Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

@downndirty Turns out that you can order it online in Canada. I've got 2 bottles heading my way, more than happy to forward one to you. DM me with the details.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Quick googling says i can buy it from right from them and have it shipped to me, then i could ship it to you.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Apparently FedEx is the only courier that will let us ship booze to the States, and even then you have to jump through some hoops.

All other couriers require that you be a registered alcohol shipper, and USPS outright refuses to ship.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

it all depends if down dirty wanted to gamble. just ship it as a present no need to tell them what is in it.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Could try that... I'll probably fed/ex it and not declare it other than birthday present.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

please tell me the other bottle is earmarked to gas up some of your sangria?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I actually picked up 3 bottles total... with 2 bottles for myself... one for me to drink, and one earmarked as a gift to my sister who collects "specialty" gin.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Wonder if they use water from Bow River? The falls there are gorgeous. That'd be a cool collectors item for sure.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's from the glacial water from the mountains in Banff... way, way upstream of the Bow.

I love fishing the Bow river... some of the best fly fishing around.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

haha! Way outside the scope of the thread, but I've only caught fish on a fly rod twice. Despite loving the concept and having tried to fly fish dozens of places and states over the last 20 years. Self taught probably has something to do with that.

Caught a ton of fish my first time trying. Bow River. I was like 14 I think. Only other time was some middle of nowhere creek in colorado.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Y'all are magical. Thank you.

12. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm looking to get into a new outdoor hobby this spring so I can get my sorry ass in shape while doing something fun. I've narrowed my criteria to:
    - an entry budget of about $600
    - little to no ongoing costs to engage in the hobby
    - something I can do with others or alone
    - something I can easily travel with

So far, I'm thinking of either buying an entry level hard-tail mountain bike or a kayak. I've got an insane amount of trails near me that range from flat and paved to rough and hilly. I also have ponds, lakes, rivers, and long island sound to paddle around in. I've done both and enjoy both. I can easily get a rack for either, but I also have a pickup truck, so I wouldn't need anything right away to travel. Storing either at my house wouldn't be an issue.

I think biking will be a little more accessible from an impromptu standpoint, but kayaking doesn't exactly require a ton of planning either.

Thoughts/opinions? Anyone been faced with a similar choice?

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Frisbee-Golf. Cheap; more fun and less lame than it looks. And courses are often free to play in, or build your own on a field.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Built my own wooden kayak years ago from Chesapeake Light Craft. It was this specific one (though at the time the kit was around $600; the plans are starting at $69... ha!). It wasn't difficult. I was 16 years old and managed. Still use it frequently today, though I've also purchased a fishing kayak which gets much more use. You can find a good kayak for pretty cheap on craigslist, or your local outdoor place will have them new and well within your budget. Of course if you're a little handy with basic woodworking, you can build your own with a set of plans. Those beauties are a functional piece of art. Though I prefer fishing, as it combines two of my passions into one, my wife and I absolutely love sea kayaks when we are some place where we can rent them and go exploring. You could also look into something like a small sailboat, which you can find within your budget, especially if you go used.

Any questions please ask. Fishing kayaks are more my knowledge base now, but I will try to get you the best answer I can or at least point you in the right direction.

15. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mountain bike in the summer so I thought I'd chime in. You can get a solid bike entry level bike for about $600. If you end up enjoying it you'll probably want to upgrade and they get pricy pretty quick (I'm currently looking at spending $1,500-2,000 on a new bike this year). My biggest issue with the hobby is that it can be tricky to fit it in. Where I live (Ohio) we get a decent amount of rain, and since I can typically only ride on the weekends it really limits to number of days available to bike. If we got a decent amount of rain Thursday-Sunday that weekends out for riding. I don't want to turn you off it though. It's an interesting hobby in that it's exciting and relaxing at the same time. I typically try to go in the early mornings so the trails are less crowded and before it gets hot. Biking up a steep hill in mid 80s with humidity is brutal. If you end up going that direction and want opinions on bikes let me know. Trek and Cannondale are the two most common entry level bikes, and they're both pretty solid.

16. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Appreciate the quick responses.

Regarding disc golf, I play with a few friends already. The thing is, we typically go through a 12 pack while we play, so it's not exactly the fitness solution I'm looking for.

Having thought about it more, I'm going the mountain bike route. I found some great seats for kids so I can go out with my daughter on the smoother paths, and with a trail entrance a 1/4 mile from my house, I'll be able to get out more with no prep.

Thanks again.

17. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're looking to stick to smoother or mostly gravel roads/trails/routes, a gravel bike might be worth a look as well. They're essentially road bikes with a longer wheel base, a more upright seating geometry, and clearance for mtb tires.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if this is the best thread for this . . .

Has anybody ditched their landline phone, if you have a burglar / fire alarm? My DSL service is terrible, and I was finally able to get Fixed Wireless from AT&T (which is cheaper and much, much faster). But, I kept the land line for my alarm. The extra cost for the cell version was more than I wanted to spend, and I get a pretty good insurance discount having the alarms hooked to a dialer.

I am wondering if anyone has had luck with a service for VOIP as a landline replacement. I have read mixed results about doing this. And, I'd like to keep my current phone number.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I used Vonage for years as a VOIP solution for my business. This was 10-12 years ago, and it was good then. I can only imagine that it will be better now.

The best part was that I could run a client on my laptop or phone so that the number would follow me on vacations, etc.

I had a fax machine hooked up to it, and that was the only minor problem that they had to "tune" away... the default settings didn't play well so they had to make a 1-time adjustment to get it working, and it worked fine for years.

They come with "phone adapters" which make it look like a phone jack to anything that needed it... I can't see a burglar/fire alarm system not working with it.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was wondering if anyone knew of any good over the counter supplements or remedies for arthritis for my dog? I can tell his joints are bothering him more lately and his desire to get up and go is starting to wane. I have a vet appointment today for him, but I'm hoping there might be something helpful that I can get more easily.