Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Breaking Bad Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by dubyu tee eff, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Yeah I know it's still a week away, but I'm dying of waiting and I need to get all this breaking bad energy out somewhere. Let's start discussing it, people.

I've been rewatching the entire series to satisfy the cravings. About 3/4 of the way through season 3.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess comedian Bill Burr has a multi episode arch this season, curios to see what they have him doing. I hope it doesn't turn to an on the run show like I hear happened to Weeds after they burned down Agrestic (or the season after that). I have a feeling he'll be able to broker a deal with Gus if killing the hippy cook gave him any time. I think keeping Skylar in the loop laundering the money could be a good line that adds some different drama.

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show has had some of tv's truly greatest "holy shit" moments. I can't wait to see what this season brings.

From one of the commercials I saw, it looks like Walt goes after Gus' position.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Holy fuck.

Gus has a way of making a point.

The season opener did not disappoint.

5. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fuck indeed. They delivered on every level. Especially the way they worked Gus' scene. Except for one tiny thing:

When Gus gets to the top of the stairs and says "Well, get back to work". I thought he should have said, "Now clean that up and get back to work."

Other than that, superb.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

SSSHHHH!

Yeah I guess that makes sense if Walt ever intends on being safe from Gus. Pretty good opener and I think Jesse acted a lot more mature then his normal ballZ grabbing self.

7. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I loved when Skyler found the eyeball in Walt's drawer. I've taken the eyeball from the teddy bear to be a metaphor for the characters' former innocence looking back at them. Walt confronted it many times last season and after Skylar lied to get into his apartment, she's confronted with it as well. Powerful.

Gus looked so fucking powerful in the entire scene involving him, especially when he was walking along the catwalk and down the steps. They're doing a great job of establishing as the villain for the season.

I'm really going to miss Gale. When they didn't show him dying in the previous season I was holding out some hope they might find a way to keep him around. I guess he had to die to keep the storyline sensible but his presence will be missed.

One thing I'd really like to see this season is a little bit more explanation of what went down between Walt and Gretchen/husband. They've only briefly addressed the issue showing that they screwed him over in some way or another making Walt walk away from their business, but why did a Chemistry Ph.D. end up a chemistry teacher exactly? A few flashbacks would be nice.

God I love this show.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The hippy dippy meth cook never did much for me, kind of a spineless guy (as illustrated by his sputtering chat with Gus as the beginning of this episode).

9. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Agreed. I don't think Gale would have been a worthwhile character over a longer arc. He'd have been pretty one dimensional. It would be a bit much to have TWO chemists become bad ass drug kingpins.

I don't have much to add now apart from parroting my agreement that it was a great first episode. I love the way they include gritty elements, from Marie helping Hank shit in a bedpan to Walt and Jesse mopping blood down the drain. Those scenes, where the characters tackle shitty, mundane tasks that are the result of their past actions, tie the show together for me.

My only problem with the show is waiting to watch week to week!

10. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

When Gus's assistant smiled up at him with that "Oh yeah, they're fucked now" look I knew the murder was coming (obviously the two main characters weren't dying). I think Jesse is right and Walt is wrong as far as Gus having no choice but to keep them alive. Someone also mentioned Hank possibly becoming addicted to painkillers. Maybe three years ago, but that storyline has become a cliche. With all his free time I see Hank finding out about the money and becoming suspicious of Walt and Skyler. There's nothing a guy like Hank wants more than to start solving cases again.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's funny how Gale is actually a mirror of Walt's weaker side. Gale is dead basically because he respected the science too much, ran his mouth where he should have shut the fuck up worked. Pretty awesome what's going on the main plot with the nice hint at the end. I'm wondering what they're going to do with the side plot.

12. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely. I've heard a few complaints about the show not having enough action for a season premiere, but to me, the acting was so top notch that I barely even noticed.

Case in point: Jesse staring at Gus in the basement when he is standing next to the Latino dude. His gaze was so full of hatred that I couldn't even look away from the show if I wanted to. What makes Breaking Bad so amazing is that you feel the emotions along with the characters, your heart is in your throat with them, your chest breaks apart for them, adrenaline pumps with them. It's insane that they are so adept at making this happen.

Additionally, Skylar gained points in my book for actually getting into the game and doing something other than whining at Walt.

13. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed because to this point that horse faced cunt could go fuck herself for all she added to the show except for a break from awesomeness to being assaulted by her self righteousness. So long story short? Word, I agree.

14. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think his purpose (especially with his death) is to show that Walt is unequivocally hurting "innocent" people for his own gains. Jesse's girlfriend, the people on the plane (indirectly), etc. Gale is supposed to be the innocent chemist who is interested purely in science, who doesn't deserve to have anything bad, and he's the first one in that circle to get murdered by Walt's hand. Not to mention Walt compelling Jesse to commit coldblooded murder.

Anyway, it was a decent and strong start to the season, opens up a lot of doors in terms of where the arc of the season can go.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also think Gale served to show just how good of a cook Walt really is. It will also be interesting to see where the cook notes he had at home will lead, now that they've been found by the cops.

16. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I hope it does something to help break Hank out of his funk. Seeing him all pathetic like that is ok for now, but that's just not something I can watch for a whole season,especially after his incredible badassery in taking out those two loco brothers.

17. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know it's early to make predictions, but I'm betting that Hank somehow becomes involved in the investigation of Gail's murder.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was pretty badly affected by shooting the loco with the golden gangsta grill. He'll be in a funk for a while but eventually his competency in detective work will lead him back to the DEA. I really never like his wife and hope they don't focus on his debby downer shit with her the whole season.

19. TheLegendaryEsquilax

TheLegendaryEsquilax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I found Gale creepy and unsettling. The quirky, pleasant behavior, the professed ignorance of the drug trade, the goofy music he has playing before Jesse kills him, etc. I think Gale must have had a professional breakdown that made him unemployable in the professional world. I think Gus must have found him by accident. The "I'm a libertarian" reasoning always sounded like rationalization. I hope to see how Gus and Gale met as the season progresses via a flashback, there is just something really fucking slimy about the guy.

Nobody who is purely interested in "science" and has a ton of opportunity to make money legally decides to work for a ruthless drug kingpin in an underground lab to produce a highly pure form of a drug that has ravaged communities throughout the US. The "libertarian" stuff sounds like some bullshit justification that he would tell other people. He is not innocent, I'm glad he's dead, and I'm confused why some people felt sorry for him.

I'm going to be very disappointed if it turns out that there wasn't a deeper motive to Gale deciding to work with Gus revealed throughout the season.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aside from the notebook I don't think we'll hear anymore from Gale. I liked last nights episode. The hitman knows Walt is WAY over his head thinking he is going to kill Gus. I know an appearance by "Heisenberg" usually has people creaming in their pants but I think history has shown Walt usually fucks up when he tries and act like a super badass criminal, outside of plowing over the one drug dealer and then capping the other. I have a feeling at some point Gus will threaten Skyler and his cripple son and he'll have no choice but to kill him, I have a feeling Walt's actions will lead to Gus doing this.