Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could also be that the battery is completely fucked. Lock motors and LED lights require a lot less juice than those other things, and the more complicated electronics like the radio will have a cut-off voltage below which they will not run.

Most cars still have some sort of voltage readout. It should probably be somewhere around 17-18v while the engine is running. Anything below 11v is a bad sign for the battery. If it stays around 11.5-12v with the engine running, the alternator isn't working.

#2621 Clutch, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  2. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, the shared area between mine and my neighbor's house is basically a swampland. A couple of reasons for that is because this year I had a new patio put in and that's the area they used to get all the equipment back and forth, so the ground got all tore up. The contractors put in new topsoil and grass seed when they were done, but it hasn't fully settled. The other main problem is that my neighbor's gutter on that side of her house is hanging on by a thread, so it's always spilling over into that part of the yard. I also don't think that part of the property has ever been properly graded to allow for proper draining.

My question is, other than waiting until spring and just throwing down a shit ton of new topsoil and trying to self compact it, is there anything I can do to make that area less prone to constant water pooling?

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know, man... I'm not so sure a bit of topsoil will help what you've described. If the equipment packed down the topsoil, you've now got less drainage (due to the compaction), as well as sloping issues.

Hopefully a bit of topsoil does the trick, but worst case I'd look at something like a French Drain to get some real/proper drainage out of the area. Especially if it's between your houses, because that's just more water around your respective foundations.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should have added, that while they did put down new topsoil after the construction, it wasn't to the level that was there previously, so it actually created a bit more of a valley than was already there, so the sloping (or lack thereof) is definitely an issue. I need to put down more topsoil to at least get it back up to level regardless, just wasn't sure if there was anything else I could try while I'm doing that.

I'll definitely look into the drain option though.

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17-18 volts is WAY too much. That can damage your electronics and fry your battery.
    Most manufacturers recommend around 13.5-14.5 while running, though there are some minor exceptions.

I agree with everyone's advice so far, but I want to add this: check/ clean your battery terminals. I've seen something as simple as dirty terminals cause all kinds of weird issues in cars.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will second that 17 volts means a bad regulator. Most I have seen are around 14 to 14.4 volts but Dixie would know more then me.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definitely try what Dixie said. It's worth a shot. If it is the battery that's a way cheaper/easier fix so might as well try that first, but if your lights are going to dim while you're driving that's a pretty bad sign.

8. Nmw20

Nmw20
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Changed out the battery and have had no issues so far. Put about 1200 km on it in the last week, so hopefully I’m good.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good to hear.

10. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Does anyone know do you say "apologize" in Russian? Not how to offer an apology, but how to tell someone that they need to apologize.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

In Russia, typically a gun to the head should do the trick.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can somebody explain to me what these scams are? Like, how does it work, and what exactly is the scammer spoofing, and to what end?

These "sellers" are not like ones where they have "0" feedback or are from China / Russia or whatever. So, are they actual sellers, who have decided to run some kind of scam? Or, have these sellers' accounts been hacked? And, if it's the latter, what are the trying to get? Just for fun, to fuck with somebody? They can't get an actual credit card number, and the funds would be refunded (I guess?) from PayPal or eBay if it's not legit, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayS...738039?hash=item442f069a77:g:NZEAAOSwa1ZcBTSj

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStatio...267516?hash=item260c2151fc:g:T9AAAOSwhspcBT53

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The links are already dead.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to post a couple more, because there were still about 15 of them this morning, but they're all deleted now. Oh, well. They're all assholes, whatever their game is.

15. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So there's a fluorescent light above my desk at work that has become the bane of existence. For the first few years I worked here, the bulbs were burned out and all was well with the universe.

Then recently they came around and replaced all the burned out lights on the floor. This fucker is right above my head, and is so bright it makes my eyes twitch. It glares directly off my monitors too so it makes it hard to see my work.

I called maintenance and asked to have the bulbs removed, but they said "no, we don't do that anymore. If it's uncomfortable, you can order an ergonomic assessment and if it's deemed too bright, then we'll remove them."

That could take months, and they'll probably say it's not ergonomically detrimental anyway.

So my plan now is to just steal the fucking bulbs because fuck them. The problem is I have no idea how to open this stupid light casing. The ones in basement have tabs and latches visible so it's really obvious. I poked around this thing and can't find anything.

Any idea how open/close a fluorescent light fixture like this (while keeping intact so it doesn't look broken).

(Edit: Sorry those broken image links are the same picture. I tried to link them from imgur but it didn't work and apparently I can't delete them)

20181221_071257.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2635 Whothehell, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

That looks like something you can just lift up, angle down and slide out.... but honestly I wouldn't do that.

Maintenance does their job, not your job. Just mention it to your boss or someone who is familiar with your work and in a position to change it. Let them know it's affecting your ability to work.

17. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn’t touch it. Possible termination.

Just wear sunglasses

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Raid the supply closet for sticky-notes and cover it. Or masking tape. Or tape cardboard over it. Or spray paint it.

Failing that, buy a tent:

[​IMG]

But yeah... if you're in a work environment where you (a) have facilities guys to do that shit and (b) they're basically telling you to fuck off, that screams to me "no, don't destroy shit myself"... and they probably look at you removing lights as destruction.

19. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That would so many other problems too....We have a winner!

But ya you guys might be right. Not worth the disciplinary action that could ensue if I pull the bulbs.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have this Troy-Bilt Generator
    [​IMG]

It's been pretty solid. Other than when a mouse built a nest and messed up the wiring for the oil cut-off, and took a while to figure that out. Anyway, I had it down near the river using it to run some lights for a party around Christmas. We have had crap ton of rain since, and I didn't bring it back up to the house. I just covered it with a tarp. I usually keep an eye on the river flooding and know when I need to move stuff. About a week ago, the river came up 9 feet in less than 24 hours and flooded through the bottom. My generator was almost completely submerged and is totally fucked. I have no idea where to start. I can start taking things apart and draining fuel / oil and all that. But
    a) is it salvageable?
    b) what things do I need to look out for?
    c) is the engine the most likely (or only) thing to worry about? Or, is the alternator screwed, or can it just dry out?

I let it dry out for a couple days, and I didn't see any milky color in the oil. The highwater line was right at the muffler and carb, and the gas tank stayed dry. So, I wasn't 100% certain it was fucked. I puled the starter cord once and now it's siezed.