Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is anybody a whiz on Discord? I am participating in a game on a Discord server where I need to search for certain emoji reactions. I think you can only search for those if it's YOUR server. Let me know if you know any tricks.

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have an Arris Surfboard router that wasn’t cheap. It was supposed to be an upgrade from the Comcast one they give you.

All mobile devices need to disconnect and reconnect at least a couple times a night.

I’ve reset, switched channels, and done speed tests. It shows 10mbps but the speed isn’t the issue, connectivity is.

Is this a ploy by Comcast to make me lease one of their routers? I’m out of ideas.

3. Esian

Esian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Would anyone here have a good recommendation for the best Atlas for Africa? Judging from Amazon National Geographic seems to be the way to go, but all I can find is the full World that includes Africa, but I'd really like to find something more consolidated that doesn't include the rest of the world and I'm struggle bussing it this morning, apparently.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a couple friends that swear by Lonely Planet guides and maps, but I have not used them.
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/africa/

5. TheDiminished

TheDiminished
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This is SUPER late, but no, not a Comcast ploy to make you lease one of their routers. Modems should have a log of T3/T4 timeouts, resets, and signal integrity, and if these aren't the case, I would look at the WiFi settings on your router, or modem if it's integrated. I know that Netgear routers are known for being absurdly stubborn, and will act up if there is a pending firmware update.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im updating my resume and can't think of business phrase for wanting to be the industry leader in new ideas and product creation. Stupid buzzword that blew up a few years back, not trendsetter. Fucking irking me I can't remember it. Any ideas?

Edit: 'thought leader' gguuuhhlll

#2666 Kubla Kahn, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Industry guru
    Innovative mindset
    Jackhammer

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Those are three male stripper names. I used to go by “Turbo” or “Sledgehammer” myself.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was known as "Quantitative Easing"

10. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any divorced dads in here?

I have an 8 and 9 year old with my ex and they always want to be at her house.

I get that at that age it’s natural to gravitate to their mom more but if I didn’t force them to come over I would rarely see them.

It got to the point where they’d throw fits at the ballpark when they knew they were coming to my house and I just had enough. Now they only come over when they want to which is sometimes only once a week if that.

I’ve asked them why they don’t like being here and the answers always change and don’t make much sense when they do answer “they don’t like living near ‘the woods’”.

It hurt me a lot in the past but I’m to the point now I don’t want to fight with them about it. I just don’t want them to grow apart from me but I’m out of ideas.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm considering a move to Texas (DFW). Any of you idiots in that range?

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean I’m a few hours south of that area but I’ve spent a good bit of time in the region. You looking for any specific advice?

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Dallas proper or one of the suburbs around it?

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Suburbs. Denton, specifically.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have some questions about recording someone else's songs. Does anybody know the answer to these or a good resource to find the answer?

I have worked on some fund raising projects and produced a couple compilation CDs. These consisted of some original songs, some previously recorded songs, and some cover versions of other songs. For the original songs, we didn't have to do anything special. For the previously recorded songs, we were granted permission from the artist and copyright holder to use on our compilation. For the cover versions, we used a service (Harry Fox Agency) to pay a fee. Basically, we paid a price for how many units we printed / sold, so the songwriter/ artist got a small residual fee.

But, all that was because we recorded someone else's song, and sold our version commercially. I also know that if you use someone else's previously recorded version in a movie or even in your organization's marketing video, you're supposed to have synchronization rights for that. And, I know on YouTube you can upload covers, depending on the song, and the mechanical license, and whether or not you or the artist makes money on the video. But, what about if someone records an album, with mostly original music, but also records a cover version of a song? And, that song is uploaded to Gracenote, so the track metadata will rip properly. If only a few copies of the CD are pressed, and they are not sold for any price, is permission from the original songwriter still required?

And, if permission is not requested, and the unauthorized version is out there floating around the internet, would that result in some simple cease and desist request, or is that a criminal act?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If it’s for personal use you should be fine.

If you’re mass distributing it for no cost that’s an issue for the tracks you have no rights to.

Almost the same as “bootleg” recordings.

Will it cause you problems? Totally depends on the artist in question and the services they’ve hired to protect their IP.

For instance, Bryan Adams actively collects, hosts, and distributes bootlegs from his fans because he loves them and it helps spread the word.

Metallica? Not so much.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our neighborhood has restrictive covenants. There are square footage minimums for new home construction based on one story, one and one-half story, two story and larger.

I know what *I* think those things mean, but I am having trouble finding an actual definition. I will probably call an appraiser, but I've already had two realtors tell me different answers. Does anybody know where I can get an AIA or HUD or actual legal definition?

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Might be best to pay a real estate attorney $100 or so to look over whatever documents you’re referencing from if you’re planning to build a new home. HUD might be a place to start, but it can be jurisdiction by jurisdiction.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks, yeah, it's not me, it's someone that wants to build in our neighborhood. And, our attorney is gone for the day, but I will ask her on Monday. I was trying to find something I could give the new homeowner to give them an idea.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Never trust a Realtor. I was a Realtor at one point, all I had to do was pass the license test and pay money to join Realtors. I didn't know shit, just how to pass the state and national test and write a check to the Realtors. They make it out like it's a big deal being a Realtor, it's really not...you pass the state and national test and then you write a check to join their club. That's it. Any moron can pass the tests. I did.