Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You could ask for more. The worst they can do is say, “no.” Frame it as that the merit increase isn’t even outpacing inflation.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I get the "worst they say is no." Hard to put a quantitative value on my job, there are zero systems in place in my department quantify it, and I have had couple of subtitles, that have probably brought more in for the company but even harder to quantify. I came to the 2 dollar figure because it would be netting 3 bucks which would be little less than a 20% raise from my current hourly rate. Again Im trying to figure out something they are more likely to say yes to. Not sure if I should say fuck it and be bold and ask for that or just play it safe honestly. Im basically in a customer service role and if I asked for the amount Id get if I switched companies (which I intend to do at some point) back into marketing they'd laugh in my face.

Ive got wild anxiety issues and job hunting and salary negotiations(which Ive never really done in just) are something that will have me dry heaving and sleepless nights. It's the only thing Ive been able to wrestle benzos out of my therapist for. So this is all overwhelming as it is.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any of yall in residential construction that wouldn't mind me picking your brain, please let me know.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Don't a few of you idiots live in the Columbus OH region? It is a possible job location and I am just trying to get a feel for the area.

From a resident perspective, what do you like and dislike about your living situation? Do you find the COL high or average? What are the "bad" areas in terms of housing?

I am furiously googling over here but would love any comments you could share.

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t live in Ohio, but this article doesn’t speak well of the schools, at least in Columbus itself.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/22/us/ohio-school-district-strike/index.html

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm using your info about specific neighborhoods and regions while checking out properties. It has been very helpful and explains the prices I'm seeing certain places. We will likely buy.

I am definitely concerned about education stuff. I read that Columbus has 92 private schools so there might be some choices available.

7. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Clutch covered about 90% of it, but I will just add that as someone who does have kids in the area, definitely try to find something in one of the adjacent school districts and NOT CCS. Not that it will impact you now, but the whole school district is currently on strike because of the general overall shittiness in 90% of the school buildings. And I wouldn't bet on it getting addressed to a sizable level for the foreseeable future.

One of the better things about Columbus is that even though it has little to terrible public transportation infrastructure, the way the highway system was designed, it's no more than 20-25 minutes to just about anywhere around the city via car.

The other thing I would tell you specifically to really keep an eye on is a lot of these outer suburbs are typically governed by an HOA and they can be pretty strict on outdoor space usage for things like homesteading and "excessive gardening".

But if you have any other questions about specific areas/schools, etc. let me know.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Thanks for the info about local taxes and education @Clutch @jdoogie . It has helped tremendously and I've been able to lock in on specific areas of interest. The sprawl around Columbus is pretty big.

9. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure thing. If you have any questions about any specific areas, I'm more than happy to help if I can.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can’t speak to the duck blind portions of the build or that brand of boat specifically but your going to want to ask about service records for the outboard engine and the trailer itself, those being your two major expenses if shit breaks. If he does his own service work it’s going to be hard to tell what’s actually been done but either way your going to want to do the foot oil, water pump, tune up, oil change etc so you know your starting fresh.

Trailer hubs and leaf springs need to be checked and greased, make sure the tires aren’t dry rotted and going to blow on you 30 minutes down the road.

If he won’t put it in the water for you to run then you’ll want to bring muffs and fire it up in the yard but to be honest given the unknown age I’d be pretty adamant about taking it on the water.

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Flat_Rate covered it pretty well.

That's a tough one to assign a value to. Just looking at the hull, engine and dash, it's not an $8,000 boat. So how do you value all the "hunting" stuff?

I know people very happy with their Evinrude v4.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

No way that’s an $8k boat. I know people who could build that “hunting stuff” for far less and take a profit to do it for ya. Unless you can take it out on the water, test EVERYTHING out, and it runs slicker than goose shit, I’d stay far away from it. Potential problems with the motor and trailer also scare the shit out of me. Looks like he’s trying to flip it to someone who has more dollars than cents and wants to drive away with it all at once.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive seen the hunting set up go from 600-1200 depending. It is a little more complex so it might haven been on the higher side when it was first put together. So in the end, boat alone, what would the boat/engine be worth?

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When it comes to boats, I tend to treat owner mods and customization as a detriment to the value of the boat. Because I know most people don't know what they're doing. These boats were designed to nest, or stack, for storage and transport for the military. So someone built the steering console and system. How are the welds for that stuff? They added the electrical system, did they do it right?

Without all that stuff, if it were just the hull with a big ol' tiller steering outboard that runs good, I'd probably say $4,000-5,000.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

If I was buying, I'd offer him like $4k cash assuming it runs, because I'd bank on there being at least another grand of repairs to the boat and trailer, hopefully most of which I could do myself.

18. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, always plan on doing the things Flat Rate mentioned as a starting point, at least.

Another thing to consider... 120hp is extreme for a duck boat. The guy scavenged that from another boat. You probably can't even got WOT or you'll blow your brush off. Bigger motor, more moving parts, more expense, with no usable performance gains.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

or he just put it on there because he "wants to get to the hunting waters fast." Rednecks /=/ smart. Trust me. I gotta go spend next weekend with a bunch of them that would think this boat was a genius idea and jump on it at the price because it "looks cool."

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

120 did seem unnecessarily high but I don’t know the ins and outs of boating weight the boat can handle vs the engine size you need etc.