Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5061-737/Icefields-Gloves

I've got a few different sets of MEC gloves that do different temp ratings, but I quite like those.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is a pretty good temp rating for a fingered glove. Will look at it once i get home. Will end up ordering a pair and it is supposed to get to freezing this weekend and probably will not need them again but encase i do. Thank you.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've used them hunting in the winter for years. Perfect for just sitting there doing nothing when you're not generating any body heat (like by walking, etc).

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're looking at getting a Peloton but god damn are they pricey. We have a few friends who have them and they swear by them but if I spent $2500 on a bike, I'd tell everyone I love it also haha. Does anyone have one? Have a competitor? Pros/Cons?

Thanks.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s not just $2500, it’s that plus the monthly fee to use the service. My parents have one. If you have the money to blow, go for it, they are great. But there’s also a lot of competitors that are just as good and much cheaper. You can also get setups where you can put a road bike into a slot and have a similar work out. Or just buy a membership to a local spin studio.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

One of the big things they said they wanted to do with their IPO money was to build out a huge video content creation/streaming centre to increase the number and quality of their broadcasts, both live and canned... it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

If you have an existing bike that you like, my suggestion would be to try it on a trainer first. Those are far less expensive (that one is $90), and if you can get into a routine on that and have money to spend toward not only the peloton but the ongoing subscription cost, then yes absolutely go for it. Biking is an incredible workout, and from what I've heard the peloton video content is awesome. But I would make sure that stationary biking is something you enjoy and will enjoy for some time, first, before tossing down a few Gs.

$0.02.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have friends who have them and love them, however none of them ride on the road or MTB bike. Conversely, nobody I know that does ride owns a Peloton.

If you also plan to ride outside, as Rotn said, for the cost of a Peloton you can get a decent bike and a nice trainer (not the one ROTN linked to) for about the same price. Either way to get the most you'll likely want to use a subscription service such as Zwift, Trainerroad, Rouvy. Global Cycling Network offers free training videos on YouTube.

I ride several thousand miles a year and last year finally bought a trainer to supplement mileage when I need to stay at home with the kid. Let's just say, I'd rather get out on the road, but it is a good workout and it fills a role. Using it means that I'm in shape for the days I can get out on the road for long rides.

DC Rainmaker is a great resource for bike tech. He reviewed Peloton a few years ago.

Also, if you decide on a bike and a trainer, look on Craigslist and FB marketplace, etc. You will find lightly used ones for considerably less than brand new.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should've prefaced the question with that I don't have a road bike and am not very interested in getting one. The idea of riding for hours doesn't appeal to me. I'm looking for a way to do cardio that doesn't include plodding along on an elliptical. My BIL owns one and I've been talking to him about it. Of course he loves it but when pressed why he likes it so much vs a cheaper bike and using the various apps with a tablet, he replied that those setups don't get you "in the class" and being live is what pushes him. You can see how you're stacking up against other people real time and if you ride at the same time every day, you sort of end up riding with the same people so you start to build a friendly competition. They also have videos where you ride through various national forests, monuments etc and he says those rides never push him like the classes do.

I'm getting to the age where the gym is nice, and I enjoy lifting but I think I should get my heart rate up for health reasons.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Yeah I just went with a quick amazon search. You get what you pay for. I was really into it during the lance armstrong (pre-dopping admission) days, got a Trek and a higher end trainer for the bad weather days. Tried a roller from craigslist, that thing was an injury waiting to happen. The trainer was nice with a fan in front of it, but no way would it compare to doing 70-100 miles on the road. For me, road cycling was about the feeling of basically flying on the road. The moment it became a workout on a stationary bike, it fucking sucked.

@GTE if you want to do the cardio but not ride for hours, my advice would be to get a recumbent stationary bike (craigslist) and a good heart rate monitor with phone connectivity and tracking. Recumbent bikes are much better for you posture-wise and for the back, especially as you get older, and work more of legs than upright stationary bikes do (because you can throw yourself down on the pedals a bit so it's easy to cheat). Then when you do go to the gym, just lower weights and higher reps with little to no rest in between sets. Lift for cardio, again while wearing that heart rate monitor so that you can tell where you are exertion-wise.

The classes is also something to consider. Some people love them. My wife goes to orange theory and is all about it. I have to be very sociable at work, so when I'm in the gym I like to put in my head phones, crank some tunes and get at it for an hour. That's my "me time" and I don't need any motivation. Other people absolutely need the motivation of a class or social group, and they prefer for someone else to direct their workouts. Nothing wrong with either approach, but know which one works for you (the peloton could absolutely be used without classes btw, just that those are certainly big perks).

Not trying to talk you out of a peloton. If that's what you want and it makes sense financially, then by all means get it. It looks like a fantastic product and I believe it will be here to stay. But don't necessarily tie yourself to that idea if it doesn't align with your end goals for yourself health-wise. I could see my wife and I getting a peloton eventually for those days when we can't make it to the gym. But it would certainly be in addition to the gym and as a luxury, not in place of the gym or in order to further any fitness goals other than just breaking a sweat when our schedules get busy.

12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone know of a way to create a Gmail account without a phone number these days? I've spent the last hour searching for this, and none of the videos/ "tips" worked.

13. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Use an app such as 2ndLine to use a throw away phone number.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm trying to do something nice for my former partner. Our mutual friend's kid just got diagnosed with leukemia, it's the one-year anniversary of her grandmother's death and her life all-around sucks right now.

She fell in love with a specific gin out of Banff, and is running low.

Any of you Canucks willing to ship/smuggle me a bottle or three will be wildly compensated in exchange, or advice on how to get it down here in the MD/DC/VA area will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

20200229_030038.jpg

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I’ve never even seen it before. I’ll look around and see what I can find.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will look too

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just got back from the liquor store here in Ontario and sorry, they don’t have it and they aren’t able to order it in based on their supplier search.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, sorry the BC liquor store dont carry it either. You will probably have to get someone from Alberta to get it for you. Only one i remember on this board was queen bee.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

She's living on Vancouver Island now.

It seems like it's a bit of a local boutique distillery, which means it might be a year or three before they ever manage to get the volume to do non-local distribution.

For some reason boutique gin has gone NUTS here in Ontario... there's a whole isle in the local liquor store dedicated to gin, and probably half of it is local stuff made in Ontario. I've tried a bit of it, and it's actually pretty tasty, too.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

@downndirty FYI, I'm now reaching out to some folks in my Calgary office to see what I can do. The facilities manager there owes me a favour, so we'll see.