Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Bypassing the Man

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Apr 3, 2011.

1. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The owner of that farm showed my dad the books when he was trying to convert us to poulty. So yes, that person has an extra 10 grand a month in the bank.

And yes what I said is true, because the more money the bank gives you the more quota you can buy. So lets say every million dollars nets you $15k a month. If $7k a month goes to debt repayment your left with $8K a month for expenses. Well now you go to the bank for 4 more million dollars (over a period of time of course) and your debt repayment maybe a total of $35k but now you have an income of $40K a month which for poultry farming is a fuck of alot of money. Now you go to the bank again for 2 million dollars. That brings your debt repayment up to $49K but your income per month is $56k a month.

I said the same thing to one of my friends when he told me their farm was leveraged and mortgaged to the tits, but he said to me "would you rather be worth 7 million dollars with 4 million dollars in debt, or be worth 4 million dollars with 2 million dollars in debt."

2. Rising Sun

Rising Sun
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I would just like to say something here, probably something that was more revelant 2 pages ago, but I work as an exterminator for an EXTREMELY large international chemical "corporation".

If anyone thinks that there is a modern, approved pesticide that causes more harm than good, you are way misinformed.

I get blasted with pesticides every night, 40+ hours a week. If you really want to get sick, hang around insect and rodent fecal matter for awhile and let the good times roll.

There was a study where people ate DDT for 2 years and were fine. Even if it had side effects, the net benefit greatly outweighed the millions of deaths due to malaria and starvation on 3rd world countries that now have become common significantly due to pest infestations.

I guess some people would rather have tea with Rachel Carson than save some brown kids in Africa.

But I digress.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Even though DDT kills ticks, mosquitos, and other disease carriers, it hurts swamp plankton, how can you support that you monster?

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

?
    [​IMG]

The eggshells! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE EGGSHELLS!!?!?!

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure if you did this as a joke, but your tone (can you have tone on the internet) here is EXACTLY why people are annoyed. It's the idea that you* talk like going off the grid and not shopping at big supermarkets IS healthier and more ethical and that's that. Not that you'd personally rather support local farms and the like, but anyone that doesn't is unethical and unhealthy.

And for the record I probably eat more local than any of you fuckers, I can see the chicken coup where I get my eggs from and the cows my milk comes from from my bedroom window. And I personally do buy into the whole farmers market is better than large supermarket idea as well (I don't care what anyone says, I can TASTE the difference), but I don't go off spouting like my food habits are absolutely better than someone who gets their groceries from Stop and Shop or BJ's.

*I realize that you back off and say that you're not passionate about either side and don't judge, but your first sentence was perfect to pick on since it's the view of many in that boat.

6. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

So what? The domestic horse and buggy industry was wiped out when Ford went buckwild with the model T. Should we have kept them around as well? Creative destruction is the process by which capitalist economies progress. If the domestic industry loses on the market then too bad, the foreigners won and they deserve it. It also benefits American consumers more than it hurts American farmers.

You know what else keeps the price down? More competition.

National morale? Really? National morale survived the death of many industries. You're worried about other countries chuckling that we can't feed ourselves? Who gives a flying fuck when we're the richest god damn nation on the planet. No one is going to be fighting over corn. Comparing oil to corn is among the stupidest things I've ever read on this board. They have nothing in common.

I can't believe the pushback I've gotten on this issue. I was under the impression that anyone who had studied the issue was against farm subsidies and it was farmers and lobbyists that kept it alive. I guess that's not the case.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I seriously can't tell if you're trolling or not. If you can't see the point of what I'm saying, then there's no use in saying anything further.

8. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Perhaps we can look to the South Park Bible on this whole small business being "more ethical" strain;

wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)