Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Call For Mods -- Apply Within

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's a huge issue, IMO.

Zero Tolerance does not work, and neither does blindly following the rules.

Mods have to be willing to take a look at the context and make a call, sometimes in direct contravention of the rules, stated or implied.

That's the job.

$0.02

2. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Cool. I'll withdraw my name then. I'll stick with my nominations then.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Re: Long-haired freaky people, need not apply

I'll bet you my entire livelihood that I would never ban anybody.

Except YOU. Fuck you, dude. I've never trusted you and never will. Just like the rest of this board. You are hated, completely.
    oh shit, that was hard to type while laughing.

4. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As others have already admitted to this, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't throw my name in to the mix. I don't post as much as many of the current members, but I'm on here a lot during business hours(EST). I like to think I'm level headed and wouldn't drop the ban hammer just out of spite. (Well, maybe just once to see what it feels like.)

As for the other members who have thrown their hat in the ring, I think they all would bring their unique perspectives, world views and a little added spice back to the board which has been missing as of late.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

May poll

How many mods do you need? Can you could just make it a poll? List the top 10 people that have been mentioned or made a convincing self nomination, and have TiB vote. Top 3 win or whatever. That way, those elected will feel a sense of responsibility to serve the people who elected them. I mean, that always works so well in politics. Ha ha ha ha ha. Speaking of term limits and mods, where is shegirl? Curious if she knows Nett is back. Also, maybe with a firmer hand and increased activity, Blue Dog will come back.

6. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A suggestion for the politically leaning threads - give them a time limit from the tenth response to remain open, that way they're not going for days and beating a dead horse.

Just a thought.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Re: May poll

Shegirl is here every Friday, Bluedog still makes sudden cameo appearances now and then.

8. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Re: May poll

Making modship a popularity contest never turns out well. I've seen other forums collapse for it.

9. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll throw in another vote for Juice.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Another nomination for Bewildered, Happyfunball, and VillageIdiot.

I have too much respect for this place to suggest myself as a mod.

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My ideas on mods can be summed up thusly:

--Must be active here
    --Should be someone that doesn't get in a heated argument at the drop of a hat. That, to me, indicates a lack of self control, and someone who might drop the ban hammer at even a small slight.
    --I like the idea of fewer mods, or specialized mods. Like: one person in charge of moderating the pop culture board, another for the permanent threads, one for sports, and two or three for general discussion. Split responsibilities would lessen the stress for mods and not suck the fun out of this place for them.
    --Should be someone that has been around for a while and plans to stick around.

IWantSomeJuice seems like he's be a good mod, as does Bewildered. They both seem like reasonable, active posters.

12. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: The Mod Squad

I totally understand where you're coming from, it's not an unfair criticism. However, should I be a mod, I'd consider it a responsibility and would not just disappear. That I can promise.

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would gladly throw my name in the ring, but I know most of you don't like me, so that probably would go over roughly as well as when supertramp was made a mod. Then subsequently unmoded. And finally wish death upon. I don't want to have death wish upon me.

This is the input I have on whomever gets the call up- please don't make it someone that's entire life is this board. The board was basically ruined by people that turned this into their social club.

Politics/gun control/religious debate should be banned as all they do is polarize people no one changes anyones mind. No matter what side of those debates you are one their is a certain level of herpderp you have to have in order to be passionate about either side. It turns lots of people off.

As most of you know, I constantly bitch about how this (and more so the RMMB) used to be my favorite website in the world. The lack of moderation and direction has essentially turned this into a facebook where people can post the racist/fat/oversexualized/mean things they don't want their real friends to see. There are only a handful of posters left. Hopefully we can get back to a place with many different minds to bring many great ideas and many awesome stories. Less flame wars, and less straight up people being mean to one another because no one has any authority over them other than red dots.

Good luck to whomever that is that takes on this beast.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you leave because of the mean shit ROTN said? Also are you <a class="postlink" href="http://crip89.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://crip89.tumblr.com</a> ? And how could you start a new blog, telling BCWoods, and not this website? Hopefully things are improving Mr. Wheelz.

15. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What does the job pay aside from stupid amounts of green dots?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The chicks dig a man with power. Just sayin.

17. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was part of it, yeah. I just don't need that bullshit. The other part was that all I saw was drunk threads and that's not very interesting.

Also, yeah that's me.

18. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So that's a no on pay?

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Are there moderators who get paid out there in the web? How would you pay somebody to do it? Isn't the ability to strike fear into the hearts of men just plain money on its own?

20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll mod just to ban the bots/spam stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.