Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree there'd be partial justification. That's another reason I wish they'd stay off the racial component. There is always some kind profiling in the racially motivated or racially accused arrests and shootings. If that isn't the case here, it's not a white cop shooting a black woman, it's just a cop shooting a woman. And, that should alarm everyone. imo

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Agreed. The red flag here is police rushing to hire trigger-happy retards, and the unions who so blatantly defend them.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read they had interviewed the 8 yo kid and he said he saw his aunt point her gun at the window. Doesn’t make the police shooting her not illegal but it’s another case were all the nuance will be ignored wholesale because it inflames passion on both sides.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If that's true, this whole story makes even less sense. Something is not right.

5. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If it's 2 AM and I lived in a place where I needed a gun and I saw some dark shape outside my window, seems like common sense to have my gun out. In any case, I don't understand how there could be any nuance to this. A cop shot a citizen who was minding her own business in her own apartment. Even if this person was pointing a gun at the cop, the cop should have identified himself and why he was there. He didn't, and now this kid gets to live with seeing his family member murdered in front of him for no reason.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

She had every right and reason to pull a gun. Only one side has the right to have their passion enflamed here. And I’m sure the NRA will intentionally keep their mouth shut just like they did with Philando Castille.

7. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I live out in the country, right up next to a paved county road. There's about a 20 minute wait time for the Sheriff. There have been a few times where I've had something suspicious happen at my place, like an unfamiliar car pulling in my driveway or a car just sitting up on the road with its headlights pointed at the house. Pretty God damn creepy at 1AM, right? I keep a gun in my bedroom for this very reason, and when it does happen, I'm watching through the windows while armed. The difference here is that I keep the lights off and stand back from the window and in the shadows so I'm not spotted. I also keep my gun at the low ready so I don't accidentally shoot someone, or alarm someone to the point of shooting me. I'm not siding with the cop here, but as a civilian, situational awareness can save your life.

8. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry, but this smells like bullshit. It isn't on you or anybody else to not be shot by a cop for no reason. If anybody should have any situational awareness, it's the cop. Especially since cops are trained with firearms and when to use them. If someone doesn't have the same situational awareness that you do, that shouldn't increase their risk of being killed by a cop.

When you sign up to be a cop, you sign up knowing you could die in the line of duty. If you accept that risk, then you should be able to do a fucking wellness check without shooting a woman in front of a child.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The chief was acting all emotional saying this has “eroded our efforts to win back public trust”.

Maybe you should have focused on how you lost it in the first fucking place.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There's what should be, and then there's what is that will keep you alive.

Cars aren't supposed to hit pedestrians, and yet I ensure that I look both ways before crossing the street. "But the light was red". "Yep, and that car just ran that red light."

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im not defending the cop. Im saying peoples reactions to stories like this are always jaded with strong emotions. That usually leads to wild assumptions and lines of thought that pay no heed to the nuances of the situation and and nuances in the law. Then people get apoplectic when the verdict comes back not guilty because they didn't take a step back and think through it logically with a cool head. See the Zimmerman trial and Casey Anthony.

I am curious as what argument the prosecution will make. Im not sure of the law in regards to the bolded line, if he was legally required to announce himself? Are police typically trained to investigate the full perimeter of the house on an open door call like that? I think it's totally on him. She was legally in the right all the way. Im wondering what his specific failing was legally. If he was handling the situation by the book/his training. Lots of nuances between murder and manslaughter. Prosecutor rushes to charge him with the stiffest charge because of the political and social pressure, it's how you end up seeing someone like Zimmerman walk.

12. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get your point, but the difference is that most people don't immediately give the driver the benefit of the doubt for turning pedestrians, especially black pedestrians, into roadkill.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm confused... the only people who turn a blind eye appear to be (to me, anyway), fellow cops... so I think I may be missing your point.

14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The part where you said "to me, anyway" is the issue. Let me put it this way. When an unarmed black person gets shot by police, there isn't a black person out there who will defend the cop's actions, let alone with the vigor of a white person. Hell, you can find posts on this board defending cops shooting unarmed black people. Usually with questions like, "what about black on black crime?" and "Whites get shot and killed by cops too! How can they be racist?"

I just want you to know that this is not a personal attack, just an observation as a minority. Your post is an example of the blind eye that American white people in general have had towards generally white cops killing black people. This is a hard pill for a lot of white people to swallow, especially because white people have much different interactions with cops that minorities do. That's why Dave Chappelle can write an entire bit about his stoner friend getting pulled over by a cop and not getting arrested. Of course, I'm sure someone will tell me how this, that or the other somehow makes all those shootings different than this one. Nope. A black person got killed by a cop for being black.

Let me put it another way. If all of these mass shooters happened to be black instead of white, there would be a lot less of them being captured alive.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Now I'm really confused...

I said that it seems to me that people of all colour, except blue, are outraged at the shit that is going on. And you're saying that that post is, and I quote, "an example of the blind eye"? I see nobody dismissing it as status quo, or deserved, or at all OK... I see huge demand for change and accountability.

How is that me turning a blind eye?

16. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My post wasn't about you, personally. It was about white people in general not giving a shit about unarmed black people being shot. It took body camera evidence of a cop shooting into an apartment 1 second after saying "hands up" to generate outrage from everybody, including white people. What I'm saying is that that's easy to be outraged about. There was little to no white outrage when other unarmed black people were shot. Let's not forget that the only reason cops are wearing body cameras in the first place is because they've been killing black people without consequence.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

In this particular case, let’s face it: if it wasn’t for body cameras we would have never heard about this shooting. A woman pointed a gun at a cop and would become a statistic.

18. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just so we can see where the shooting happened, the first pic shows a street view of the house. The officer was behind the circled fence when he shot the victim.
    The second pic is an aerial view with an arrow pointing to the window through which he shot. Why was the officer back there instead of knocking on the front door and announcing himself?

FtWorth1.jpg
    FtWorth2.jpg

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's why I'm unsympathetic toward him even if she pulled a gun. What the fuck are you doing creeping about like you're doing surveillance? A welfare check not hot enough action for you? Just knock on the door, dumbass.

I normally try to reserve judgement on these things until most of the facts are out, but he did so many off the chart stupid things in so little time.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am in no way to defending the cop but I was listening to an officer breaking down the event and he was saying that on a traditional "Hey, I haven't heard from my parents in a while, can someone check on them?" welfare check, they knock on the door. If they get called out for a welfare check where the front door is open, it could be a break in or home invasion so they scout out the location first.