Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You'd think Police would have his home address on file, him being such a controversial public figure now. And that they'd have learned a thing or two from the last major swatting incident.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The caller said someone was holding the family hostage with a rifle. Given the amount of vitriol directed toward him, that sounds within the real of possibility.

We don't know the details of what the SWAT team did or how or if they entered, but going to that house with a SWAT team in response to a call like that doesn't seem unreasonable.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So they gave the same sit-rep as the guy killed by the police in Wichita. In other words, this was attempted murder.

5. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except that the SWAT team that murders never is charged with murder. Exonerated, always.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

But somehow the guy who made the call from hundreds of miles away is charged. Funny how that works out.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember the Stanford rape case? Well, the judge just got unseated. I have no sympathy for Turner, but I think people really don't get that registering as a sex offender pretty much ruins your life. He will never get a job that is more than $2-3 above minimum wage, when he is able to get a job at all. In total sincerity I would much rather go to prison for 5 years than have that on my record.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Turner in particular won the Pariah Lottery. Everyone knows what he looks like, and what he did. He will always be That Guy.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of the time, even after they get out, they still have to register. I’d much rather him be impaled on a pitchfork though. Registering as sex offender blows.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

And also his name is Brock.

If your name is brock your life has to consist of doing athletics, beer, and women.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Also Hunter, Landon, or Chad. Fuck those guys.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it was mark geregous that was saying he’d advise a client to take any deal that kept you off the registry even if it means doing 3-5 years as part of the deal. It is that stigmatizing. Had a restaurant manager once on the list for hooking up with a student when he was a teacher. It was the first thing you heard about him and people came in and would call him out.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about judges' seats being dependent on liberal or conservative voters. One the one hand, it seems necessary, but I also don't like the idea of having to placate a bunch of voters with strong partisan leanings who are making judgement calls on cases when they don't necessarily know the details.

Then again, appointed judges can suck quite a bit. I feel like judges who make rulings that are flat out wrong, like the judges who ruled the travel ban unconstitutional should just be thrown out. Whatever your political beliefs are, your job is to interpret the law, not just make shit up based on what you personally believe. Like many things though, I'm sure that would be hard to implement in a fair manner.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody seen this case, about the crazy guy in Texas on death row?
    http://www.heralddemocrat.com/news/20180606/attorneys-attempt-to-get-andre-thomas-another-appeal

He killed his wife and two young children, cut out their hearts, took them home in his pocket and threw them away. He also stabbed himself a few times. Within the first week he was arrested, he plucked out one of his eyes, and a few years later, he cut out the other eye. And ate it.

He is clearly mentally deficient. But, is it more humane to NOT execute him because he's not competent, or more humane TO execute him to put him out of his misery?

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would say put him out of his misery.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

This is a good argument and I'm curious what other opinions are on it.

I've always been against the death penalty simply because I think that life in prison without parole is the worse punishment, and that being executed is essentially the easy way out (also capital punishment cases are more expensive). Like if someone raped and murdered my family, I'd feel much better knowing that they're spending the rest of their life behind bars instead of getting the needle in a decade or so.

As far as the case you quoted, at least from what I can tell, he's not mentally "there" enough for life in prison to have the intended effect anyway. I know this sounds cold, but I say treat the case like a rabid animal and just put them down. He is too violently ill to get any better, and he's a danger to himself and possibly others if kept alive. Night night and and let that be the end.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I tend to agree with that.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm against the death penalty because we don't have it perfected yet. We kill the wrong people a lot. And we do it terribly. Its a tough position to take sometimes knowing a lot of the people who get the death penalty probably deserve it. To be revived and then executed again. But quite frankly, Saudi Arabia beheading fools on the street is more humane than what we have right now. We always need to be better than places like that.

In this guy's case above, I say shooting squad.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really?