Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm gonna go ahead and say this Sarah Sanders eatery eviction was a big mistake. "The fascist intolerant left" is already a popular meme with the Donald crowd, this just made them right. Same with Pam Bondi being chased out of a fucking Mister Rogers movie (forgetting what he taught you about getting along, no?) and now Maxine Waters pretty much inciting militant libs to pull the same on every Trump official they find. Bad move, bad look. I can think of no better way to convince independents to stay home in November. Because why on Earth would they want to support *that*?

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I take the opposite view. After 25+ years it's nice to see the liberals wake up and realize they're in a fight. Maybe now they'll stop giving ground at every opportunity.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Maxine Waters is on it,

And by "On it" I mean saying the exact opposite of your sentiment. I guess we'll see if being mean, nasty and spiteful to anyone who doesn't support your world view 100% is a good political tactic.

EDIT: Oops I didn't notice you'd already mentioned Waters ranting.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Funny as that is the exact same logic the right has used that helped the Donald get elected in the first place. It is crazy if you step back and look at the logic and reasoning behind many issues they match up almost exactly on opposite ends of the political spectrum. During and after both of Obamas election the main argument among a lot of the base is that we nominated too much of a centrist, Republican ahd forgotten Reagan's success being much more ideologically pure. It's how Ted Cruz could still come up with a decent second showing to the Donald.* The party was increasingly being run by centrist that didn't stand up for core values over compromise. The exact internal fight over ideology came to a head with Bernie on the left. The base wants someone more ideologically pure than Clinton, even Obama, and they fight with the centrist over pragmatic ground level election strategy (saw Barney Frank on Bill Mahar arguing pragmatism over ideological Bernieism for the midterms and 2020).

*(most of the base went with your logic with Trump and just wanted someone that won instead of constantly giving on x,y,z issue, screw decorum and the insane PC culture of the left wRepublicans should have ever caved to in the first place,etc etc)

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not even talking ideological purity here; I myself am more toward the center and am far more comfortable with a Clinton/Obama policy profile than I am a Sanders profile. I just mean someone who understands the fight they're up against.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't worry the right also thinks they are the only ones that really play by the rules while the opposing side has supposedly been stomping them for decades because they don't play by the rules. The Donald was the ultimate, we don't want someone who plays nice

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm more than comfortable asserting that I am right and they are wrong. I don't much care to navel gaze down an epistemological rabbit hole in which all claims are equally valid and nothing can ever be known or treated as true.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All fun and games until the inevitable "No Liberals Welcome" sign goes up and they mean it. Joke signs already exist, and as intended the Twitter lefties are incensed. Why did we ever raise our children to not suffer jokes at their expense...

Attached Files:

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What a pleasant society we're crafting for ourselves.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s weird and I’m not sure if it applies to both sides of the spectrum but something I’ve noticed among all the Trump supporters in my family isn’t that they have terribly strong political convictions or principled beliefs. They have what I would consider to be an unhealthy dislike of liberals. Asking my fiancé’s father if he’s interested in taking a long weekend with us to spend time in the Hill country and get a cabin near Austin(which is awesome btw, because we float the river) is met with groans and disdain because “the place is filled with goddamn liberals”.

His normal political beliefs aren’t overtly conservative and they don’t align with things Trump says or does. It’s just about hating liberals and trying to make them angry. It’s weird.

I’m sure there’s plenty of lefties that also only exist to do the same to cons but I guess I just don’t see it as often.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[QUOTE="xrayvision, post: 608400, member: 1440”]

I’m sure there’s plenty of lefties that also only exist to do the same to cons but I guess I just don’t see it as often.[/QUOTE]

You must not live on the coasts.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It really is both sides, but even that doesnt really matter. Its become an ouroboros of disdain. When one side pushes the sider pushes back a little bit harder, ad infinitum. They both think that the other is out to uproot and destroy their values. That thinking has to lead to elements of both sides actually wanting to do that. That gives each side enough proof to keep pushing back. Its a really tragic way to think about another group of people, especially when you couldnt pick them out of a crowd unless they are overtly telling you.

13. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maxine Waters is exhibiting foolish behavior or spoiling for a fight where everyone loses.

I get the whole kicking someone out of your restaurant thing. I supported the cake maker having the right to refuse service for any reason they see fit.....it definitely applies here as well. Is it smart business in either case? Probably not.

As far as singling people out and harassing them based political beliefs? That is a dangerous game to be a part of that mob; that could cost you a job or make you a target in kind. In addition, what is the next step in this political devolution of America? Checkpoints? Forced migration?

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I once had a bouncer jokingly-but-not-really threaten not to let me into a bar because I had an MA license and we were all "fucking liberals" up there. This was in Los Angeles in 2008.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The people who generally “hate” liberals the most are the ones with minimal education who feel threatened and condescendingly judged by us “elites”. I just think it’s funny what the word elite has come to mean these days. I guess earning a little more than 50k/year and having a bachelors degree is elite status. I’m assuming it’s a euphemism for coastal folks.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Last I checked Nebraska was short on Ivy League schools.

17. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

One side of this argument has either already supported and passed or has expressed interest in supporting and passing legislation that would enable business owners to refuse service to people who are gay, EMTs and healthcare workers to refuse healthcare - including emergency services - to people because they're trans or gay, pharmacists to refuse to give women birth control, emergency contraception, or abortion medication, healthcare workers to refuse to provide abortions, landlords to refuse housing to gay people (under a president who's refused housing to black people), employers to refuse to hire or continue to employ gay people, and have put a gag rule on healthcare providers even discussing abortion.

The other side is refusing service to the specific people who are part of the administration perpetuating this legislation.

These sides do not have equal weight. Acting up against people who are oppressing other people is never going to be as bad or worse than the actual oppression.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed... but the really "funny" part is that they are being hoisted by their own petard. The wording of their law is being followed here, just not with their intended outcome. Go figure.

"Wait... you can't do that to US!"

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Remember when Joe Biden was refused service in a bakery back in 2012 because he was working with Obama and the GOP praised them for doing so?

Womp Womp.

20. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded