Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Good to hear.

2. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Does anyone know do you say "apologize" in Russian? Not how to offer an apology, but how to tell someone that they need to apologize.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

In Russia, typically a gun to the head should do the trick.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can somebody explain to me what these scams are? Like, how does it work, and what exactly is the scammer spoofing, and to what end?

These "sellers" are not like ones where they have "0" feedback or are from China / Russia or whatever. So, are they actual sellers, who have decided to run some kind of scam? Or, have these sellers' accounts been hacked? And, if it's the latter, what are the trying to get? Just for fun, to fuck with somebody? They can't get an actual credit card number, and the funds would be refunded (I guess?) from PayPal or eBay if it's not legit, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayS...738039?hash=item442f069a77:g:NZEAAOSwa1ZcBTSj

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStatio...267516?hash=item260c2151fc:g:T9AAAOSwhspcBT53

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The links are already dead.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to post a couple more, because there were still about 15 of them this morning, but they're all deleted now. Oh, well. They're all assholes, whatever their game is.

7. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So there's a fluorescent light above my desk at work that has become the bane of existence. For the first few years I worked here, the bulbs were burned out and all was well with the universe.

Then recently they came around and replaced all the burned out lights on the floor. This fucker is right above my head, and is so bright it makes my eyes twitch. It glares directly off my monitors too so it makes it hard to see my work.

I called maintenance and asked to have the bulbs removed, but they said "no, we don't do that anymore. If it's uncomfortable, you can order an ergonomic assessment and if it's deemed too bright, then we'll remove them."

That could take months, and they'll probably say it's not ergonomically detrimental anyway.

So my plan now is to just steal the fucking bulbs because fuck them. The problem is I have no idea how to open this stupid light casing. The ones in basement have tabs and latches visible so it's really obvious. I poked around this thing and can't find anything.

Any idea how open/close a fluorescent light fixture like this (while keeping intact so it doesn't look broken).

(Edit: Sorry those broken image links are the same picture. I tried to link them from imgur but it didn't work and apparently I can't delete them)

20181221_071257.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2627 Whothehell, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

That looks like something you can just lift up, angle down and slide out.... but honestly I wouldn't do that.

Maintenance does their job, not your job. Just mention it to your boss or someone who is familiar with your work and in a position to change it. Let them know it's affecting your ability to work.

9. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn’t touch it. Possible termination.

Just wear sunglasses

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Raid the supply closet for sticky-notes and cover it. Or masking tape. Or tape cardboard over it. Or spray paint it.

Failing that, buy a tent:

[​IMG]

But yeah... if you're in a work environment where you (a) have facilities guys to do that shit and (b) they're basically telling you to fuck off, that screams to me "no, don't destroy shit myself"... and they probably look at you removing lights as destruction.

11. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That would so many other problems too....We have a winner!

But ya you guys might be right. Not worth the disciplinary action that could ensue if I pull the bulbs.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have this Troy-Bilt Generator
    [​IMG]

It's been pretty solid. Other than when a mouse built a nest and messed up the wiring for the oil cut-off, and took a while to figure that out. Anyway, I had it down near the river using it to run some lights for a party around Christmas. We have had crap ton of rain since, and I didn't bring it back up to the house. I just covered it with a tarp. I usually keep an eye on the river flooding and know when I need to move stuff. About a week ago, the river came up 9 feet in less than 24 hours and flooded through the bottom. My generator was almost completely submerged and is totally fucked. I have no idea where to start. I can start taking things apart and draining fuel / oil and all that. But
    a) is it salvageable?
    b) what things do I need to look out for?
    c) is the engine the most likely (or only) thing to worry about? Or, is the alternator screwed, or can it just dry out?

I let it dry out for a couple days, and I didn't see any milky color in the oil. The highwater line was right at the muffler and carb, and the gas tank stayed dry. So, I wasn't 100% certain it was fucked. I puled the starter cord once and now it's siezed.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pop the spark plug out and pull it some more. If it's hydrolocked then the fluid will come out of the spark plug hole. Just swap out all the fluids, put in fresh gas, let it run for a while... it's not like it's a high performance, low tolerance engine... it might run a bit shittier than before, but meh, no big deal if you ask me. You may need to have the coils/windings cleaned, but most electric motor shops are shockingly cheap to have work done. Or just spray a whack of electrical contact cleaner in there... or even wd40... something to displace water and remove gunk.

That being said, I wouldn't be too worried about the gas engine or alternator, it's the electronics I'd be worried about.

Get it running, then find something that you don't care about and get one of your friends to plug it in, see how it goes.

If it doesn't work, check for current off the alternator. If that looks good, then look for a replacement rectifier part on the internet and swap it in... you could even find something off-brand. If you're feeling really lucky, rip the electronics apart and look for something that melted or rusted, and try replacing it.

I mean, it's only electricity and gas explosions... what could go wrong?

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet, thanks for the spark plug tip - that's what I needed. I will try that.

I didn't see the step where you said set up the video camera first.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's implied... I gave you some credit.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have a friend of the family that REALLY fucked up a generator... as in a really nice, whole-home job that runs north of $5k.

Her husband died, and she was alone with her 2 useless kids in a really nice country estate just outside of the city... they had it custom built, on 5 acres... I fucking love the place.

Needless to say the rain was hitting pretty hard one night, and then they lost power... and the generator didn't kick on. They went out and looked at it, in the dark, with a flashlight... and saw that it had a "low oil" warning so it wasn't automatically turning on... and the sump pump wasn't running, and the basement was starting to flood.

Panic was setting in.

She found a case of oil in the garage and put a quart in. Then another. And another. She had no idea how much oil to put into the thing so she filled it to the top, just like you would gas. Needless to say it only had a low oil warning, not high oil warning, and in the process of filling it will all the oil ever created, the cylinders were flooded with oil. When she tried to start it constantly for about 20 minutes with the super high-powered starters running off of a few deep cycle marine batteries, she totally fucked over the engine... bent a whole bunch of internals.

I got a call at 1am asking if I could come out to look at it, and I heard the story... just bowed my head and took out my small generator to run the sump pump.

The repair guy came out a couple days later and was speechless... and felt really badly that it had to be scrapped. He ended up buying the carcass off of her for way more than it was worth and rebuilt it himself.

She had me come out and help teach her how to keep the oil in her various engines.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I forgot to mention that you'll want to look down into the spark plug hole to see if you can see the piston rising while you're turning it over. Look for compression craters in the piston head to see if it was damaged due to being hydrolocked.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I once watched a guy siphon gas out of a lawnmower using a run-of-the-mill household vacuum cleaner. He quickly found out what could go wrong.

I can see a lot of people making that mistake. It’s certainly a mistake you you won’t make twice, that’s what getting scorched and nearly blown up does. But there are people who have NO concept of anything mechanical. It gets alternately hilarious and frightening.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Success! Thanks Nett.

Popped out the spark plug, pulled, no water spitting out. I thought, hmm, ok. Took out the oil drain plug - the first thing that comes out is like a cup of clear water, then oil. Oops.

So, I drained the oil. Flushed through some fresh oil. Then I took the air filter off. Soaked wet. Took the carb assembly off. Full of water. But, the fuel was fine in the tank since I had closed the valve. Took it all apart and sprayed it all with carb cleaner. Skeeted a little starter fluid in and out the plug back. Pulled a couple times and it was all clank clank sounding. I was like oh oh. Then, wammo! Fired up and spit about two cups of water out of the exhaust. Lol. Ran a little shaky, but then, purrs like a kitten. Well, not that good, but good as before! I had taken off the electrical panel, and let it dry. Plugged up some test stuff and viola.

Thanks again.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Now hurry up and sell it for lots and buy a non-flooded one.