Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just prints. Budget is flexible, depending on what I am getting.

I will take a look at that again. Last time I looked in my small town, it was way to expensive.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is your town too small to have a Walmart? It's like $25 for the first 175 pictures or something, and then it gets a little cheaper after that. They put it on a DVD in sortable files.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, it’s something like seven cents per photo scan there I think. Pretty cheap.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will take a look at it. Yes we do have a Walmart, but it isn't a normal one. It is a small on in a mall not a stand alone building.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@wexton I wouldn't trust Wal-Mart with my archive scans but it depends on the needs. If they're just looking to get their photos onto a digital format so they can see them again, Wal-Mart or another cheap scanning service is probably fine. If they're trying to archive their physical photo collection so they can retain it for a long time to come, they might want to pony up for a service.

Something to consider here: this is going to take hundreds of hours. Scanning photos is time consuming. It's painful. "Thousands" is a ton - it's going to take, conservatively, several minutes per photo to scan, color correct and save. My budget question wasn't exactly academic - you can spend a few hundred for a good photo scanner, and spend a couple hundred hours scanning. You could spend a few hundred for dirt cheap photo scanning to just digitize your photos so they aren't rotting in a box. You could also spend $0.25-0.50 apiece for very high quality photo scanning. How much is their time worth?

You don't have to find it locally, there are plenty of online services that will do it.

If it were me? I'd spend a few hours sorting the photos into "worth scanning" and "not" piles. Then I'd send the "worth scanning" piles out to a good online scanning service

If they are willing to sink a lot of time into the project, buy a good flatbed scanner and have at it:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...B11B198011_Perfection_V600_Photo_Scanner.html

I've never used one of these, but it's another option, albeit a lot more expensive:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...b246201_fastfoto_ff_640_high_speed_photo.html

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit I just got one off amazon that handles 35mm up to slides. I'll have to try it out and let you know. I've got thousands of pics my dad took I want to scan. It was like 85$.

Jumbl 22MP All-In-1 Film & Slide Scanner w/ Speed-Load Adapters for 35mm Negative & Slides, 110, 126, & Super 8 Films https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LU0XO3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_93oqHZWrbQ8xq

7. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do any of you have experience with selling tickets through stub hub or somewhere similar? I have some masters tickets that I got for my boyfriend but it turns out we’d both rather have the $$$. So I’m trying to figure out what the best/most secure way of selling them might be. Any advice would be appreciated.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have bought and sold a LOT on StubHub. I've been doing it for probably 10 years, and only had one problem. One time, I bought two football tickets that were supposed to be next to each other. When the actual tickets arrived, they were not. I called StubHub, and they immediately FedEx'd me two replacement tickets that were equivalent. StubHub is easy to use and offers excellent buyer protection.

9. Soonergal

Soonergal
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This one goes out to the Canadians... El husband and I are taking a week long trip to Banff in September of this year. We're thinking we're going to Airbnb our lodging and as I look, it seems like Canmore is a good spot to stay. Can anyone who's familiar with the Banff/Canmore area give me some ideas, pointers, insight into anything that would help contribute to an awesome stay? This is my first trip to any spot in Canada and I'm really excited about it. Any input I can get from y'all is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I did a quick Google for "banff vs canmore" and this came up: http://banffandbeyond.com/staying-in-canmore-versus-banff-as-a-base-for-the-rocky-mountains/

After reading it, I would say it's spot on.

If you're looking to be able to walk around and immerse yourself in the action/activity, then Banff. If you don't care about that, then Canmore.

11. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I live in Calgary. I can give you lots of stuff to do in the area. September is a great time to come out, still pretty warm during the day, but it gets a bit chilly at night. You'll have to go to Larch Valley at Moraine Lake to see the Larches changing colour. It'll be stupid busy so go early (8am), but they run a shuttle up from Lake Louise to the moraine lake parking lot.

Be careful about Airbnb in Canmore. Their council just passed a bylaw that limits airbnb listings to locations in commercial areas only, and they have started handing out fines to private owners. Either town is fine as far lodging/restaurants etc. Banff is a little closer to the action so to speak. My preference is banff, but that might be only because I've stayed there more often.

If you have the inclination to stay in a rustic log cabin: It's expensive, but my absolute favourite place to stay in the area is Storm Mountain Lodge. http://www.stormmountainlodge.com/. Treat yo self! The scones for breakfast are outstanding.

Places to see:
    Moraine Lake/Lake Louise - Make sure to see at least one of these. There are some great hikes in the area. You can hike up to the tea house(s) at Lake Louise. Lake Agnes is a little shorter but amazing, and the plain of the six glaciers teahouse is pretty awesome (you can get right up to the toe of Victoria Glacier).

Visit the banff springs hotel in banff. Pretty cool looking castle and some areas are open to the public to walk around. Just talk to the concierge.

Drive up highway 93 towards Jasper. It's like driving through a postcard. The columbia icefields are pretty cool. But there's lots of other gems. Bow Lake is amazing and right on the highway.

You can do the Via Ferrata (https://summer.banffnorquay.com/adventures/via-ferrata/#via-ferrata) at Norquay. It's like mountain climbing with ladders. I did this at Whistler Mountain in BC and it was super fun.

The bow falls trail in banff is pretty short and the falls are pretty impressive.

You can take the gondola up at Sunshine Ski Resort (I think it's still open in September) and walk around in the Meadows. Pretty amazing views.

There's a gondola in Banff at Sulphur mountain. There's also a hiking path up that's not too strenuous and it's free. The hike is 5.5kms (3.5 miles) with 655m of elevation. Should take you about 2.5hrs up.

If you have a car a trip out to highwood pass in Kananskis on Hwy 40 is cool. It's the highest paved road in Canada. Lots of places to stop along here as well.

Yoho national park (20 mins past lake louise) has takkakaw falls which are pretty awesome.

You can go trail riding with horse outfitters.

The hiking options are pretty much unlimited. If you want to go hiking, let me know what kind of hikes you're interested in (Easy, Moderate, Difficult, Approximate Length) and I can suggest a bunch.

PM me if you want to know anything else or have questions about something specific.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would definitely suggest driving to Jasper. Such a beautiful drive. And personally I think some of the lakes on the side of the road are better then Lake Louise.

13. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Does anybody have any experience with Lennox High Efficiency furnaces? Model EL296UH110XV60C-04. It periodically makes a strange noise on startup (maybe once every 10 starts). Its more of a vibration that's shaking the duct work than anything else, then it subsides and the furnace starts up normally.

I had a service tech come out and look at the unit. He couldn't replicate the vibration and said the inducer fan and blower fan are both fine and working correctly. But I could replace them both for $600. The parts are covered under warranty.

Since he came out the noise has returned. I managed to get down to the furnace and pull the error code off it. It's throwing an error code E311 when this happens. "heat rate reduced to match indoor blower air flow. replace filter or repair duct restriction".

I pulled the filter and replaced it with the spare filter I had. No change, and it's still making the noise.

I had recently changed filters to the cheaper $30 one vs the $45 one I was using previously. So I thought maybe the cheapo no name filter wasn't rated for the air flow. Bought a new $45 filter and popped it in yesterday. Still no change.

I'm going to check my air intakes and exhausts on the house. It's been intermittently -30 Deg C, and warming up to -5 - 0 Deg C for the last little bit with some snow sprinkled in there. I'm wondering if I have a bit of an ice dam or blockage in one of my vents. Or maybe some critter decided to get out of the cold.

Google has been surprisingly useless in troubleshooting this, and my gut says replacing parts that are seemingly good with new parts won't fix a thing. Anybody a furnace tech or has HVAC experience that could point me in the direction of some troubleshooting before I call the service tech back? I should also say I have an HRV as well. I've also just cleaned the filters on it as well.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Stupid question... but are you putting the filter in the correct way? They have a definite airflow direction, and if you get it backwards, it can really impede airflow.

Also, are your airflow settings on the controller in the factory default mode? They are usually a set of dip switches. If they weren't properly configured by taking static pressure measurements of your system, it might have the improper ramp-up settings that would cause it to trip.

So if your furnace guy just came out and installed it without doing any measurements, then it might not be properly tuned for your duct flow.

15. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd start by checking your blower fan. It may be loose on the motor shaft or the hub may be cracked. That would allow it to work sometimes, but if it's slipping then there won't be enough airflow and it would likely make a noise from the vibration.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Good call.

I automatically assumed that the blower would be attached with a key of some sort, which wouldn't let it slip like that.

17. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

First thing I checked was the filter direction. In my typical paranoia, more than once actually. It's in the correct way.

I'll check the dip switches too, but the furnace is 5 years old and this is the first time it's made noise.

I'll check this as well. The vibration happens when the draft inducer fan starts up. The vibration stops before the blower fan kicks on. It's just a little 6 or 8" housing, I wouldn't have thought that fan has enough rotating mass to vibrate the ducting like it has been.

Thanks for the help!

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You might have something like a mouse in the blower fan that might be causing it to vibrate as well... just because it's slightly out of balance.

19. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Me thinks I found the problem.....

Plugged Vent.JPG

HRV intake vent was almost completely blinded off. I cleaned off the vent and haven't heard the vibration yet. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure.

It's a variable speed furnace so I figure when low fire heat was called there was enough air available that the furnace would start, but if high fire was called the HRV couldn't supply enough fresh air into the house, creating the vibration on startup and the furnace reverted to low fire mode and threw the error code.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. I think you may be right.

Funny how a quick visual inspection really sheds some light on things.

I always found it funny when people would be driving and then feel/hear something, but never actually look to see what it might be... and then as soon as they did look, it was blatantly obvious what the issue was.