Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm trying to get myself in the mindset that the worst thing someone is famous for is not at all worth judging their entire life over. So, AP's little discipline problem doesn't invalidate his experience as a player, or as an African American, he just might need to sneak out of the back of the PTA meetings.

But the owner of the Redskins on the other hand....let's just say he's not exactly royalty in the DMV....and how much longer do you think the team will be called the Redskins?

Also....https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFrea...ne_of_the_officers_involved_in_george_floyds/

I get how this dude didn't think he was famous enough to get recognized, or that it wouldn't be a big deal if it was. I can see him only making that mistake once. It's a little stupid to not change your appearance or wear a mask, but I can see how once inside the situation he doesn't realize the magnitude of it to the larger public.

I'm curious how cops that get famous for these incidents will respond to suddenly being "outed" in public or unwelcome in their communities. I think of it along the lines of "I bet it's really hard for George Zimmerman to get a job interview right now."

#10561 downndirty, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Forget the team names and syrup bottles, I’d like to know when Mississippi plans on changing its fucking flag:

[​IMG]

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's obviously come up over the years, but there seems to be a fairly strong push at the moment. Whether it actually breaks through remains to be seen.

The leading replacement proposal is this one, which isn't half bad:

[​IMG]

Confederacy aside, there are only like 9 states that shouldn't immediately jump at an opportunity to change their flag. Of those 9, only New Mexico and Texas are what I'd consider good, the others are merely "not atrocious."

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's one that actually does need to go.

Although, in a way it kind of fits. Mississippi is last in I think literally everything. It only makes sense that their state flag would be a symbol of shame and embarrassment.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#10566 downndirty, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Bye Bye Teddy Roosevelt....

tr.png

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Forgetting about flags and monuments for a second, I actually have the tiniest bit of sympathy for cops. Just a tiny bit, but hear me out. American culture has been super cop friendly for basically forever. They get discounts, or eat free all over the place. Endless tv shows and movies glorifying their profession for decades. Politicians on both sides of the aisle talking about how great they are. I think they legitimately thought "Fuck the police" was just a sentiment expressed by crazy rappers once in awhile. Then, not quite overnight, but relatively suddenly they're discovering that most people actually hate them. Or at the least think they fucking suck at their jobs. That's got to feel cold as fuck after you went through most of your life up to that point thinking everyone thought you were great. Well, the more you know...

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    While we're at it, fuck George Washington too.

Wash.jpg

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So how should Texas change its flag? What's wrong with it?

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you misread. I said there are 9 states that shouldn't change their flag, or at least aren't in a desperate need to change it, Texas being one of those 9.

11. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you read the articles you post or just the headlines? Because here are some quotes from the article that are illuminating.

Not exactly, Bye Bye Teddy Roosevelt is it.

But here's a better photo of the statue.

[​IMG]

I understand why people would want that removed. So here's my question: why do you think that is a good statue to have in front of this museum?

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

....because the protests aren't about statues?
    ....and removing this does what, exactly?

I mean, fine, I guess, but the fact that we are debating the removal of statues is kind of a distraction from the core issue that sparked the unrest: police violence against African Americans that seems to occur frequently, without accountability and results in entire swaths of our nation being robbed of justice.

It's as if, collectively, a bunch of people decided to take action against racism and instead of changing perceptions, challenging racist notions, or addressing the things that contribute to systemic racism, they attack statues and then go "yay! Racism defeated!" when statues come down. I think some of this is dangerously shallow: history is complex, and it's foolish to apply today's standards to judge history. It also fails to address the core issues affecting us today.

I think some places are removing these statues out of concern that they will be removed for them in a riot/protest, so it's kind of a preemptive measure.

It's a silly kind of virtue signaling, and I think it's a "feel good" measure that doesn't threaten anyone, where more difficult ways of addressing racism, specifically around injustice, are more difficult. Removing statues requires no personal sacrifice, the dead don't give a shit.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The original purpose of the protests has already been bastardized and corrupted by white liberals with unrelated agendas. Don’t expect anything meaningful.

And there’s nothing more angering-inducing than watching politicians from both sides that have been in their positions for years calling for change.

14. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People are obviously threatened by it's removal. ToyToy is at least.

Of course there are more difficult ways of addressing racism, and the removal of this statue does little in the grand scheme of things (I'm not sure if it's just empty virtue signaling though---how would you feel if you were a black or indigenous kid being taken to that museum and seeing that statue?), but it's not like the people upset about this statue being removed are going to suddenly acquiesce to other more difficult forms of change.

If we can't even do the easy "feel good" things, it doesn't seem like we have a society who is ever going to deal with things that are more difficult.

I don't believe anyone who says the equivalent of "I was going to do all the difficult things required to make this country more equal and just, but god damnit they just had to go and take down a statue of Teddy Roosevelt so now I'm going to support this society that I know is racist and unequal just to spite them!" was ever going to change anything in the first place.

#10575 Gravy, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I agree with you here; and the museum already said that they will keep celebrating Roosevelt's contributions to history, just not with that statue specifically, which is reasonable. But I have a hard time applying that logic to removing statues of Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant. There is a not-so-fine line between removing statues that infer, if not directly condone, oppression and applying present-day standards to all historical figures. I dont think it's there yet, but it can very quickly go down the road of destroying culture.

16. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, unfortunately, I think there is going to be some destruction that is just for the sake of destruction. I think we have already seen that with things like a Cervantes statue being vandalized. Hopefully, there's not a lot more of that type of thing, but I'm not going to be surprised if there is.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to try and quote it back, but I think all the previous comments were in closed WDT. Anyway, after NASCAR banned the Confederate flag, and then some dumbass put a noose in Bubba Wallace's garage, prior to running the postponed race at Talladega, this happened:
    https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/1275143091922624512?s=20

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope whomever is responsible for this is fucking jailed. Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1274893728361127937

Columbus, OH: police pepper spray a double amputee, then *disconnect and take his prosthetic legs* The man *crawled on his hands* to get medical help while a group of protestors rushed the cops to get his legs back

19. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded