Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Haven’t read this article but the general meaning of fast lanes as I understand is providing different rates to access different content.

For example, since Comcast and nbc are partners

$5/ gb when using Netflix
    $2/ gb when using nbc’s streaming service which will push users towards isp owned services.

Or another way would be charging Netflix a higher rate to distribute the content across that particular ISP’s network. Which would then be passed along to the consumer. This isn’t about charging different rates for faster speeds but different rates depending on what you’re looking at.

Someone correct me if i am describing that incorrectly.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I understand all of that. I took the article to mean they were vilifying consumers paying more for faster internet speeds.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think you’re conflating bandwidth and speed.

Imagine it like a water hose. Bandwidth is like the diameter of the hose, and speed is like pressure.

They’re talking about two hoses with the same diameter, but charging you for high pressure feeds.

It’s much more complex than that, but that’s why most people don’t care... they don’t understand it. And because they don’t understand it, then they think it doesn’t matter.

There is a huge reason that ISP’s and cable companies are fighting so fuckng hard for this. They can charge you more because of it.

Period.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m fairly ignorant to this ordeal. This isn’t happening to us in Canada, right? Is it USA strictly who is getting the shit end of this stick or will this effect us in ways too?

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Canada and a number of other countries have come right out and enacted legislation forbidding what is happening in the US right now.

It's a really fucking bad thing. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise doesn't understand it.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

From what I am making of it, it is bad. Most Americans think it is bad. And the FCC is telling all these people to go fuck themselves because they have been openly, almost honestly corrupt about this. And it’s so strange to watch everyone just seemingly sit there and take it: Their asshat chair does a mock video with a clinically insane Alt-right whore and nobody does anything about it?

7. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What do you propose we do? Armed rebellion? With half the country scared of anything that even looks like a gun and the other half being a bunch of Open Carry weekend warriors who didn't have the balls to enlist? With Police militarized like they're patrolling the streets of Mosul? No way, let the other guy do it, we got some good twitter e-thugging to do.

8. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

General answer - stop voting in corrupt assholes

Hope that the attorney general of New York and any other state that joins in on filing a lawsuit against the federal government are successful. Support the organizations that are trying to push back and raise public awareness about these issues. Because as much as we discuss it around here, I had to explain it to people i work with because they have no idea what it is or why it is important.

This will hurt constituents of both parties. The reason they are able to do this and get away with it is because these people have almost no risk of losing an election. If their constituents are made aware of these policies then they have the ability to call and say vote against this or we will vote you out. Yes I know how naive it sounds that Our government could work the way it is supposed to. But, that’s my answer as far as what to do.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We were pissed because our bill has been $5higher each billing cycle from Comcast over the last several months. El hubs got on the phone with AT&T because their advertisements for speeds looked good. the sales dude at right up lied about the speeds. He said that 50mbps is the same as 150mbps because it was a dedicated fiber line. So hubs said so we have 87mbps when we run a speed test now on our Comcast shared line, what would a speed test show for their service? oh, it'll show 50 but you're really getting 150!

So to confuse the matter further, you have sales people straight up lying about their services. hubs knew the real deal and laughed at the guy but how many people believe it because the sales guy sweaaaars that's what you're getting?

Between the lying with no recourse and the arbitrary billing practices with next to no competition... shit storm. I am not confident it will be getting better.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Whoo Boy! Memphis is in for it now! There's a planned rally against the removal of the statues.

"...we have close to 10,334 riders coming in from Cali to New York even a few Canada patriots as well as 2 from Australia."

Translation: 17 Rednecks with Confederate flags, 6 autists with frog t-shirts, and one confused 87 year old wearing a MAGA hat who was invited by his autistic great grandson.

11. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What an oddly exact number to be “close to” in attendance.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    17 Rednecks with Confederate flags, 6 autists with frog t-shirts, and one confused 87 year old wearing a MAGA hat who was invited by his autistic great grandson is theoretically close to 10,344 if you take into account the infinite amount of numbers.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“CLOSE to 10334 riders”

...so the crowd will be under that utterly obscure number pulled from ass. And RIDERS, my friends. No squareheads coming to fuck with us.

9C6B1573-24AE-40DB-9B3C-2C4B561E7C72.jpeg

14. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What a fucking moron.

Attached Files:

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s right. He has the inside scoop in America that all the other countries and scientists in the world don’t already completely know.

I wish USA knew how hard the rest of the world laughs when we read this shit like this. Like I’m talking really, REALLY hard. The fact the country has wide-spread denial is laughable all by itself, however his mouth is a non-stop attack ad on his own country that just cranks out the hits. I’ve never seen anti-intellectualism boasted so proudly in my entire life.

#8235 Crown Royal, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who’s that little cocksucker in the first tweet below?

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

D445F317-06BA-406D-89E3-61B0063866B4.jpeg

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Believe me, we know.

19. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://apnews.com/8b7a28cb545e40a6...-costs-eyed-amid-brutal-cold-snap-gripping-US

Strangely, now energy costs are a problem? I seem to recall a certain world leader, cheered by the media with pom-poms in hand, doing everything in his power to raise energy costs to include explicitly stating he wanted to see fuel costs on par with Europe. To go along with that, I love the conclusion of the article, the only answer, the ONLY answer is more Government spending.

20. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What are you referring to?