Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Burn, Baby, Burn!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scotchcrotch, Jul 18, 2011.

1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm getting a kick out of Rupert Murdoch's recent trouble. This isn't some rogue reporter who worked independently. This was SOP for News of the World.

FOCUS: Will the recent phone hacking scandal cause long-term trouble for Murdoch? Will it create any ethical reform in the media?

ALT FOCUS: Who else do you know who has fallen from grace? Did your old boss get caught with a hooker and now works at Hardee's?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Sleazy tabloid is sleazy. Also, I think the Weekly World News made up Batboy. Just a rumor.

3. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

4. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He's under 50, his death is "unexplained," he's just exposed one of the richest and most powerful men in the world to possible (but clearly unlikely) ruin.

Nope. Nothing suspicious here, folks. Go on back to your homes, nothing to see here.

5. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a mysterious death like this got swept under the rug.

Has anyone heard anything about Piers Morgan being dragged into this? I recall he was, at one time, an editor at News of the World and worked at at least one other Murdoch owned business. Given his reputation as a slimy, amoral shitbag I wouldn't be surprised if he gets implicated in something sooner or later.

6. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe Bill O'Reilly will be implicated in this and we can exile him to a deserted island with Nancy Grace. I obviously don't watch his show, has he even mentioned anything about the whole scandal? Or that other whackjob Hannity?

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone on facebook implied the same Michael Clayton level conspiracy. Ugh. What ever.

If they had targeted Murdoch with the hacks instead of royals and dead teen girls they'd be celebrated hacktivist!

8. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, and if you shoot an armed rapist you're a hero, but if you shoot a newborn puppy everyone hates you! What gives?

Seriously though, of course corporations screwing the little guy is going to be a bigger story than the other way around.

(edited for thread confusion)

9. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Today's lessons:

Absurdly coincidental and convenient unexplained death creating at least a base level of suspicion = Michael Clayton level conspiracy. Also, use of mediocre movie as historical reference = obvious lack of knowledge of actual history.

Exposing rich, powerful moguls and/or corporations for their crimes against society = sleazy money-driven breaches of common decency and civility.

In tomorrow's lesson, we'll learn that if you take what you're given, you deserve what you get!

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would that be the actual conspiracies you are referencing in our past or the way unfounded assertions and out right lies that become the truth in the publics mind because people are morons?

My whole point is that it is hypocritical to think innocent people weren't violated by the fat sleazy basement dwellers from anon but innocent people were violated by fat sleazy waste of space from rag mags when the same illegal privacy invasion was used by both. The culture of corruption predated wikileaks and the "hacktivist" movement but these two certainly gave legitimacy to the tactics that were wrong to begin with. I refer to the illegal obtaining of information not the legitimate whistle blowers.

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Umm, most people I know were pissed at the "Hacktivists" that hacked Sony, Nintendo, and the various other companies. They violated the privacy of millions for shits and giggles, or to expose "poor security." Bullshit. They did it because they can, just like these reporters did it because they could. I honestly know of very, very few people who weren't pissed at the hacktivists for their activities. Now, wikileaks, I can't speak for, as I barely paid attention to that.

I know of very few people that weren't angry about the hacktivist activity putting their personal information at stake. The difference is simple: In the case of the Hacktivists, people weren't just angry at the hackers, they were angry at Sony for having such shitty security that it was so EASY to hack. Sony had complete control over their own security, and they dropped the ball, so people were angry at them. In the case of reporters hacking phones, the victims of the hacking had only minimal control over how secure their voice mail was (which consisted of choosing a PIN), so getting mad at them for "letting" themselves get hacked is just stupid.

Edited to add:

Lulzsec hacker group targets Murdoch and The Sun website

Pot, meet kettle?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Say what you will about the "hactivists", but Lulz hacked the Sun's web page yesterday. The Sun, in case you didn't know, is the flagship paper for Murdoch.

Here's the JPG of the site, spoilered for size.

My favourite bit:

That's fucking hilarious.

Attached Files:

• lulz.jpg
      lulz.jpg
      File size:
      497.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Murdoch was being questioned in Parliament and got whacked in the face with a cream pie.

#13 Nettdata, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope that somewhere "Yakety Sax" was playing as they chased the guy who pied him.

#14 effinshenanigans, Jul 19, 2011
  15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know anything about Wendy Deng (Murdoch's wife, I think) or what Murdoch exactly is guilty of . . . but that overhand bitch slap to the face she delivered was fucking awesome.

#15 Rush-O-Matic, Jul 19, 2011