Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

The silver lining is that, with the video, the authorities MIGHT be able to take that and use it to improve their training and strategies for these things going forward.

2. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm expecting a bunch of retaliatory bullshit here in Aus in the near future.

This horrific event has broken my heart because NZ was the one place I thought wouldn't see this kind of act. The gun laws have always been fairly solid and Kiwi's as a whole are mostly responsible, relaxed and laid back. This has irrevocably changed NZ, I just hope we don't lose the idealism and compassion that we hold dear as a country because of the foul acts of a few.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The fucker was evil in its purest form, and I wouldn't think for a second that any law of man or religion could have prevented what he did.

I watched the video and was particularly struck by two things: 1) fairly quickly, the asshole was charged by someone. The hero was murdered in the process, but he made a damn good attempt to stop the shooting. I'm glad there was video in that regard, because otherwise we might not have known about that man's actions. I hope everyone learns his name. 2) Where the fuck were the exits? The shooter went into basically a big room after shooting his way down a hallway, and in that room everyone was cowered in corners. There wasn't any quick way for them to escape. Let's even say this was a fire and not a shooting -- seriously, what the fuck?!?

Hopefully the police don't get blamed for their response, time. It was over and done with way too fast.

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

His name is Brenton Tarrant and had moved from Aus to NZ two years ago after spending a few years travelling Europe and Asia.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I know. I prefer not to mention them by name. I wish the media wouldn't either. Maybe if instead of saying "so and so shot up a mosque" they referred to them as "bitchtits McCocksucker" "Inmate No.6913" or "Future Shanking Victim" there would be a lot less copycat crimes.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised to see our local media (who spent 10-15 minutes on the story) didn't mention his name once.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Canadian media has done that a few times. it is nice to see.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

A lot of US media is also starting to blur his face in articles and on TV. I was caught so off guard that initially I thought it was because he had gotten shot in the head or something gory. Never occurred to me they'd actually do the right thing and not show it because, you know, morals.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's insane.

Oh, don't worry, they can be little assholes but the kids here are safe from me going off the deep end. The trick is to make sure they never ruin your day. You can ruin THEIRS, but never the opposite.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Personally, I think he belongs in prison. Wikileaks has released documents that the public has a right to know, but my problem is they seem to have no standards whatsoever, and just recklessly put out anything they can get their hands on. Eg: The iraq war files. There was nothing in there the public needed to be aware of and it was pretty clear they didn't even read through what they hurled out. They also did a 'US embassy shopping list' recently that contained info on a lot of spy gear that isn't in public interest at all, but likely is for the countries western nations need to spy on.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I agree... I think he's an asshole who tried to use info for political ends. He's not some altruistic neutral party in any of the stuff Wikileaks does.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Never heard of those people, but the article mentions that they faked evacuating their home during the CA wildfires. That alone is absolutely horrible.

16. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I don’t know what more stupid: the Flyers removing their Kate Smith statue over simple ALLEGATIONS of racism, or the fact that this shithole, racist jerkwater berg is pretending to care about such a thing.

You’re Philadelphia. Nothing you ever do, say or think is respected or believed.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also Philly relavent:

19. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Either way, it doesnt really matter. Iran is constantly ducking under a bar that it cant afford to bump its head on. If it tries to close the Strait of Hormuz or starts directly killing Saudis, the US will immediately activate one of the carrier battle groups in the area to keep it open. Iran is capital poor; one US cruise missile salvo at Kharg Island will cripple Iranian oil exports for years and Iran will immediately lose half its GDP over night. It would be national suicide for them to continue escalating.

The US doesnt really need the oil out of Saudi Arabia anymore, but China and Europe sure as hell do.