Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it'd be worse if we started using the term "Ace in a day"

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I genuninely thought manifesto was the appropriate term for "lunatic political/social commentary from a terrorist". Lone wolf is kinda dumb.

I mean....these people are suicidal. That's a mindset we associate mostly with sadness (ie, depression), hopelessness, or angst. I can say from personal experience that depression can feature a vicious cycle of sadness, frustration, and rage. Suicidal and enraged, or perhaps outraged is where some of these shootings are coming from.

We have to resist the urge to villify or dehumanize these folks, in part, because that plays into the mystique they are seeking. Also, because we failed them first. I say that to mean, I can't envision a scenario where someone commits this kind of act that is justified at an individual level. It's an inherently unjustified act. It's tragic enough to take one's own life, but to do so and take others with you...it's a monstrous way of sharing the pain the shooter lived with. So, why does it occur?

Because we as a society, failed them. At one level or another, this sort of act is preventable, and yet consistently, we do not. Someone like this, who is so young, feeling like they had no choice, is a collective failure. I can't abide calling them monsters or animals or dehumanizing or villifying them....they are sick, and untreated. Calling them monsters just plays into their pain, and ensures the next shooter understands the pain they seek to inflict will happen, it will be successful and the image they wish to leave behind will be forever cemented.

We domesticate animals of all sorts, all the time. The rabid ones we put down, sure. We also vaccinate against the virus that causes it. We teach folks what to look for. We keep our animals separate to minimize the risk. We are vigilant caretakers most of the time. And when we encounter a rabid one, we do what we have to do. But we also acknowledge that when we encounter a rabid one, it's a final failure in a successive chain of them.

In 2018, there were 63 rabid dogs: https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/index.html

In 2022, there were 647 mass shootings: https://www.nytimes.com/article/mass-shootings-2022.html

We treat rabid dogs better than people.

As long as that continues, so will the violence.

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, you know what I just realized?

The Nashville cops released the body cam footage THE VERY NEXT DAY, whereas the Uvalde cops tried for weeks to cover theirs up.

Almost like the cops only show video footage when it makes THEM look good...

Welp, those Nashville boys better be on their guard, because the next gun totin' tranny is going to know what their methods and tactics are.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did have the thought that they move very quickly past locked doors, only clearing rooms that are open. A future shooter, having learned that from the bodycam footage, could enter a room and lock it, allowing them to be in an area the police believe has been cleared. That would allow them to shoot the cops in the back, escape, etc.

5. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After a quick search, looks like MNPD is pretty quick with releasing footage, usually within a week, with a variety of situations.

In my opinion, I don’t blame them for wanting to immediately distance themselves from the Uvalde shitshow.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s a coincidence. Just like how that sheriff just announced they will “no longer post any mugshots publicly” the second his own daughter gets investigated for felony child abuse.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nothing new in those tactics at all. Standard fast response tactics.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

"I hear gunshots from over there, let's check these obviously vacant rooms right here."

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The intitial team going in is to move as quickly as safely possible to contact. You check the door, if locked you keep moving towards the gunfire.

Follow on teams go door to door clearing locked rooms. This is to be initiated as soon as enough officers arrive to form another team and so on.

It's situational and regional training dependant, but almost all will tell any civilians found in those rooms to relock the door and to stay in place until confirmed the shooter(s) is neutralized and the facility is cleared for IEDs or other booby traps.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So does anyone want to talk about the "RESTRICT" act going through Congress, which is basically a "Patriot Act" for the internet?

Or maybe about how a bunch of countries are dropping the Petro-Dollar?

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We called our own bluff and showed the world that actually, we're kinda full of shit. And we've done very little to convince the world that no, we're still the same badass we've always been, or pretended to at least. We're living thru the start of the End of American Hegemony, so to speak.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which country, or group of countries, is going to step into that role? I vote for Australia. It'll be shrimps on the barby all the time and they can ship out kangaroos, because every country should have some of those in the wilds. I think it will calm the pronoun people because it's remarkably fun to say bloke and sheila instead of she or he.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think it's going to go the other direction. US hegemony is going to get stronger, not weaker. It's just going to look different than it did during the immediate post-Cold War era.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The opportunity is there, but it depends entirely on whether we step on our own dick or not.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

We can step on our own dick as much as we want (and we will at every opportunity), it just not going to matter that much.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Spoken like a man who has never stepped on his own dick. Shit hurts, yo.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My nest of pubes protects it from external attack. I hope whoever is monitoring my keystrokes on my work computer sees this.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having just seen the Wheel of Time series on Amazon:

the-wheel-of-time-blight (1).png

#15918 Aetius, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Imagine the Napoleon complex tantrums Putin is throwing right now, knowing Finland just joined NATO and is right next door— his worst nightmare.

This is exactly what he didn’t want, and his own fuckery sealed the deal for him.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Not only that, the Best Friends Summit Russia and China had last week sounded nice for them, until China went home and immediately started having economic partnership meetings with former Soviet states (Kazakhstan, etc.).