Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Though I have the benefit of the castle doctrine, being in texas, I'm only using deadly force if I have immediate, rational fear for my life. Just because there's an intruder or someone trying to steal something, doesn't mean you *should* use deadly force. You can, certainly, in some cases. But should you? I'd rather not push my luck. Each bullet that comes out of that gun also comes with a very expensive lawyer.

I'm only shooting my gun if doing so will save my life or that of a family member. And you're right -- guns aren't magic wants. Neither are bullets, actually. Provided you actually hit the fucker (adrenaline does fun things to your accuracy), it can take a surprising amount of rounds to bring down a person intent on doing you harm. Especially if that person is on drugs. That's why you see police dumping their entire 17 round magazine into shitheads. You keep poking holes in the threat until they have complied with your commands or they are no longer physically capable of being a threat.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I carry, but for the life of me, I can't fathom killing another human over a stolen tv, candy bar, etc. Take the fucking thing, I can buy another one whether or not you end up in prison. I don't think I could live with killing over material possessions.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The only kind of person who kills a human being over “stuff” is a person who either has long fantasized about taking a life, or is a complete coward who wants the appearance of walking tall. Some vigilante wannabe who thinks they have authority to kill over the slightest provocation belongs locked in the deepest, darkest of dungeons. It’s one thing when you have somebody,— a criminal— inside your own home where you and your family live. Put him down until he stays down. But a thief running away, fleeing in fear? Just call the police. Do the right thing, it’s just stuff.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's shades of grey.

Running away with a TV under their arm? Fuck no.

Running away from your house with $20k cash that is your life savings, that could mean the difference between you being on the streets or in your home? That's a bit different.

Someone's in your house rummaging around through your shit looking for something to steal? Yeah, that's a bit different. Sure, he's there just to steal shit, but you don't know that.

Someone tries to carjack you to steal your car? Yeah, again, a bit different.

Anyone that says they know for sure what they'd do in any complex, contextual situation like that is full of shit. There are a million different scenarios that may have the same key elements but could be different enough that you'd react differently in each... justifiably.

Even people who swear they'd never hurt a fly never mind another human being could be put in situations where they would do exactly that.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Exactly what Nett just said.

I'd like to add though, that you never know how you're going to respond until you're in that situation. Adrenaline is a bitch, and it turns smart people into idiots. I've seen some of the best trained, most intelligent people completely freeze up in shock the moment someone has a seizure or start choking. I've come up on car wrecks where people are so full of emotion and high on the adrenaline dump they're just wandering around the street in traffic. My sister's ex-husband is a well-regarded general surgeon, and when his daughter was younger she overheated while outside and went into a seizure. He started running screaming for someone to call 911 than likely anyone who could have been called.

6. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree for the most part, about how one woukd react. But if someone is going out the door, stolen tv under their arm or a hatchet, killing them isn't remotely justifiable.

Shit, here in NY, this store owner would be almost guaranteed prison time.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

To show how diverse and not-racist they are, CNN has fired Megyn Kelly and replaced her with a bag of Skittles.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, that was quick. It seems like Kelly was just working at NBC last week.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It looks like Gary Ridgway is no longer America’s most prolific serial killer.

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ehhhh, I think he's just pulling a Webay, copping to every murder he can because what's the difference anyway? Claim the record, enjoy some prison glory.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

13. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

...From 2006. And I actually remember this article because it pops up every few years. The predictions here have been widely disputed by the scientific community, including other marine biologists and climatologists. Were fucked, but not that fucked.

15. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Good catch, I didn’t see the date there.

Still though...it’s not like we’ve gotten all that better environmentally since then. Although I’ll look up any counterpoints that other scientists have presented.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

These are the people who get paid to walk around with guns:

17. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Jesus, that guy sounds just like Officer Barbrady from South Park. The cops and Sheriff's deputies around here have the same right-off-the-bat bravado where they assume you're in the wrong before they even speak to you. They'll continue to yell at you and threaten you even after they realize they fucked up, then they use some shitty cop out (see what I did there?) so they can bail without admitting they were wrong. I've seen it happen at least a dozen times.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That cop didn’t like being told that he didn’t understand what was going on. That guy could not have been more respectful. This whole thing where a cop cannot back down from any sort of disagreement out of fear of being seen as stupid or weak is a real problem.

I’m more shocked that he didn’t just gun the guy down for going through his bags.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t know I take points away for the detachable MoMo steering wheel.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dude had a full 4 or 5 point harness and racing wheel... definitely looked like a track car, which is probably what helped to draw attention in the first place.

When I brought my car up from San Diego, I did the same kind of thing he was talking about with the insurance rider, etc. That's also why I asked the previous owner if I could keep his plates on it, because even if they were officially no longer valid, they still looked valid, so wouldn't get me pulled over by local cops. The thing is, the car still needs to be legal for the road.

In Canada he would not be allowed to drive that car on public roads with that detachable steering wheel and racing harness.