Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That fuckhead Salt Lake cop who roughed up the policy-abiding nurse doesn't have to worry about his precious part-time ambulance attendant job anymore--- he's been fired from it. Hopefully he'll be fired as a cop AND thrown in fucking jail soon like he deserves.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've honestly never seen a more clearcut fuck up in my life. Most police abuse has that gray fog of "matched a suspect description, may have been fleeing, limited or no video evidence" but this was just straight up arresting a working nurse, on video, while she and a hospital lawyer literally read the hospital policy, agreed to by the police department, out-loud, a policy that detailed that what he was about to do was super illegal. I can't even conceive of fucking up that badly.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You know it's bad when the police union boss isn't complaining to the press about what a screw-job this is (or has he?).

His liutenent is just as much an asshole as he is for giving the order.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I hate how cops get paid leave for this kind of shit. "Hey you fucked up, here's a free vacation." I know they have to do some investigative diligence, but Jesus Christ it's barely a punishment.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Usually they are given the benefit of the doubt, and if they are found to be wrong, they have to repay a large part of that paid leave.

I have no problem with people getting their due process, regardless of how "obvious" their guilt looks.

What really pisses me off is how some of these investigations can last months and months before they come to a conclusion and then act on it.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Well, in this incident there are THREE independent investigations against this asshole, so maybe they'll rush it consider everyone in the world wants this guy to get a pink slip. The Internal Affairs investigation will of course be bullshit, but both the civilian committee AND the D.A. have launched criminal investigations into it. Also, the hospital changed their policy so cops can't interact with medical staff whatsoever anymore. They plainly told the police in a press statement "Stay away from our nurses".

With Anons all over him to boot, his life is going to suck regardless of the outcom; and all that power he thought his badge had won't be able to do a damn thing to stop it.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd be very interested to know the legal standing there... just because the hospital has set a policy, doesn't mean that it's legal or the cops have to follow it.

For instance, if the cops have legit probable cause that there's a weapon or something like that, surely they can execute a search regardless of what the hospital policy is.

As far as I'm concerned, policies don't mean fuck all, and don't carry any legal weight (unless it's part of a contract). "It's our corporate policy to withhold your refund for 90 days". "Well, my personal policy is to get my refund right now or take you to court tomorrow."

8. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'd be interested in seeing the actual policy because on the face of it that's way too simplistic. With this policy in place how do they plan to handle dangerous patients? Most clinics/hospitals either call the cops or have security deal with it and then hand the person over to the police when they arrive; either way the police are involved. I'm guessing this policy creates some sort of go-between so that when the police come calling a specific individual or individuals are sent out to deal with them as opposed to any random staff member.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

According to administrators, They say that the hospital will no longer be permitting police to be in the same room as the nursing staff. They'll have to deal with a shift manager/supervisor (I'm paraphrasing, but something along that line) for any inquiries. It sounds like a "You want to talk to them, you deal with me first and I'll decide" sort of scenario.

The university has its own police since it's a UH, but the hospital is pissed at them too (and hospital security) for not stopping that schmuck from assaulting their nurse. Instead, they held the door open for him as he dragged her out.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I see this ending well when the police bring in a violent offender and leave that offender with the hospital staff and no police supervision. Because one cop was a power hungry dip shit, obviously they all are and rules need to be passed to protect folks from the cops.

When that violent offender gets loose and harms staff, patients, or the general public they can always fall back on "Well the police should've done something."

Passing laws, rules and regulations against the cops has worked out so well for Chicago and Baltimore I can't see why more communities haven't followed suit.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ya'll act like this is something new. Nurses hold together as much as cops do. I know a cop who so much as barked at a nurse once out of frustration and he got cold shouldered by the entire nursing staff for like a month. Nurses are def on my Wu-Tang Clan list.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nurses are a wierd tight nit crowd.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It makes sense that they are. Many of them spend more time around each other than they do their own families. That's how "frat" mentalities get produced.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't get why this story is national news. With all swirling around the story I was expecting to see someone get beat within an inch of their life. Didn't look like any more than a wrongful arrest and the officer has already been fired (and should be fired both jobs). But people want serious prison time for him? Really?

As for the case itself, it does raise interesting questions about what an appropriate policy would be. Checking blood samples to see if anyone was under the influence after a car accident is something that really should be done and there's a short window where you can get accurate results. Having to go through all the bureaucracy of processing a warrant is probably way too long. Maybe something like mandating the hospital take them, but doesn't turn them over to the cops until there's a warrant would be reasonable.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The policy makes perfect sense, and was agreed to by both the hospital and the police department (and congruent with a 2016 Supreme Court decision on the matter). The police can take blood under one of three circumstances: patient gives consent, patient is under arrest, patient is subject to a warrant. The latter two are both quite low bars to clear. The reason the cops couldn't clear them was that the patient was the victim of a car accident while driving legally, a car accident that resulted from a high speed chase that appears to have gone against department policy, and they were fishing for something that could reduce their own liability.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which is fine in most circumstances, but how would that work if the patient is unconscious like this one? You can't read him his rights so you can't arrest him (at least that's my understanding). He can't give consent because he's not conscious. By the time you get a warrant the results are probably irrelevant. What's wrong with the hospital taking a sample and then saying "You can't view the results until you get the warrant."?

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because it's a medically unnecessary procedure undertaken without a warrant. They'd get the shit sued out of them in a heartbeat.

You can arrest an unconscious person, they only need to be read their rights before being interrogated, lest the fruits of that interrogation be thrown out. Warrants are also very quick to be issued for things like this; there's an entire system set up where a judge is on call 24/7 to grant these kinds of warrants.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, this is the part that really has a bunch of people pissed off. It's not like they were trying to get a bad guy to rights, they were trying to cover their own (cop) asses by fishing for some other element that could in someway remove blame from them.

The whole thing stinks, especially when you see the raw body cam footage where they come off like asshole bullies.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that does put a whole other level of stupid to the cop's actions, if he had an option like that.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They didn't go that route because they had no probable cause for the warrant, no judge would have issued one, and they knew that.