Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

"Call the cops, they're fuckin' again!"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Volo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So, am I the only one here who wants to smack the chick for screaming so loud that the fucking cops were called? Who taught her how to fuck, Teri Weigel?

2. shadowofadoubt

shadowofadoubt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm Canadian, but I've never had more than a passing glance at The Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I don't think I'm alone on this, which is bad. I do not condone my own apathy.

However, I have listened to some rap in my day and in the immortal words of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" "Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit. Enough that you won't illegally search my shit." Easier to read and memorize anyway.

Educate yourselves, people:
    "And I heard 'Son do you know why I'm stoppin' you fo'?'
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hat's real low
    'Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo'?'
    'Well you was doin' fifty five in a fifty four'
    'License and registration and step out of the car'
    'Are you carryin' a weapon on you I know a lot of you are'
    'I ain't steppin' out of shit all my papers legit'
    'Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?'
    'Well my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk and the back'
    'And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that'
    'Aren't you sharp as a tack are you some type of lawyer or something?'
    'Or somebody important or somethin?'
    'Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit'
    'Enough that you won't illegally search my shit'"

3. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yet. After talking to a handful of police acquaintances who openly admitted that they've gone looking for arrests on Friday nights because they wanted the following Saturday off, I've developed a very healthy, very solid mistrust of any authority figure who carries a gun. At any time. For any reason. Sixth months of academy training and a year of probationary detail might make them trained, but it sure as shit doesn't make them ethical.

It's their duty to catch criminals. It's our duty to watch them like hawks and keep them in check.

4. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not even remotely.

There seems to be a disconnect with some people about police officers. I understand the nature of the job requires these people to put their lives on the line and protect the citizenry, and for that reason I have a degree of respect for what they do. At the end of the day, though, it's still a job. They still collect a paycheck, they still receive benefits, they still have a pension fund. On top of that, though, they are given power above and beyond that of a normal citizen.

If you're an accountant, a bad mood or a fight with your spouse or a desire to be lazy might mean some paperwork doesn't get done one afternoon. If you're a cop, the stakes are immeasurably higher. Just like every other job you can think of, there is a percentage of assholes who signed up for the sole purpose of taking advantage of their position and who have no qualms about bending or breaking the rules if it serves them. An added benefit to their specific position is that oversight is limited. Everyone knows that cops protect cops. Who can blame them, really? More importantly, who's going to stop them? Politicians? Ha.

The way I see it, that percentage of cops who abuse their power, however small, is enough to mistrust all of them. Not convict them, mistrust them. Somebody said a few posts back that all police assume they're being lied to. That's a two-way street. You pull me over and assume that I'm bullshitting you? I assume that you're looking for a quick collar to fill a quota, or that maybe you just don't like my face. If I detect that you're trying overstep your boundaries, I will make things as difficult as I possibly can. This is not paranoia or wanton assholery, my friends. This is good citizenship. Never blindly assume that anyone with power is looking out for your best interests, or that they are willing or capable of restraining themselves within the confines of the law. Make them prove it to you.

5. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I feel like I may be one of the people that experiences a bit of a disconnect between cops. I've had several encounters with police, and barring one incident, I've never had any reason to think the way you people do. I've had them show up at my door and ask if they could come in, and I said no. They shrugged and didn't care. Same thing with traffic stops. We were pulled over at a RIDE program they said set up after busting a party, all of us under age (but sober), but still with liquor in the car. They asked if we had been drinking, we said no, they asked if we were on our way to the party down the street, our answer was "not anymore", and they just moved us along.

The only incident I had was where a friend of mine got arrested after beating up 2 people at a party. The cops showed up, arrested my friend without bothering to get the rest of the story, and then when I was trying to get his home phone number (I only had his cell) to let his parents know, they threatened to arrest me too. I still wound up getting his number, and after actually listening to how the whole thing had unfolded, they let him go without even charging him with anything. Not exactly a horrible experience, but the one fat fuck cop was still a dick.

Outside of that, I've been caught with liquor in public, involved in bar fights, been wasted in public, thrown outrageous house parties and basically any other illicit student activity you can think of. Every single time I was straight with them, and every single time they just told me to stop whatever it was I was doing and left. I've never paid a penny in fines, and I attribute that to my being honest and not a dick.

Those of you who are of the "I distrust all cops and make their job as hard as possible" aren't being good citizens and aren't really doing much in the way of changing the system. You're fucking yourself over, and in my opinion, you're the people helping to breed the asshole cops that will arrest people for no reason, conduct illegal searches, etc (though yes, there are still a few that come into the job with the express intention of being a dick). Maybe you disagree with the law you're being hassled for breaking, but that's not the cops' problem. They don't make the laws, they enforce them. If someone can point out where I'm going wrong with this, I'd really like to know. In my ideal world, I would be able to walk around drunk out of my god damn mind with a beer in each hand, wherever and whenever I want. However, this is not the world I live in, and thus, when a cop pulls me over for doing exactly that, my first thought isn't "what a dick!", rather, it's "oops, I got caught, now how I minimize the punishment". I even understand why that law is in place, even if it isn't convenient to me personally. Again, if that makes me a bad citizen, please enlighten me as to how that is.

6. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, I just love that damn bold function. Right-o, here I go again:

You, sir, are conflating distrust with obstinance and purposefully difficult behavior. No one here (with the possible exception of Dixiebandit) is advocating that you flip the bird while pissing on police boots/screaming "Yer not gunna take mah rights away, PIG!" That is just silly. What we are all saying is that blind aquiescence to a police officer is, frankly, bullshit. Think of police officers as salespeople--it's their job to sell you on the idea that immediate compliance/waiving your rights has some sort of benefit to you. It's your right, as an educated consumer of their services (i.e. citizen) to read the fine print and assess whether or not that is actually the case. Would you buy the first TV you see at Best Buy just because the sales person was intimidating and in a position of authority? Certainly not, you'd want to look around first and see if there are better TV's available than the one you're about to purchase. Same deal, only instead of purchasing a TV you're actually protecting your well-being from any potentially shady officer. Neither scenario requires any disrespect to the salesperson or officer--a simply polite "No thank you, sir/ma'am I'd prefer to wait for another associate who can assist me/a warrant" is perfectly acceptable. No one can find fault with that statement or the tone it was made with.

And I'm very confused about your ideas on good vs. bad citizens. What, pray tell, does a "good" citizen do? Does a "good" citizen fall all over herself apologizing to the officer at her door and invite said officer into every nook and cranny of her home, all in a concentrated effort to make her lifestyle transparently lawful? Does a "good" citizen waive his rights to privacy, ignoring the sinking feeling in his gut as officers rifle through his kitchen trashcan and go through his personal belongings? Or are you yet again conflating two unrelated ideas, being a "good citizen" with being a "blindly compliant" citizen? Why do you think that asserting your rights makes you a "bad" citizen? Why do you think that "...you're fucking yourself over..." if you calmly assert your rights during a police encounter?

The implication is clear: Someone, somewhere, at some point, has cultivated a policy of blind obedience in you. Maybe it was your parents--they didn't want to deal with a 7-year-old who questioned their authority. Maybe it was your pre-school teachers--they didn't want you to rebel against snack time at 2:30 and lead a toddler crusade towards the monkeybars. Who the fuck knows/cares...you're an adult now and it's time that you started understanding the difference between "asserting your rights" and "being an assertive asshole in the face of lawful consequences". If you get pulled over while driving drunk, no one is saying that you should fight the cop because you're an Amurrican and it's yer right to do whatever you want. That would be "being an assertive asshole in the face of lawful consequences." But you are under no obligation to let them administer a blood test in order to determine your B.A.C., not when other lawful options for determining that information are available. That would be "asserting your rights."

In other words, letting someone run over your rights because you "didn't want to be a bother" makes you French.

7. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

At no point did I saw asserting your rights makes you a bad citizen. All I did was respond to Beefy Phil's assertion that being a dick to cops is the responsibility of any good citizen and say that that isn't true. At no point did I say that "blind acquiescence" is the way to be a good citizen...at no point did I ever say what would constitute being a good citizen. All I was saying was that if you fuck up, you aren't being a good citizen by being a dick to cops. That's not to say you're being a bad citizen, but associating dickish, often uninformed behavior in regards to cops because they're hassling you for something you did wrong isn't good.

8. breakylegg

breakylegg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

SGEDIT:pM stuff like that. Okey?

9. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't make me break out the bold function again.

Re-read Beefy's post and show me where he says that "...being a dick to cops is the responsibility of any good citizen." Do it, and I'll blow you topless. Right, you can't. The closest you'll come is the following statement:

Which, by the way, does NOT mean one must be a dick to the police in order to be a good citizen. What it DOES mean (and Mr. Beefy can correct me if I'm wrong) is that he takes his police encounters on a case-by-case basis, and determines on an individual basis whether an assertion of his rights is necessary. He's not being paranoid--there are probably many cases where he simply keeps an eye out for an officer trying to overstep his/her legal boundaries and it never happens. He's not being a wanton asshole by pleading the Fifth at every chance he gets. What he means is that he will combat shady bullshit from those wearing badges with an assertion of every single one of his rights. And, for the record, anyone who doesn't blindly comply makes certain police procedures more difficult than they would be with someone who happily complied. "Being difficult" doesn't mean being dickish (again, you are all about the conflation today...where in the world did you get "being a dick" from anything in Beefy's post?). "Being difficult" simply means that, after your polite request for a warrant, the officer will have to fill out some paperwork before he gets a chance to peek inside your medicine cabinet.

And, since you asked:

And yet......

Since "making their job as hard as possible" is something as simple as asserting your right to a warrant, and the opposite of "aren't being good citizens" is "being a bad citizen".....then.......(I'll let you fill in the blanks).

10. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No one is "creating" anything. Those asshole cops already exist. They always have and always will, because the job has a tendency to attract people who crave authority. Yes, it also attracts people who want to help, and serve and protect. But the authority-whores are the dangerous ones. And it's a special kind of power they possess, because unlike elected officials and military leaders, there are relatively few dues to pay. Roughly 18 months of training, and you are a sworn officer of the law with the ability to arrest and use deadly force if you see fit. If you think there aren't people who sign on to the force, licking their chops at the prospect of being able to control people without consequence, you're being frighteningly naive. Those individuals, however few and far between, are enough to make me wary of the entire institution, and each of its individual agents, until said agents have earned my trust as a citizen and a taxpayer.

Also, and this might be my youthful arrogance talking, but any cop jaded enough by the work to abandon his duty to uphold the law without using illegal search and seizure or unlawful arrest is fundamentally corrupt and should have his badge taken away. I've heard this argument so many times, and I'm so fucking sick of it. I'm sorry if they've spent fifteen years on the force patrolling high-crime inner city areas and that their views on race, ethnicity and social class have been altered by the fact that their weak, stupid brains can't move past their own moronic correlations, but that doesn't justify a fucking thing.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Friend sent me that link last night, couldnt have been more timelier. From personal experience and expert legal advice my lawyer informed me that (in ohio) there are no legal ramifications for refusing field sobriety test. That he advises 100% of his clients to refuse 100% of the field sobriety test requested by police. The test are not structured to be passed, the police do not look for indicators of sobriety but only indicators of drunkenness. You would not believe the vast number of seemingly inane indicators they use for each test.

As far as the argument at hand, there is a big difference between calmly and politely asserting your rights and starting a scene that gives them a real reason to arrest you. Living in Clifton and going to UC for a shade under a decade Ive seen this happen a thousand times. By all means assert every right you have but DO NOT give them a real reason to arrest you. You will just end up with a bigger wrap sheet and a bigger bull's eye on your back.

#51 Kubla Kahn, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty damn distrustful of the po-po, and take civil liberties fairly seriously. But even I have to stop you here.

It's a joke? Why? If you're going to dismiss decades of Supreme Court precedence and Constitutional jurisprudence as "bullshit," I think you need a little more than hand-waving and unsubstantiated opinion.

Exactly what substantive reasons makes the plain-sight exception bullshit?

With all due respect....DO NOT LISTEN TO ABOVE POSTER WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR LOCAL LAWS. In some states, refuses such tests do in fact carry consequences, and if you refuse a breathalyser, you could end up royally fucked.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't worry I put the (in Ohio) part in for that very reason, we always had drag down knock out fights on the last board about this same argument. The real lesson is that you should learn any and all local laws to a T. It was shocking news to me when I consulted my lawyer about a hundred different things involved with traffic stops and DUIs through out my court case. The breadth and detail of hundreds of laws can be staggering but knowing the facts can save your ass.

14. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For every instance of "conflation" (I would argue that I have a pretty good grasp of the concepts at hand, but that's just me) you see in me, I see an inability to differentiate between black and white in you. Just because someone isn't a "good" citizen doesn't make them a "bad" citizen, which I apparently can't hammer into your head. When I say "making their job as hard as possible doesn't make you a good citizen", then that doesn't default to being a bad citizen, and it is hardly conflation to associate "making someone's job difficult" with "being a dick". What I'm trying to say is that making a cop's job difficult when you see fit isn't necessarily an integral part of being a good citizen, which is in fact what Beefy Phil said.

Something else to clarify - I don't consider asking for a warrant or anything of the sort to be making their job difficult, I consider that something they should automatically do. When he says "make their job difficult", I just have an image of some moron in a car screaming about how "I PAY YOUR FUCKING SALARY" and just being a douche in general.

This is the essence of where I disagree with you. At no point have I advocated blindly accepting the symbolism of the badge and instantly applying it to whoever is wearing it. I don't know if it's how you want to come off, but I'll I'm taking from everything you say is that you are instantly distrustful of anyone in any position of authority. I'm unsure whether you have any sound logic behind this or whether it's some horrible attempt at trying to shun the status quo, but to me, this sort of statement just comes off like come 14 year old wearing a "FUCK GEORGE BUSH" t-shirt at an Anti-Flag concert without really knowing why. Yeah, there's shit in the news every day about a cop doing this or that that oversteps the boundaries. I would argue that the instances in which the police do something heroic, or just positive in general grossly outweigh the negatives. You sound like a guy that has had one too many speeding tickets and has made it your mission to hate cops because of it.

As I said in my original post - I'm not here to push blind acquiescence to those with a badge. If some cop pulls me over and tries to toss my car for no reason, I'm sure as shit going to do whatever I can to stand in his way, regardless of whether I have anything to hide. I'm saying that you come off to me as instantly distrustful and standoffish to any sort of authority figure until they give you reason not be. To me, you have a pretty uninformed basis for this. I would argue the majority of those with a badge are alright people, looking to uphold good, or whatever boy scout slogan you want to throw in there. Your idea of being distrustful of anyone in power is somewhat misguided, in that it probably just perpetuates the negative stereotype you have of these authority figures. It's like a 10 year old walking into his first day of class and thinking he's going to be stubborn until the teacher gives him reason not to be, just because he has some problem with authority. He's going to do that, the teacher is going to be a dick to him, and the cycle will continue. When some cop pulls you over, they can probably feel the contempt coming off you, which to be honest is all it really takes for them to go from a person to an automated authority figure. Remember that - cops are people too. If someone is a dick to you in your place of work, odds are you're going to be a dick back, or at least not help them out if/when the time comes. Cops are people too, and they don't have any reason to help you out if the first thing you start doing when you get a speeding ticket is demanding to see the radar, asking for their badge number, or whatever it is you do in that situation. If they tossed you down in cuffs for doing that then fuck yes, the first thing I would do is advocate for your civil rights. But when you start doing annoying shit like that, it's no wonder you don't catch a break.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good point man. In Texas (up until a few months ago), you can refuse all tests and technically the refusal cannot be held against you.

Of course, when I got pulled over because I had a tail light out in Austin (the very worst city in Texas to have an alcohol offense in. If you like smoking pot though, that's the place you want to be) and refused the breathalyzer, THAT WAS USED AGAINST ME IN COURT (Fuck you judge Crain, you miserable grey-haired bastard).
    Of course part of that conviction (in my opinion at least) was the result of laziness on the part of my attorney, David Reynolds. If you are in Austin and get in trouble, don't hire that asshole. He was a condescending prick who did less work than my Hidalgo county public defender did. All he did was take my money. I would have been better off (financially at least, because I did end up having to serve jail time for that case) just pleading guilty before the judge.

Just in the last few months though, the Texas state legislature said that blood samples can be taken from DUI suspects against their will.
    But what happened earlier this year when a cop in my area got wasted at a Chili's, got kicked out, and crashed into a parked car? He refused all sobriety tests (including the now-mandatory blood tests, but once his court hearing came up, THE ARRESTING OFFICER (one of his fellow officers) DIDN'T SHOW UP TO COURT, SO THE CASE WAS THROWN OUT! )
    http://www.themonitor.com/articles/court-34812-arresting-dwi.html

"Did they arrest the officer who didn't show up?" you wonder?
    NO, OF COURSE THEY DIDN'T! HE MUST HAVE HAD A GOOD EXCUSE.
    You try the same thing and see what happens.

You are dead on about this. It doesn't matter if you ace every other test; if you fuck up in the slightest on any test, that is logged as a failure, at least in Texas law.
    Here is how roadside sobriety tests are carried out by the Texas State Troopers:

Eye astigmasis test: (you look at a pen/pencil while the cop shines his/her flashlight in your eyes, and they move it around in a bunch of unexpected ways, and you CANNOT MOVE YOUR HEAD, OTHERWISE THAT TEST IS LOGGED AS A FAILURE. Typically, they move the pen to areas that are out of the normal range of vision for any person who has not practiced themselves at it and hold it there for many seconds, resulting in stressed/cramping/tiring ocular muscles)

Standing on one foot (you stand on one foot [your choice!], your other foot about 1 foot off the ground, your hands/arms against your sides. You are asked to count for however long the officer wants, typically 30 seconds, sometimes longer. If at any time you lose your balance or move your hands/arms from against your sides, THAT TEST IS LOGGED AS A FAILURE.)

Walking 10 steps (you have to walk 10 [actually 20 steps] steps, heel to toe in each direction with your hands/arms against your sides. If at any time you do not bring your heel against the toe of your shoe, stumble, or raise your hands/arms from your sides, THAT TEST IS LOGGED AS A FAILURE.)

OK, let's say you aced all three of those. Then there is the roadside breathalyzer. Do any of y'all know how fallable breathalyzers are? You can say no, but that results in immediate arrest.

HERE IS THE PART THAT PISSES ME OFF THE MOST: ACCORDING TO TEXAS LAW, AN OFFICER CAN STILL ARREST YOU IF THEY DEEM YOU TO BE UNFIT TO DRIVE. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.
    I have been arrested twice under these cirumstances, and yes, they were near the end of the month. I am still fighting one of them.

ALL YOU COP LOVERS OUT THERE TELL ME THAT THAT PART OF THE LAW ISN'T WIDE OPEN FOR ABUSE.

16. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because I didn't include a disclaimer at the beginning of my post that said "In the first place, you should all know I don't hate cops", that must mean I hate cops? I'm not playing that game anymore. I'm not qualifying my opinion with that nonsense. I think the numerous, blatant statements I made regarding the respect I have for police officers and how the number of bad cops is outweighed by the number of good are sufficient.

Again, you're extrapolating what I wrote to the extreme worst-case scenario. Where did I say that anyone should be 'standoffish'? What I said, and what Pinkcup did a damn fine job of methodically plotting out for you, was that a police officer attempting to overstep his legal boundaries would meet with resistance. What does 'resistance' mean? It means I would demand that he desist, then demand a warrant, and then his badge number, and then a lawyer. All things to which I am legally entitled.

And guess what? While asking for all of these things, I'd be the most respectful guy in the world. I'd maintain my composure, keep an even, measured tone in my voice, say 'please' and 'thank you, officer'. Sweet as pie. He need never know that I don't trust him. Frankly, I doubt he'd give a fuck either way.

That's awesome. I would argue that, too. And did. Three times.

Since I've already debunked your belief that I advocated open hostility to police officers, this metaphor goes right out the window. What I said was that past evidence (in substantial quantities) confirms that people with authority have the capacity to abuse it. I then pointed out why police officers are specifically prone to that kind of abuse. You call it a 'negative stereotype' if you want. I'll call it history.

Despite your insinuations about my character, I have no inherent problem with authority. I simply see no good reason to presume that someone in a position of power is trustworthy until they prove it. I'm not asking for a background check on any cop who pulls me over. There's no need. The people who tend to abuse their position usually can't resist doing so and make themselves known with a quickness.

What this all comes down to is you thinking I've said a whole bunch of stuff that I never, ever said. If you insist on forming your argument around points I never actually made, I don't know what to say to you.

I've also never gotten a speeding ticket. I've never been arrested, cuffed, detained, questioned, or even yelled at. In fact, every encounter I've ever had with the police has been relatively pleasant and consequence-free. And yet, I still don't trust them until I'm sure. Fancy that.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Around these parts it's urban legend that Texas has the most lax dui laws. Ive heard open container is legal there as long as the driver isn't drinking.

As for Ohio law, refusing the Breathalyzer carries a one year license suspension that is mandatory (the length goes up if you refuse on multiple occasions). This is separate from the DUI charge as even though I was found not guilty of DUI I still have the suspension until it's up in a month. But I avoided possibly failing the breath test and having a DUI on my record for life. There is a mandatory blood test for people facing their 4 or 5th dui charge, they are allowed to take the sample by force. In Ohio if you refuse the breath test the state must prove "appreciable intoxication" that is defined as "noticeably intoxicated," the jury asked to have the latter defined and as the judge told the jury and my lawyer told me THERE IS NO DEFINITION, it is based off of what your life experiences with noticeably intoxicated people have been. Luckily I looked damn fine on the tape and the arresting officer discredited himself pretty badly during questioning.

All those examples you gave of the field sobriety test are exactly what I am talking about. These are all standardized by NTSHA. The eye test, which is supposed to be the most accurate, is so exacting that it is nearly impossible to recreate it perfectly in any given situation, not to mention your eyes naturally have a slight dart to them when sober. Mine was thrown out before the trial because the officer screwed it up so bad.

My cop was an overzealous dui chaser. He was known as "the dui cop" of his district and routinely had the most citations for it. During questioning at the motion to suppress he was very cocky about his record and claimed to have dealt with intoxicated drivers on every single shift that he has worked. Exactly the type of cop that is looking for you to move your hand away from your side or step further than an inch from your heel to toe, just to bust you. My lawyer had encountered him before and new the guys prowess and his prowess for fucking things up. He took him apart when he got on the stand and he lost all of the cockyness he had in the motion to surpress.

18. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See this guy fucked up. What I would have done is told the cops they couldn't come in. If they insisted because of the "screams" they heard I'd simply start fucking the girlfriend in front of them so she could replicate the screams.

Fawkes: "Did it sound like that officer?" (pounding away Patrick Bateman style)

Cop: "Umm, yes, yes I suppose that explains it."

Fawkes: "Wait a minute I think I had her bent over like this." (Screams get louder)

Fawkes: "As you can see she REALLY likes it like that. The volume and pitch of her screams go waaaay up when I do this!"

Cop: "Thank you sir. That's enough. You folks have a good evening now." (Trying to walk away)

Fawkes: "No thank you officer. Sure I can't offer you boys a nice glass of lemonaide before you go?"

That's pretty much solves everything.

19. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I remember seeing it linked on here somewhere:

Could someone please provide the link to that sheet you can give cops if/when you get pulled over stating that you do not authorize a search/wish to speak/will participate in a test/etc?

I not only want that for my purposes (I do NOT plan on driving drunk; it's just-in-case something happens), but I feel it'd be relevant to this thread as well. I'm also not offering any legal advice saying that the mentioned form is legal, or holds legal merit; I don't have the education to say either way, yet.

20. falconjets

falconjets
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

People make this shit a lot more difficult than it has to be. Yes, there are some dueschbag cops out there.

When I was 17 I was driving home from a friends house at about 12:15 am and was coming up to a green light. I looked away from the road, light turned yellow, looked back and since the streets were empty I went through instead of slamming on my brakes, light turned red about 3/4 of the way through the intersection. As I came through the intersection I saw out of the corner of my eye a cop hiding out behind a truck in a parking lot and got off the street I was on hoping that by the time he got out of the parking lot I'd be off the street and he'd call it quits. Next thing I know I see flashing lights in the mirror and he pulls me over.
    Officer first takes my license/reg/insurance and goes back to his car, then comes back to do a sobriety test. Cruised through that and then another cop comes up and the first officer comes to me and says, "He's going to stay here I'll be back." 15 or so minutes later the officer finally comes back (long line at dunkin donuts that night) and he spends another twenty minutes in his car. Finally comes and hands me 4 tickets (imprudent speed, red light, stop sign and an expired insurance -- handed the wrong card, i had insurance on the car). I'll be the first one to admit that I was being a bit of an idiot, but if the tickets hadn't gotten thrown out it would have cost me ~$4,000 in fines to the great state of NY plus the insurance hit I would have taken. He obviously knew this.
    tl;dr -- run in with cop over ticket, I deserved one ticket, not the four that he wrote but he hadn't taken his Mydol that day I guess.
    I still respect cops and I walk into any situation assuming first that they are the good guys. I can't say for certain that if a cop comes to my door whether I will let him in or not, all based on the situation, I'd lean towards no. But, I would say it in a respectful manner and treat him with respect. The way some of you are writing on here you give off this vibe that as soon as the cop came to your door "No Fuck you, you're not coming in I know my rights motherfucker"