Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And now it turns out that at least one person died because of the power being shut off without warning:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oxygen-dependent-man-dies-12-minutes-after-pge-cuts-power-to-his-home

I'm not going to totally blame PG&E here, because electrical stuff happens normally, and so the dude should have had some sort of backup or something, but yeah, to make the conscious decision to just kill the power without warning, you kind of have to take responsibility for the repercussions.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12 minutes? If we're looking to point fingers at anyone, it's the home oxygen company. I can't believe they didn't have portable tanks for him to hook into in the event his concentrator stopped functioning!

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Article says he couldn't reach his battery-powered tank in time.

If you were to assign fault here, then the dude should have had a battery-powered backup accessible in case the power went out. Lightning can knock out the power just as easily as PG&E can, but if that happened you wouldn't say he died from a lightning strike.

However, it sounds like it was just an unlucky accident. For all we know this could have been the one time he had his backup out of reach and he just got fucked.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They usually warn medical customers of intentional outages in advance. They didn’t do so this time.

Again, I feel bad for the guy, for sure, but he should have done more himself. But that still doesn’t absolve them from doing shit intentionally that then has repercussions like that.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn't they? I was aware of impending outages days ago, and I don't even live in the area.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hmmm. I thought I read that they didn’t this time.

I could definitely be wrong.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe it was communicated poorly, or they didn't clearly communicate when it went from a "possible" outage to a "definite" outage.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    From what I'd read, they sent out e-mails to their customers that most of the time ended up in the spam filters. Beyond that it was also all over the news. Hell, even I knew all about it and the areas that were affected before it happened.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well there you go.

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless I'm missing something, he shouldn't have even needed something battery operated. Just a tank with a regulator. You plug one end of the oxygen tubing to the regulator, the other in your nose, face, whatever.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/F...That-Killed-Atatiana-Jefferson-563075211.html

At least he was just charged with murder... but yeah...

What. The. Fuck?

In what kind of world are we living in, where a cop does that, and then the Chief of Police reviews the tape and says, 'woah... there's no way that is even remotely legal, so we're going to fire your ass", but the cop resigns before he can be fired, AND HE'S NOT FUCKING LOCKED UP AND IN JAIL IMMEDIATELY?

I just don't get it.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the one time I actually won't blame the training or the system. If someone is so stupid they are going to shoot at the first movement they see at a goddamn wellness call, I mean, there is just no training someone like that. What a fucking idiot. I hope that when they finally do put him away it's for a long time.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If it wasn’t for all the bullshit happening in the last five years, believe me— these cops would have been working around the clock to vilify the victim and get the cop off.

I mean, they already tried by posting a photo of a gun in the woman’s house. They’re fucking pathetic down there.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, they finally stopped trying to make excuses, but only if it's a really, really cut and dry case, which this one definitely is.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There will be no pathetic “She was acting erratically” or “Her hand moved towards her waistband” this time.

The miracle in this situation will be keeping this cocksucker in jail for longer than ten years. The badge has magical powers.

17. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

This asshole killed an unarmed black woman without any type of provocation inside her own home. He'll be lucky to live more than a couple years in prison.

18. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hard to shank somebody in AdSeg, hard but not impossible. No way he gets dumped in the general population.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know that it was a white male cop shooting a black female. But I hope the news doesn't keep driving home just the race factor. It should be more concerning that a citizen was shot in their home THROUGH THE FUCKING BEDROOM WINDOW by a police officer sworn to protect and uphold the law.

They released some of the body cam footage and part of the call from the neighbor. So, if it was something like this:
    - neighbor says it's unusual for the doors to be open and he hasn't seen anyone moving around
    - police respond after being told it's an "open structure" call, thinking that breaking and entering is possible
    - police are walking around in the dark in the backyard; victim hears something and gets her gun for protection
    - officer approaches the window, sees a woman with a gun and may or may not see a child in the room
    - he says "put your hands up" but she can't hear him or see in the dark outside (unlike him who can see into the lit house)
    - she turns, still holding the gun, and he shoots her dead

IF that's what happened, it's a terrible, terrible accident. If he saw the child and thought the child was in danger, he had to react quickly. But that cannot POSSIBLY be what happened. If it did, they would have release the whole body cam footage, and they'd have been making some statement about the sequence of events similar to what I described. But, they didn't and haven't. I can't tell jack shit from that video, can y'all? All it shows to me, is it looks like that cop straight up killed that woman.

It's totally fucked up, including the racial component. Because, good luck restoring any kind of trust and goodwill.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don't think she was holding it... even the Chief said that they regretted pushing out the pic of her gun in the room, as it wasn't called for or pertinent.

Everyone who's seen the body cam, including the Chief, said that there's no justification... if she was holding a gun then there'd be partial justification, IMO.