance at the picture settings and what kind of players are being used if its a move. A lot of those TV's have specific picture settings and they are rarely the same from TV to TV. The last thing I'd mention is the size of TV but since he knows he wants a 50" that shouldn't be a problem. If he DOES decide to compromise on smaller sized try to keep it above 42. Anything smaller will tend to give you trouble because of the 16:9 ratio which doesn't translate well to most cable channels.

15. RogueTrader

RogueTrader
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Hi,

So my laptop completely shat itself to the point that I had to do a format and start over anew. I had Windows XP but I decided in this case that I would buy and upgrade to Windows 7 because I had heard so many good things about it. Anyway, so the reinstall went fine, but now I am missing a ton of drivers, most importantly the graphics and sound drivers. I am currently working in a tiny 1024x768 resolution, its annoying.

Unfortunately, due to the fact I move a lot and have relocated several times in the past couple of years since I got this laptop, my driver CDs have been lost in the process. I am wondering what is the best way to go about discovering how to find the drivers that I am missing is there some type of program I can download that will detect my hardware, for example. I guess that I am also missing drivers for the some of the more obscure things on this laptop that I didnt use often, for instance the TV tuner card.

I have an HP Pavilion 9200 by the way, I am also thinking maybe the hardware that came with this laptop is standard so I could look it up which might make things easier. I am writing here because I imagine there could be some technical details that I am not thinking about which could be offered for advice here.

16. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I format my main drives and reinstall windows about every 8-9 months, due to various reasons... and thus used to run into this problem a lot. Things to keep in mind for my advice are 1. I have done this for XP OS only, so I don't know how much of this will be usable for 7 since its fairly new in terms of software support, and 2. My way takes a little time and a little searching. It's not a click-and-fix it method. Having said that the two easiest steps you can take are the following.

1. Hop onto HP's support driver site and search your HP model. They will have the bulk of the drivers for the standard components they used. There will be A LOT of extra stuff, so pay attention to the description for the driver and go for the main parts only (network, video, sound, so on).

2. Grab a hardware analysis tool like this one... or something equivalent to this in functionality. I've used these programs in the past as they do a fantastic job of going through your system and telling you exactly what model of what component you have working. With this information you're a couple of Google searches away from the products website, and subsequently their most updated drivers. The hardest part of getting drivers for main hardware components is not knowing their models. This should take care of that.

3. For minor things like Logitech Mice and Keyboard interfaces you'll have to revisit their sites and grab the drivers all over again. This is inevitable.

4. Finally, depending on how you are in terms of acquiring software, you can try out tools like Driver Genius. These "cost money" and while I've used this program specifically I didn't bother checking my drivers to see if it did what it claims, but its ranking/rating is high enough that I'd trust it to do at least the main component installations.

17. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Does anyone have any idea how I can rip copy-protected DVD's to my hard drive? I have no clue where to start and my google-fu is non-existent at the moment (money constraints with my internet connection - I have to pay for every kilobyte). I'm not too worried about compressing them or anything as I have plenty of space available.

I have no wish to redistribute, I just don't want to wear out my DVD's.

Thanks.

18. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I originally posted this in the tech help thread, thought I'd give it a shot here.

I recently began using Google Calendar and I love the interface and the way you can setup different colors for different calendars (these events in blue, these events in red, etc). I synced it to my Blackberry Storm thinking this would hook up my Blackberry Calendar to my Google Calendar, and it kinda did, but not the way I wanted it to. It added all the events from my Google Calendar to my Blackberry Calendar and vice versa, but what I want it is for the calendar on my phone to look like my Google Calendar, with the different colors and what not. Is there any way to do this? Right now, my phone calendar shows a dot on each day that has an event, but I want to be able to see the different colors so I can tell what's what just with a glance. I'm not sure if I describing this correctly so I hope this makes sense.

19. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

When I used to do this, I used DVD43 I think. A quick google search would give you more information than I possibly could.

If this is the same program I remember using a few years ago on my old computer, it works great.

Sorry if this doens't make a whole lot of sense, I've been drinking heavily today.

20. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    DVD43 does NOT rip the files. All it does is decrypt the files so that another program can rip them (i.e. bypasses copy protection).

What I am looking for is a program that will rip the complete DVD to HARD DRIVE. I am not interested in having to burn a copy of the movie to another DVD, which seems to be the only option with half of these programs available (e,g, dvdshrink, etc.).

I would not have come here if I had not already tried a few different programs with no results. Everything seems to want to copy to .iso and then to another DVD (I only have one DVD-R/W on the machine, and do NOT want to put it on another DVD - that would be pointless) and I have no option for selecting it to rip to the hard drive.

EDIT: Nero BackItUp seems to be able to select different drives - will post again with results.