Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could also be that the battery is completely fucked. Lock motors and LED lights require a lot less juice than those other things, and the more complicated electronics like the radio will have a cut-off voltage below which they will not run.

Most cars still have some sort of voltage readout. It should probably be somewhere around 17-18v while the engine is running. Anything below 11v is a bad sign for the battery. If it stays around 11.5-12v with the engine running, the alternator isn't working.

#2621 Clutch, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, the shared area between mine and my neighbor's house is basically a swampland. A couple of reasons for that is because this year I had a new patio put in and that's the area they used to get all the equipment back and forth, so the ground got all tore up. The contractors put in new topsoil and grass seed when they were done, but it hasn't fully settled. The other main problem is that my neighbor's gutter on that side of her house is hanging on by a thread, so it's always spilling over into that part of the yard. I also don't think that part of the property has ever been properly graded to allow for proper draining.

My question is, other than waiting until spring and just throwing down a shit ton of new topsoil and trying to self compact it, is there anything I can do to make that area less prone to constant water pooling?

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know, man... I'm not so sure a bit of topsoil will help what you've described. If the equipment packed down the topsoil, you've now got less drainage (due to the compaction), as well as sloping issues.

Hopefully a bit of topsoil does the trick, but worst case I'd look at something like a French Drain to get some real/proper drainage out of the area. Especially if it's between your houses, because that's just more water around your respective foundations.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should have added, that while they did put down new topsoil after the construction, it wasn't to the level that was there previously, so it actually created a bit more of a valley than was already there, so the sloping (or lack thereof) is definitely an issue. I need to put down more topsoil to at least get it back up to level regardless, just wasn't sure if there was anything else I could try while I'm doing that.

I'll definitely look into the drain option though.

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17-18 volts is WAY too much. That can damage your electronics and fry your battery.
    Most manufacturers recommend around 13.5-14.5 while running, though there are some minor exceptions.

I agree with everyone's advice so far, but I want to add this: check/ clean your battery terminals. I've seen something as simple as dirty terminals cause all kinds of weird issues in cars.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will second that 17 volts means a bad regulator. Most I have seen are around 14 to 14.4 volts but Dixie would know more then me.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definitely try what Dixie said. It's worth a shot. If it is the battery that's a way cheaper/easier fix so might as well try that first, but if your lights are going to dim while you're driving that's a pretty bad sign.

8. Nmw20

Nmw20
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Changed out the battery and have had no issues so far. Put about 1200 km on it in the last week, so hopefully I’m good.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good to hear.