Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The years that the media cheered Obama's changes to EPA policy regarding emissions controls and other rules that have driven coal to the brink, natural gas up and barred nuke plants while providing no scalable alternative that can supply energy anywhere equivalent to coal or natural gas. Most of the impacts which have yet to be felt as coal-fired plants that will be needed for increased demand have yet to be built. All of which will drive up energy costs in the near to middle term, yet here we are listening to the AP say energy costs are a problem now. You can't cheer lower greenhouse emissions/higher energy costs, push forward renewables that aren't ready for the big show yet and then whinge about energy costs at the same time; sorry it doesn't work that way.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    It's never a good idea to bring a big mouth to a gun fight. Maybe Chicago should offer classes on how to interact with people holding guns?

"Whatcha going to do with that gun bitch? You gonna shoot me bitch? I ain't worried about that gun bitch"

*BANG*

Cue Nancy Kerrigan theatrics.

Also speaking of Chicago, they just caught a 14 year old and a 12 year old trying to jack a car. The 14 year old was already wearing a monitoring device because he'd been caught in previous car jackings. Both were released, without being charged, to their parent's custody because the parents are doing such a stellar job raising their children.

#8242 toytoy88, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That video was hilarious. What an idiot. Next time keep your trap shut around armed people

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I guess since it’s awards season so cue the celebrities grabbing the mic and prentending they care about some bullshit.

So, Natalie Portman decided to point out the lack of female directors nominated at the GG’s. Yes, very sorry Wonder Woman got shot down, but.... If I were to pick a top 10 films for 2017, they would all be directed by men. Sorry. Just like the movie Portman won a fucking Oscar for. Just like that movie (Leon/The Professional) that Luc Besson picked her out of 2000 girls that applied. What was the point of her outburst besides “look at me!”?

Oh, just shut the fuck up and read the fucking TelePrompter. All of you. Then have Leo shame us for our Carbon Footprint and hop on his private jet to France. Or have Sean Penn tsk tsk a planned joke then go home and beat up his wife.

These people make tetrillions Of dollars doing the easiest job in the world. But stick to it. Very sorry that you have to wear a ball cap and sunglasses when you go to Starbucks, but having a house with an airport probably makes up for it.

6. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you honestly think women get a fair shake at directing movies in Hollywood?

I know your schtick is to get outraged and complain about outraged complainers, but so few women even get chances to direct movies (especially the kind that would get award season kudos) that your position of “the best movies are always by males anyway” doesn’t really hold much traction.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are you basing this on?

8. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So it's another one of those if it's not proportional it's a conspiracy against the people, wrapped up with shit like this,

"Clearly, the perception of directing as a masculine activity in the fictional arena contributes to the consistent employment of male directors and the exclusion of female directors."

Ok, that answers that question. Carry on then. Maybe they should look to how Kathryn Bigelow managed.

10. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why shouldn't directing jobs be more proportional? What's your explanation for the disparity in those numbers?

Pointing to one successful female director doesn't counter the argument that women aren't treated fairly in film. But since you mentioned her, let's listen to Kathryn Bigelow.

http://time.com/3856444/kathryn-bigelow-aclu-sexism-hollywood/

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah OK but can we talk about Oprah 2020? I'm down for it, the bar's been lowered so much anyone can just step over it. But at least with her we have an intelligent, *actually* self-made billionaire with a history of philanthropic work and no bankruptcies. Fuck it, why not?

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Oh good, another unlikeable female candidate. She couldnt buy herself an Oscar for over a quarter century, maybe she can buy an election.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean these are people complaining about equality in self-congratulatory award shows they themselves run. I have little sympathy for them. They want to think they are the forefront of progressive thought because they work in a very public industry, that just also happens to have the most stratification as far as gender and racial inequality of any industry. Get your own house in order, no one is stopping you. Im just here for quality content from these people.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My thoughts exactly. They stand there and bitch about something they, themselves, could do something about. And I would also like to hear the names of these people who prevent female directors from existing.

15. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If "buying herself an Oscar" is the worst of it, I'd say run baby run. How is she unlikeable?

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Because it was a dumb idea with Trump and it will be an equally dumb idea with Oprah? What makes her a good candidate?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I actually have a lot of respect for what she did and how she got to where she got. She busted her ass, and was incredibly loyal to her staff.

Not saying that I'd back her position on Mad Cow disease, but she seems to be a better individual than Trump.

That being said, someone's "likeability" should not be the basis upon which you elect them to office.

18. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Judging by the likely field......the competition?

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She’s is going to give me a new car. That makes her likable.

20. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In this new Age of Trump the better question is, what makes her a poor one? She's smart, accomplished, rich as fuck with no emolument conflicts that we know of, and again, a public history of putting her money where her mouth is in charitable donations and organizations. You don't think she'd be able to learn the ins and outs of the Presidency as she went?