Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

That’s what I meant, that the victims are random.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's kind of amazing that all the police had to do was stop beating people on camera for a week and white America would have been like "these protests are overreacting," but they just couldn't help themselves.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im not sure how that’s possible, Chicago has strong gun control policies.

4. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/magazine/baltimore-tragedy-crime.html

This is a really good article on what's happened in Baltimore since Freddie Gray died and they experienced riots and tried to institute police reform. It hasn't gone well there. As a counterpoint I'm linking to an article about police reform in Cincinnati (where I live) that has greatly improved the city in my opinion. Cincinnati had some pretty bad race riots in 2001/2002 similar to what we're seeing now. The PD has come a long way since then and I'm really proud of my city for being a leader in this area. There's always going to be more than can be done, so the city should be pushing reform, but it's good to see.progress being made.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/05/cincinnati-police-reform/393797/

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

They’ve totally changed. Did you see all those police leaders take a knee with all those citizens (and press cameras) right before assaulting them with steel barons and chemical weapons that are banned for use in war?

Not a single one of them will admit that they’re wrong. But they’ll show up in droves to cheer on this worthless coward and piece of shit:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...spector-charged-with-assaulting-protestor?amp

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's unfair how people acting like every cop is the same level of psycho as the cop that murdered Floyd, but that said, yeah, I'm 100x more sick of the cops playing the victim card, and acting as if they're despised because no one gets how hard their job is. Fuck you. You don't even do your jobs anyway. The black community has gotten the worst of it, but the cops have been acting like assholes towards every demographic for decades. They fucking suck, and now that everyone, or almost everyone, is turning against them they think they're victims. That delusional mentality pisses me off more than anything.

7. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Here’s a link to an article from a cop who says he’s had enough of being looked upon as the bad guy:

https://www.lawofficer.com/america-we-are-leaving/

I know it’s a hard job but I very clearly remember multiple friends “falling down the steps” while in police custody and my own experience with a bad cop.

When people have bad experiences with cops they remember and until the bad ones get weeded out, they will be looked on with distrust.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not going to sit back and act like ive been truly mistreated by the cops in my life. No excessive force or anything. But every single encounter I've had, the cop was a total dick for no reason. Just an asshole because they could be. I never understood the reason for it.

9. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My experience varied according to my station in life. When I was a young punk cops and I didn’t get along so well. When I was older and in a suit I got some consideration from them.

To a degree how I was treated was on me, I may have deserved a little disrespect returned to me but I didn’t deserve having a cop trying to put me in jail and ruin my life.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Think about the job description of a cop for a second and what kind of person would gravitate toward that:

- very low pay for very high risk
    - crazy hours
    - dealing with the absolute worst members of society
    - sitting in your car, or standing outside or otherwise walking around, for hours at a time, attempting to kill the boredom interspersed randomly with a few minutes of "action"
    - incredibly powerful union so job security out the wazoo
    - did I mention low pay and high risk?
    - but at least you get to carry a gun
    - and oh yeah, you ARE the law

The only people who would want to sign up for that are generally going to be assholes, the ones who see the power and job security as an equal exchange for the risk, low pay, and work conditions. Sure, there are some great people who are in it to protect the community, who see it as a calling and use their strong moral compass to do actual good -- I know quite a lot of them actually, probably a disproportionately large number. But given the circumstances of the job description and what all it entails, I feel like I can confidently say, in general terms, that if you want to be or are a cop, you're *probably* also not that nice of a person. You're much more likely than not to be a dickhead than a genuinely caring guy or gal.

So how do we change that to get more good cops instead of filtering for the assholes by the nature of the job? I think the easiest part would be to change the job description. Higher pay, less menial tasks, better training, less outright authority and do something about the damn police union so that cops who receive significant disciplinary measures can actually be terminated and not just rehired in a neighboring jurisdiction.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

What exactly is “low pay” and “high risk” to you? Their job is NOT that dangerous stacked up to at least a dozen common jobs that people go to every day. The average salary for a cop in my city is almost $90,000. And those “crazy hours” mean they’re getting paid over $100 an HOUR for overtime. Like that asshole who threw the girl down was making over )125,000 a year brutalizing people for the NYPD. Low intelligence, low-educated jerks making six figures a year. In a job that they wanted, they fantasized about having probably most of the life , they signed up for entirely knowing what it would be.

Fisherman risk their lives to feed people. Their job is eight times more dangerous than being a cop. They get hurt DAILY. It pays far less, it kills a lot more and they will NEVER get a medal pinned to their chest, retire at age 45 or have a funeral that stops traffic for five miles in every direction. However there is no fancy uniform for a fisherman to wear, they’re not a “public servant” so they’re roadkill like everybody else.

Let’s stop pretending that “The Job” isn’t everything a cop wants in life. That level of bestowed power is more addictive than any drug on earth.

13. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I imagine it varies greatly from city to city, county to county, and so on. But where I live and have lived, they did pretty well.

Chicago cops start low (high 40s) but it jumps pretty quickly. And you can make six figures within a handful of years. That's definitely enough for a pretty comfortable life in Chicago.

You can download/filter police salaries here - https://data.cityofchicago.org/widgets/xzkq-xp2w

South Bend (where I used to live) cops make about $49k in the academy and can make upwards $60k after a couple of years. That's pretty good money for northern Indiana

Website showing salary ranges is here - https://police.southbendin.gov/get-involved/start-career-sbpd

Maybe in some smaller towns, they get paid poorly. Not from what I've seen though. Is it commensurate with the risk? That I don't know.

Looking at this - https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/2019-officers-killed-trnd/index.html - 38 Chicago police officers were killed in the line of duty last year. Compare that to 24 people getting killed in a day in the more violent areas..........Eh, I'd say living in those areas is significantly more dangerous than being a CPD officer.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A&E cancels “Live PD.“
    And there’s calls to get rid of the “good police dog” character on “Paw Patrol.”

for those keeping track...

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Well, their crew did film the police murdering a man with tasers then destroyed the evidence sooooo.... fuck them.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never got into Live PD or Cops. World’s Wildest Police Chases? Hells yeah, back in college I watched the shit out of that.

As for Paw Patrol, it is said that the “friendly police dog” character perpetuates the “good cop archetype.” So, the question is - do good cops exist at all?

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

How can you SAY that? “Cops” is the funniest show ever NOT written. I’m not talking about the new version where they use these jacked-up robocops dressed constantly like Seal Team 6 is going to call them up from the bush leagues. I’m talking the golden years of 1988-1995. Where everyone subject is fat, disgusting and dim-witted. And that’s just the cops. The CRIMINALS provide even more entertainment than the 300 pound retards getting outrun by the film crew during a foot chase.

My favourite “Cops” regular is the “Abusive background husband.” The cops would do a domestic call, and then they’d be interviewing the non-blurred face of Susie TwoShiners right in front of the camera as she stutters her way through why her better half beat her with a windshield wiper because she overcooked the Mr. Noodles again. Meanwhile you see her shirtless, cuffed husband in the background screaming “Lying bitch!!! LYYYYYYYING BITCH!!!!”

Those were the days.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have to say I quite enjoyed Live PD... they really did a good job showing what happened, live, with next to no edits.

They showed you some great cops out there doing good work, and I thought did a pretty good job being transparent.

I'm disappointed to see them go, and hope they come back.

I can understand if they take a break until shit settles down... but killed permanently? That sucks.

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I beg your PARDON, Crown. You know better. Early Cops wasn’t the best show; To Serve And Protect was. Canadian cops riding around on bikes or gaining entry to a locked building by asking a guy carrying a 24 pack of beer to let them inside? Comedic gold.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's more the risk that the presence of cameras might cause cops to puff up a bit and try to act tougher or cooler than they would otherwise. No one wants to look like a bitch, but they especially don't want to look like a bitch on national television. It's possible that this could affect the decision making of a cop in a way that's not ideal for the calm and measured enforcement of the law.

That and they apparently destroyed video of a situation where a man died in police custody. Oops.