Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Cabin Fever

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D26, Jan 9, 2014.

1. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When winter stretches on I like to practice mind-numbing wood carving:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is, when I am inside. There's still plenty to do outside (by that I mean hiking and playing in fresh snow, fishing and hunting) and it's fun as long as you dress right. My dog helps drag me outside too since he doesn't walk himself.

2. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck your life.

Then again, I was holed up in an 800 sf apartment with 7 people in it. Maybe fuck my life.

3. Guile

Guile
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If I were suddenly unable to leave my apartment for an extended period of time, I don't think it would bother me in the least. In fact, I think I'd enjoy it. For example, I never shop at actual physical stores anymore except for convenient food shopping at a nearby market. But grocery, beer, liqueur, and weed delivery is all available. Pretty much delivery anything is available. And like many of you, I've got my books, video games, tv, internet, guitars, recording equipment, etc. etc. to stave off boredom. I bet I could easily go a month without actual spoken correspondence with anyone.

But then, I'm probably a bit misanthropic. I find that people (in a broad sense) are mostly terrible, albeit generally not consciously. That is, people are terrible, not malevolent. I much prefer small groups and individuals.

4. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's somewhat relevant that I did spend several weeks stuck in my apartment on disability leave after spinal surgery, not just unable to leave my home but barely able to leave my chair. Eventually the lack of human contact gets to be damn depressing - fortunately I had my brother there to help out with ordinary house keeping until I was able to stand again. Even my cat took pity on me after a while, and he's a crazy asshole.

I had been keeping my hair short enough to cut it myself with a clipper, but I grew it out to deliberately need to go to Knockouts so I could have some female contact.

Anything after about a week to ten days alone is probably pushing it.

5. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I haven't known it for nine years either, but I moved to the desert for this very reason. Not that I mind being stuck inside; if I were independently wealthy, I'd become a borderline shut-in.* I was never completely shut in in Illinois for more than a day; I ran out of excuses to not go to work sooner rather than later, and a decade ago decided that I'd fucking had it with cold weather.

*=Even then, I'd have to get out of the house sometimes. I'm definitely not agoraphobic, and those exclusive Bellagio penthouse coke orgies just wouldn't be the same without me...

6. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only time I've been unable to leave my residence was last year when the typhoons hit Korea and we were forbidden to go outside. But I lived in a 5 story dorm building so it was just two days off work and partying.

As far as keeping busy I'd workout from home, fuck around with little projects around the house and shit I've been building, and brush up on some German skills. Maybe read a book but I haven't read shit in like 6 months. Oh, and prepare extravagant meals for myself since I have all the time in the world. Assuming I have the internet I'd probably catch up on all that gaming I haven't done since I moved. I could probably last 5 days that way but I need shit to do and people to interact with.

7. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    What I really meant was that "because it's wintertime" is a shitty excuse to stay inside all the time. I work ridiculous hours during the warmer months, so I have 3 months in the winter where I get to play. I get it that some of you hate the cold and don't enjoy wintertime activities, but if that were the case for me, I'd move. But seriously, if you can't go outside for more than an hour without getting cold, you need to invest in some better clothing. It's the 21st century now, it doesn't cost much to stay warm.

8. AdrianSSS

AdrianSSS
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just moved to central Maine and since I'm a dirty foreigner I can't get a license yet, which means no insurance or financing for a car.

No car means I'm stuck only going places I can walk to - grocery store, gym, one bar. That, combined with the freezing fucking weather we've had the last couple of weeks and the fact that I don't have any real social life yet, means I spend a great deal of time in my apartment, and I'm perfectly content.

I've got Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and heating that my landlord pays for. Why the fuck would I want to go outside? This is the first time I've lived without roommates, so I thoroughly enjoy hanging out by myself.

9. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate layers. I hate being bundled up. Getting into my car wearing a beanie, scarf, goose down, long sleeve shirt, cold weather legging, wool socks, and uggs is just fucking annoying. It's the same reason I hate wearing a bra. Being constricted is fucking aggravating.

10. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Like I said, you need to invest in some better clothing. If you have to wear more than one extra layer and it feels restricting, you're doing it wrong. Also, fuck wool socks.

11. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just how cold is it in Texas that you need to bundle up that much to be in the car? I used to bundle up less when walking into work at -30 temperatures.

Also, do yourself a favour and grab one of these:

[​IMG]

And DangerBoy, don't you dare smack talk wool socks. Wool socks are the tits. They insulate when they're wet, they absorb humidity, are fire-resistant and anti-bacterial so they don't stink up like regular socks.

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wear nylon business socks under them wool socks and you'll be set. If you really wanna be comfy in the winter, go with synthetic long underwear, layer with fleece over that, and wool on top. Dress in more layers than not, and keep a hat on.

We are accustomed to it. After being in cold weather for a couple weeks, my blood seems to develop a natural antifreeze and stays warm. That or I'm just used to acclimating once the temps drop.

13. Evil Teddy Bear

Evil Teddy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I am probably a bit of an oddball, but I absolutely love isolation.

I spent about five years never leaving my apartment (roomie did the shopping). Ever watch Half-Baked? You know Guy on the Couch, right? I was Guy in His Room.

I had several toys to pass the time. PS2, DVD's, stereo, books, ye olde interweb.

Best 5 years of my life.