Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah no debating that. It's why Juice said this example is the exact opposite of JJs point. The underlying issue of when violence of this nature is justified is what we're talking about. Tell me again which side's tactics were ultimately successful? How well did murdering and bombing and open displays of violence work? Human dignity won out when public and political opinion turned against the open faced brutality. It's why I say, I get the frustration of rioters but they have to move beyond that at some point to a list of actionable demands like DCC and I have mentioned.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen plenty:
    1. Civilian review boards
    2. Ban on transfer of military equipment to domestic law enforcement agencies
    3. Elimination of qualified immunity
    4. Renegotiation of union contracts
    5. More restrictive use of force policies
    6. Funding for social and economic programs that reduce crime and therefore disproportionate police response
    7. More federal intervention in the vein of consent decrees
    Just since the protest/riots started bills have been introduced in Congress on qualified immunity (Amash) and militarization (Schatz).

#10102 Aetius, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And let's say all of those measures pass. Look at the compilation video Crown posted.

You think those guys are going to abide by any of that?

We can get even get them to abide by the measures already in place (ie body cams)

4. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sadly, when body cams began to be implemented in higher numbers, my first thought was "we're gonna start seeing some new and interesting shooting stances."

5. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I feel like, at least in the case of LA, saying you understand how the protesters are feeling to justify the looting is a bit of a straw man argument. A large percentage of the looting here doesn’t seem to be angry protesters acting in mass, but people who are literally driving up to stores alone or in caravans with their license plates covered, busting in, loading up, and driving off. They know that the police force is otherwise occupied and are exploiting the situation. It’s also not sticking it to the man when you break into 80 businesses that are primarily family and/or minority owned on a single stretch of street. Certain stores with signs up saying minority owned / RIP signs were left untouched- unless they had valuables like watches, in which case fair game again I guess.

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or they coincidently find themselves turned off during the exact time of the incidents.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

like the footage from when Epstein didn't kill himself

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Remember in the distant past of last week how people were howling about how we're going to be hit by a second wave from people going to the beach?

Now no one cares about social distancing at all.

Humans are fickle creatures.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

And most importantly:

8) All lawsuits directed at police will come ENTIRELY from their collective pension.

Stop sucking us dry because you suck at your job. And get rid of arbitration. Once you are fired, fuck off you are fired just like any normal person.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

gasoline, meet fire:

the "George Floyd challenge" is a thing on social media. In order to participate, one soon to be unemployable scumbag has to lay on the ground, while an equally unemployable piece of shit knees on his neck and shows that it doesn't kill him. The prize for participation is that the Internet is forever and each one of these dogshits is gonna have that picture come up, with context, when every single job they apply to for eternity googles their name.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did the Secretary of Defense just kind of throw his boss under bus or is it just me? He said he had no idea they were going to St Johns Church for a photo op.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just found out a good friend and coworker of mine, one of her relatives was at a protest and some asshole was throwing shit at police. They tried to get the asshole with a rubber bullet but got the relative instead. Fractured his skull and put him in intensive care.

They aren’t blaming the cops. They’re blaming the shitheads who provoked the violent response.

14. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe once things have calmed down point out that blaming the shitheads is like blaming the NRA for school shootings.

There is responsibility to go around. But the person pulling the trigger still pulled the trigger.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

no I agree with her. You can peacefully protest. It’s a Constitutional right and you can have a reasonable expectation of safety. But if you put yourself in a position where things can or likely will get ugly, then that expectation of safety goes out the window. The relative knew what he was getting into. In this case, some dude got violent, and was greeted with an appropriate response. Unfortunately the guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don’t get violent and you won’t be met with violence.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I guess its more humane than letting them get swallowed up and beaten to death by a country run entirely by oppressive, psychopathic goons.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know what problems you've had in your life. I don't know what encounters you've had with alleged white people determined to fuck you over at every turn, but I do know no one on this board has started screaming at you that your point of view is invalid because you're Asian. Stop lumping everyone in with 'other white people' that clearly aren't around to be told to stop being racist.

The protests have already had some success. Gradual would be an understatement, but ten years ago it would have been doubtful that Chauvin would even get charged. Instead of a civilian review board appointed by mayors, it might be better to have a federal oversight department established entirely separate from the police and local jurisdictions. The review boards are often only as good as the local authority making the appointments, or their capacity to investigate and prosecute is so restrictive they end up being little more than symbolic entities.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My sister in law’s friend got punched in the face by a rioter in downtown Miami. She went out shopping and there weren’t mass protests happening near just some random scumbags taking it out on a defenseless woman. I’m sure she’ll be rethinking her actions and be down with the cause now.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

More power needs to be given to civil review boards and less to the police. By that, I mean they (the taxpayers) should be running the entire police department. The chief should have to answer to them, and they should have the authority to fire any member of their department without the dilemma of filthy arbitrators getting in the way.

Public servants work for citizens, so citizens should be able to get rid of them when they please. Society has tried the “Let cops be cops” thing and it has failed again and again and again. These riots are a direct result of the impunity they have, the police cannot be trusted and its obviously time to do what should have been done thirty years ago and reign them in. They’ve had enough fun.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Start taking lawsuit money directly out of pension funds. You want the cops to start giving a shit, hit them where they care.