Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or, Betty, down at the County registration department, wouldn't dream of telling her cousin Larry, who did a nickel in the Greybar Hotel, that Mr. Dirty has a real nice supply of guns and ammo over at 437 Elm Street.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I understand and appreciate how difficult it will be to collect data on guns.

Gun crimes, on the other hand, and the usage of firearms by police should be a no-fucking-brainer policy. I can't think of a detriment of having a national "gun violence incident" registry or database somewhere. For fuck's sakes, we have them for shark attacks.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Get rid of your shoe laces. What are you some sort of racist?

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In Canada we have to register all restricted firearms, but non-restricted (long guns, etc) don't have to be.

They tried to do a Federal long gun registry a few years ago, and it turned into a $600 million cluster fuck that eventually got shut down and scrapped.

Most people I know (myself included) registered a couple of minor guns we had (an old .22, a shotgun, etc), to show we had done something, but nothing else was registered. I have over 30 firearms in gun safes, and felt no need to register them.

After all, the criminals aren't licensed anyway, so why the fuck would I, a legit, reasonable owner, have to go through with it?

Yeah... registries don't do shit.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

One thing they could do though, if the government ever decides to confiscate guns, is provide them with a nice, tidy road map. No thanks.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I guess he did find them. Maybe. There's so much conflicting information being reported it's hard to keep up.

"Paddock bought the .308-caliber and .223-caliber tracer ammunition from a private buyer he met at a Phoenix gun show, a law enforcement official not authorized to comment on the investigation said on condition of anonymity."

I hope they mean "Private seller" rather then "Private buyer."

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it just means he bought it from another dude that was there browsing and not someone with an official booth. Are tracer rounds illegal in all states? I've seen two buyers at a gun show meet up in the parking lot for transactions on guns before. I don't think that's illegal.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

A few more new tidbits: They have security of footage of him at the hotel with a "Mystery woman" that they're trying to locate. It would seem to me if they were really trying to locate her they might try releasing the footage...chances are someone knows who she is. Once again I'm wondering if this is a red herring so whoever or whatever they're actually looking for is distracted.

Also the "Note" found in the room, that many have speculated was a room service bill showing that there were two people in the room, was described this way today:

"The source said investigators recovered a notepad with numbers in it "significant to the gunman" and were attempting to determine their meaning."

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After the O'Reilly scandal the snarkiness from fox news is surreal.

Hypocrisy aside -

Watch him bathe? The fuck? In what scenario did that proposition roll out? Is that a fetish, or...?

I'm going to skip reading the NYT story. There's some details you don't need to know.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Hell of a way to break up.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is about as close as Iv'e seen. It's well updated and maintained.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...un/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

It's the bump stock and the gun. He would have killed and injured a lot of people with a semi-automatic weapon, but you probably have to divide it by 5, if not more. It's another gun control issue that is borderline unsolvable because while I am against fully automatic firearms in the hands of the public, there's virtually no way to stop it. The modification options are vast and many are easy to make, no matter how illegal that specific modification is or isn't.

The real problem with all gun control debates is that they center on events that consist of less than 1% of homicides. Even if we pretended certain solutions were viable - eg dramatically reduce mental illness and prevent the ownership of 'the most dangerous guns' you wouldn't even put a scratch in the homicide rate.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

It’s funny watching these politicians learning about bump firing like it’s some kind of boogie man. You can do it with any semi auto. With a rifle, hell just put your thumb through your belt loop, press the gun forward against your trigger finger with your non shooting hand and hold on for dear life.

It’s also insanely dumb and dangerous, but people do it for fun.

Greater education about firearms, mandatory safety courses and the like before purchase, would definitely help. But that’s not gonna stop people from doing stupid shit.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about people having the right (or privilege I guess) for full auto. That’s akin to legalizing heroin in my opinion. Yes, in theory some people can do it safely. That’s an insanely small percentage though and not worth the societal risk.

There will always be determined idiots who will find a workaround for everything. The goal should be to reduce the number of idiots with guns, but since you can’t logistically do that, you just control what’s in your immediate circle. My 3 year old isn’t allowed to point even his squirt guns at people. Instill habits from a young age.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The Colt 1911. One day I will own one.

My eldest son’s name is Colt (Colton), my name is Sam (Samuel). We didn’t even make the connection until a few months after he was born. Needless to say his entire room is decked out in Colt revolver signs.

God made man, but Samuel Colt made all men equal, as the saying goes.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

You're going to hate me.

Years ago my girlfriend at the time's little brother was apparently kicking around the ashes of a burned down house and found a US Army issue 1911. I gave him $20 for it. A few years later another girlfriend's brother was a gunsmith. He cleaned it up, blued it, and got everything working as it should. I think I gave him $100 for his services. It wasn't as pretty as the day it was issued, but it shot just dandy.

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

The weird story gets weirder.

In a complete reversal, the police are now saying Paddock shot the security guard before he opened fire on the crowd.

I'm beginning to wonder if they have any idea what they're doing. There are so many discrepancies in this story it's hard to keep up.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The more and more I hear those videos, I'm also thinking it sounds more like a belt fed gun as opposed to a semi auto with some kind of modification like a stock. The rate of fire just doesn't sound as fast (and more consistent) as when you bump fire off the recoil.

They've yet to release a full list of what firearms he had, and the sheet with numbers on it was a list of calculations for range, drop, that kind of thing, so there was an insane level of planning that went into this. He also had some kind of protective gear for a potential escape in the room. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a flurry of arrests come out of this at some random time. You don't plan something that detailed by yourself.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guuhlllllll we'll hear Vegas truthers until the end of time. God damn it.

19. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or perhaps this marks the only time in the history of Vegas they actually have to do investigative work?

The conspiracy fodder will be there no matter what.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I'm just wondering how 200 full auto shots into a hotel hallway doesn't arouse any suspicion. And then 6 minutes later the guy opens fire for about 10 minutes while the police wonder exactly where he's at. I dunno....maybe check where someone just shot up the fucking hotel hallway with full auto fire?

Also now they seem to have dropped the narrative that he was with a hooker and are saying he was completely alone the whole time. Then where the hell did the hooker story come from? Something is just weird with this whole thing. The tin foil hat crowd makes more sense then the sheriff.