Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does that work both ways? When the police attack a protestor is it ok for the protestors to attack the police?

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It certainly fucking should be. Some people see it that way, watch this asshole cop get knocked the fuck out:

...next time don’t break people’s property, stupid.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The Louisville police are fucking pathetic. They killed a restaurant owner yesterday all without using their body cams. The police chief has now been fired before he can retire, good fucking riddance.

What a collection of incompetent clowns, “protecting” a city.

4. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looters deserve to be arrested and to face legal consequences. A beat down is the abuse of power we are all trying to address.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Officer shot in the head in Vegas last night. Four officers shot in St Louis. That'll diffuse things.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You're right. Im reacting emotionally because a place my friend works at was damaged 2 nights ago, so its hitting a bit close to home. And this was after he had to shut down all of quarantine.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

The good thing though is that it looks like everyone is finally acknowledging that change needs to take place, and they want it, and some good is gonna finally come of this.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lol ok
    CFE3BC3F-8D85-49AB-9F5D-3301CFA48F62.jpeg

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

well, everyone except for that. There were a bunch of protests in dallas, arrests of rioters, and even those (very, very conservative) newspeople were commenting how trump's idea of military force would make things incalculably worse

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Prediction:
    Someone high-level is going to use a racial epithet pretty soon and cause an even further uproar. If Trump's next few tweets call the protesters "monkeys, gorillas, tar babies" etc. someone owes me $100.

It's almost as if, all at once, a nation of people is going "Wait, yeah I am terrified of police...fuck that!" and responding accordingly.

Also, if this was happening in another country, this would be an ideal recipe for regime change and long-term unrest:
    -historic inequality
    -upended economy
    -sudden shock the current party deals with poorly and/or with a heavy hand
    -high unemployment (no job means nothing better to do than loot/riot)
    -shitty response (tweets, not governance)
    -dividing lines that have shifted beneath the ruling party's feet (ie, shifting opinion or changed majority).
    -implications for a regime change.

All in all, we are 5 months til November, and I cannot think of a single piece of political science doctrine that may still apply by the time we get there. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see rioting crowds of screaming lunatics shouting "HAM!" and "NO, FUCK YOU, TURKEY!" at each other by the election.

One of the ideas put forth that I liked is a "civilian review board" or a community review organization responsible for the "prosecute/do not prosecute" decision in terms of police violence. That decision is very often the hardest one to make, and by mandating that the officer responsible for a death/damage to an unarmed civilian go before the board, it can instill some thoughts about consequences.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We need to:
    Rework how qualified immunity works.
    Repeal the act that allows military equipment to local police.
    Eliminate no knock raids. A fucking kilo of coke does not warrant that bullshit.
    WoD needs to end.

Also calling it now if there is a second wave that bump up covid in the next few weeks Trump will blame it on the protesters. For some reason though I don’t think we’ll see cellphone tracking data for the protesters mapped out like those spring breakers. Just a guess.

#10071 Kubla Kahn, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.gq.com/story/cops-cost-billions

"In New York, which has the largest budget for any police department in the country, Mayor Bill de Blasio has called to reduce the NYPD's budget by $23.8 million—a step in the right direction, but only 0.4 percent of the department's $5 billion budget. As Brooklyn College sociology professor Alex Vitale writes in the New York Post, "New York City spends more on policing than it does on the Departments of Health, Homeless Services, Housing Preservation and Development, and Youth and Community Development combined."

You have to imagine anything with that kind of budget...they use as also a way to generate revenue. Just saying, the most expensive line item on their budget has faced chops before, and it has persisted through peak crime until now. Just saying, follow the money...this will happen when the department's budgets have to include an ever-larger payout of lawsuit settlements. That's one number I'd like to see for places like LA and NYC. I remember LA planned on using some of the tobacco settlement money to pay off victims of the Rampart division lawsuit...I wonder what that's like now.

"Between 1990 and 2017, the Defense Department provided $5.4 billion in military equipment to police departments across the country, including night-vision googles, bomb-diffusing robots, and 18-ton "mine-resistant, ambush-protected" vehicles previously deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq." Over 27 years, that's really paltry, especially considering DOD's budget.

I don't think the de-militarization will happen. Too many customers, too big of an industry and too many bridges between military and LEO.

13. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't believe I have to say this, but here we are. I am in no way, shape or form condoning looters attacking small businesses. However, I'm not going to shed a goddamn tear for places like Target. These huge businesses have done more to destroy small businesses than a few days of looters have done to them.

In more adventures in police brutality, here's a couple of dudes standing on a street, getting shot with rubber bullets for no apparent reason.

https://twitter.com/liveinochi/status/1267504585926557696

This is what I have fucking problems with.

14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is getting exhausting.

https://twitter.com/uspresstracker/status/1267780353332314114

A reporter who clearly identified herself as a member of the press was pepper sprayed by cops anyway. It's as if being told that the press was enemy of the people for two years had an effect on people. Fuck the first amendment, right?

If there were actual bad apples that killed as many people as cops have unjustifiably murdered black people, there would be fucking recall.

15. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

yeah but they also make groceries and consumer items widely accessible at lower prices, and treat their employees well. Sure, their buying power is such that it creates prices so low other businesses can't compete. But you know who benefits from that? Those who don't have a lot to spend.

It's not a black and white thing. There is good in the bad. However, violence and destruction of property is not the answer. You might not like that property, but others do.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You can’t believe you have to say it, yet you still passively approve of some of it based on some vague justification of economic retribution.

19. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I literally guffawed when I read this. Seriously? If you think forcing people to make the choice between working for poverty wages without health insurance during a pandemic is "treating their employees well", I'd hate to know what you think employers treating their employees terribly is.

No, it benefits more well off people that have money to spend, so they don't have to spend it. A poor person has to spend every fucking nickel they have so they don't starve or become homeless. What kind of an effect does that have on income inequality? What happens to a society where more and more money goes to the top and leaves less and less to the people that need it? Wouldn't it be great if your community had locally owned small businesses providing jobs to that community? Wouldn't that allow for more people to make a little more money over the long run instead of one person making all the money in the short term, then buying out the competition down the road, and buying politicians to enact laws to benefit themselves and nobody else?

Absofuckinglutely I approve. All these huge corporations do is fuck normal people in the ass on a regular basis.

For example, AT&T received $3 billion from the government to roll out broadband to rural parts of the country. They haven't done it. In fact, they've done everything they can to fight upgrades to their shitty infrastructure, like lobbying against mandated floors on internet speeds. Meanwhile, their CEO made roughly $30 million this year while cutting almost 40,000 high paying jobs. Some of these people getting fired are being forced to train their replacements who live in other countries. Others aren't getting a severance or early retirement after working there for years. He's getting a pension worth $64 million dollars. This doesn't include any company stock that he may already have. He's going to make at a bare minimum of almost $275,000 a month for the rest of his life. He gets all that despite AT&T stock being currently valued less than when he took the job.

All of these multinational companies do shit like this every single fucking day. I am not going to give a single rusty fuck about those companies and their overpaid executives who care more about the buildings they operate out of than the people who work in them. They trot out the same tired social media form letter post whenever a preventable tragedy happens, while at the same time donating to Trump's reelection campaign. Fuck every single one of them.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

This is an absolutely asinine perspective to justify violence. But the fact that you didn’t pause and delete it while writing it out is just as alarming as what it says. When issues like police violence on minorities is co-opted by bullshit like this, it’s no wonder the general public doesn’t take it seriously enough.