Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

2. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So what does the left being passionate about Islamic terrorism actually look like, according to you? This seems like such a nothing statement.

I don't. Whatever's happening at Berkeley or Evergreen or wherever is a tiny drop in the bucket of things that get the radical right emboldened. Inferring that if the stuff at those aforementioned places didn't occur the radical right would just go away is laughable. Antifa is barely a thing all at, yet you keep going on about it as if it's some major movement or something. What's really emboldening the radical right at this moment is the shithead in the Oval Office and the white nationalists he's given positions in the executive department.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

"Passionate" as in "against it in every way".

Considering that these days the left seems to support Islam on nearly every level instead of condemning it entirely as they should is complete hypocrisy. Like that ridiculous Woman's March a few months back where they spoke out against a wage gap that doesn't exist, and support of an ideaology who's very law states that "women are the carriers of shame and shall be treated as such". There is nothing dumber on this earth than a Western woman or LBGTQ person who supports Islam, and nowadays they have more support than ever from those demographics, which are Left-dominated.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they were as apoplectic about Islamic terrorism it wouldn't seem as disingenuous or hipocritical when they down play it as a tiny fraction of a minority when in actuality qoutes like this:
    Could just as easily and rightfully attributed to Islamic fanaticism (or AntiFa). Parity in outrage would be nice be both sides like downplaying fringe elements to suit their own agenda.

#6924 Kubla Kahn, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I think it means discriminating against an entire religion of billions of people out of fear that something might happen in the future in addition to being passionate about things that are actually already happening here now.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I do not dispute anyone's right to PEACEFULLY protest.

But, you seem to be confusing the right to peacefully protest with acts such as hurling things at law enforcement, blocking city streets and interstate highways, violently assaulting anyone who disagrees with the group, and destruction of public and private property. No group has that right, no matter which side they're on, and one side seems to include those tactics into almost every protest or counter protest they are involved in.

7. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why doesn't blocking a city street fall under the category of peaceful protest?

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you not see the video yesterday where that violent protestor hurled her blood all over that poor man's car?

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this is a textbook case of the limits of being fair to both sides.

I can't think of a group WITHOUT a valid reason to protest white supremacists, Nazi's, and this collection of human trash. Literally, every single one of us has a valid reason to oppose their ideals.

By insinuating that they have a legitimate place in our political sphere is completely ignoring the disgusting history and the sacrifices of those that defeated them and their ideals.

They have the right to free speech, but that doesn't mean we should validate their beliefs by treating them with the same seriousness as other groups. It baffles me that "antifa" (and I legitimately don't know what that group is, is about or does) is somehow considered worse or on par with Neo-nazis, or that they somehow got what they deserve. If any rational being could be called to protest these pieces of human shit, and antifa stepped up, I say good for them.

These are tiny, scared little men who hide behind giant, horrific histories they didn't experience, have no ability to comprehend and pretend that their macho, violent posturing earns them some sort of respect. How any reasonable human being can see these protests featuring people who idolize and fetishize genocide, racism, slavery and evil, and think that the party they espouse to represent is the best thing for America (a country founded on diversity, enjoying a peace earned by literally dismantling the political party they admire) is simply beyond me. Any conservative, right-leaning or Republican looking at this with anything less than disgust needs to take a good hard look at themselves, at American values and history and make sure they're standing on the right side of it.

Why the fuck something like Islamic terrorism and the left is even broached in this discussion is completely how the discourse has lost it's way.
    "These people are aligned with the right and objectively evil. They are literally Nazi's."
    Well, so what...free speech and all that.
    "Yeah, but do you want them identifying with YOUR party? Couldn't hurt to denounce them, you know with that whole dog-whistling history your party has going on. Also, they are the most likely group to commit domestic terrorism."
    Oh yeah? Well...you support Muslims, so therefore you support Islamic terrorism!
    "No, I support religious freedom, because I'm an ACTUAL American and don't think it's fair to discriminate. And no one supports Islamic terrorism, we've spent trillions of dollars and thousands of lives fighting it. Glad to hear no one in my party is aligned with the literal worst of humanity and know our fucking history."

In short, in 2017 actual patriotism isn't red, or white...it's blue. And there is nothing sadder that can be said for the state of us.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

More silly, hollow grandstanding and an odd lack of understanding of the reasonably clear points that were made, but I'm assuming it's partially deliberate. But you can all wax poetic about being against fascism, your bravery should be applauded.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Antifa is basically a bunch of left-wing anarchist edgelords who want to get in street fights. The right wing media treats them as this giant boogeyman, but they're mostly ignored by the wider left, albeit regarded as slightly amusing because the people they tend to pick fights with are objectively awful.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

What's funny is, as much as everyone is blaming trump for the horror of Charlottesville, for giving white supremacists a voice, for letting them think their platform is legitimate... aren't we first to blame for trump? For giving him a voice and letting him think his platform is legitimate?

13. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In re-reading Juice's posts, I agree that we lack leadership to back the rhetoric down. John McCain made an honest effort in his healthcare vote, but I feel like it was lost on most people.

I'm genuinely curious where actual leadership will come from?

And, I'm genuinely curious...what has the Republican party's response to this been? I mean, I can't imagine a thornier issue, but surely there has to be something done to distance themselves from this.

This also feels like the fringe elements on both sides are given license to be objectively horrible and bask in attention they wouldn't otherwise get, but...fuck.

Ultimately, the question is: who do we all look up to that can restore a sense of faith in one another? Those charismatic people in the US that tell us to value one another tend to get shot.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I am not sure if this is invasive journalism and the mother is really that much not involved in her son's life, or if this is her playing stupid and acting like she didn't know what was going on. Either way, here is the mother of the dude who drove the car into the crowd of people, being interviewed by the AP, and apparently first learning of what he did on video.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, not hugely comfortable with that video. The mother is totally unaware of what happened, and the reporters are probing her for information when she has zero context for what's going on. I half expected her to say something like "But I thought the accelerators getting stuck was a problem with Toyotas."

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just because you don't like what someone is doing or stands for, as long as it's not illegal, they have the right to not get beat up.

It's too easy for observers to lump everyone on one side or the other, and ascribe the worst actions of any individual to the entirety of the group that they are aligned with.

I'm sure that some of the Antifa folks were there peacefully, but there were others that were there just to beat the shit out of some neo-nazis.

This is an incredibly emotional thing and it's easy to come out on the "beat the fuck out of the Nazi" side, but until it's illegal, or their actions cross over into what is illegal, then part of what America stands for is to let them do their thing.

Anyone who thinks that the right's of other individuals should be based on what you agree with, doesn't understand how that works.

If you don't like Nazi shit, then make it illegal, like Germany has.

17. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

The ironic thing is beating the shit out of Nazis was as all-American as you could get during the time When America Was Great.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But the "real" Nazis tried to take over the world and killed millions of people while wearing fancy clothes, and your country sent hundreds of thousands of people around the world and spent billions of dollars to KILL them... these fuckheads are just ignorant white trailer trash that don't really pose a threat.

Meanwhile, an American travelling in Germany made a Nazi salute and got the shit kicked out of him and is now under investigation.

https://apnews.com/7038efa32f324d8ea9fa2ff7eadf8f20

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That is some funny shit right there. How dumb can one person be?

Lesson: Play by the rules of the yard you're in.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]