Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boys don't cry...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrotherNumberOne, Nov 16, 2009.

1. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Quite the story. When that crowd rushes the court it gets me every time.

#41 burned ice cube, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. OCBtip

OCBtip
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

What a post to start off...

I usually don't cry at movies, I seriously can't remember the last time I cried during a movie since I was a kid.
    But last year I saw Dear Zachary and I fucking lost it. It was a combination of anger and pity and that goddamn helplessness you could feel watching that movie that really did it for me.
    I watched it once and I never will again. It's just too heartbreaking.

And there was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's just the perfect book.

3. Lakeshow

Lakeshow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have to go with Marley & Me. The ending killed me, I was crying like a baby.

Also, the Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama. The last scene with the dog waiting is a definite tearjerker.

4. Saint

Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Where the Red Fern Grows. If this did not move you, you either have never had a dog, or you have no soul. (tomato, tomatoe)

I second Jimmy V's speach.

5. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Dude, your post kind of made me cry... kind of <sniff>.

As for me,

Finding Nemo gets me every time, the part at the end when the Dad fish is yelling "But you can't son!" and it perfectly captures all of my own personal Daddy issues.

Also of course, the ending of Rudy, even though I can't stand Notre Dame. Though, I think anything played to that Rudy theme will make me cry anyway.

6. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just for the record, I got back in 3/07. Not in the military anymore.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a softy and always choke up when hearing the Nation Anthem. I'd say Taps too but that's always played at funerals so I don't know if that counts in this discussion. HBO Sports Documentaries always get me. Damn heart tugging music.

8. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The scene in season 3 of Mad Men, when Don and Betty are telling the kids they're splitting up(kind of, you know what I mean), it seriously struck an old nerve from my own parents divorce when I was around that age, I bawled hard.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Roy's death scene in Blade Runnner.

It's personal, and fuck you.

10. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The other day I was driving home from the town I go to college in. I'm from a rural community and the song "Where I'm From" came on the radio. The line "Where the quaterback dates the homecoming queeen; the trucks a Ford and the tractors green." really choked me up. I miss the country.

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably one of the stupidest movies that gets me choked up is Con Air. They set you up like a sucker all throughout the movie - he gets out of the Army and he's so happy to finally be home. His wife is pregnant, life is good. But then he goes to jail because of some stupid horndog. Cage's stupid southern accent as he writes letters to his wife and child that he's never seen because he doesn't want her to see her daddy in jail. Throughout the movie he's talking about how he just wants to get home to his "humminbird." And then finally, in the last scene when he finally sees his family and the bunny floats by in the gutter and he gives it to his daughter and that goddamn song "How Do I Live" builds to crescendo. Ugh! Gets me every frickin time!

12. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've never actually cried during a movie, and it takes a lot to get the lump in my throat, but there are a couple that grab me and don't let go.

Gladiator: The very end, when Maximus has died, and he's going to see his wife and son again in the Elysian Fields.

United 93: I don't think I need to explain what happened at the end, and why it's hard to watch.

13. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Jesus, glad I am not the only one. Pretty much every boxing documentary they have ever done has hit me hard.

For one, I lost my mother when I was very young, and the Legendary Nights: The Tale of Tyson-Douglas always choked me up a bit. Douglas lost his mom shortly before the Tyson fight, and his trainer was saying "Let's call the fight off." Douglas said no, that his mom would want him to continue, and in the words of Larry Merchant, it "galvanized him, it made him the fighter of his dreams" [just typing that gives me goosebumps] and we all know what happened after that. Douglas scored the biggest upset in heavyweight boxing history, knocking out Tyson. In an emotional post-fight interview, Douglas broke down saying it was for his mother, and his father who was a boxer that never reached the level that Buster did.

Then you have Legendary Nights: The Tale of Chavez-Taylor, the story of Julio Cesar Chavez' incredible knockout with two seconds left in the fight of a Meldrick Taylor that had laid an asswhooping on the remarkable 66-0 Chavez for nearly the whole fight. I think it was a terrible stoppage, Taylor got to his feet, you have to let him make it the last two seconds. Then they show Taylor in his house watching the fight on some shitty ass TV getting knocked out, his speech is slurred, it's a terrible sight. That always jerks a few tears out of me.

14. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I wish I weren't such a jaded ass. A film can move me greatly, but for whatever reason they just don't move me to tears.

What's that? The end of Cat People when I was 11? Were you in my room that night, um I mean, I take the Fifth...

15. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I didn't see this posted but shit, nothing needs to be said.

#55 cdite, Nov 19, 2009
  16. charlieconway

charlieconway
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Being a not so talented hockey player from canada, this song really hits me :

#56 charlieconway, Nov 19, 2009
  17. CYbrosis7

CYbrosis7
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

#57 CYbrosis7, Nov 19, 2009
  18. Senna Vs. Prost

Senna Vs. Prost
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The 25th Hour The final scene in the car with "This life came so close to never happening".

19. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Very touching.

The only thing that kind of spoils this though is the gross commercialization of a very private moment. All the cameras kind of bugged me, but the look of the boy's face when he breaks down on the way to see his Dad was raw and very real. Makes me want to be a good father someday.

Good find.

#59 manbehindthecurtain, Nov 19, 2009
  20. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I never once cried at a movie, tv show, anything until I got pregnant at the age of 32. After that I cried during an episode of Grey's Anatomy (when they put the dog to sleep, it was so sad), commercials, anything involving kids, pets, etc.

After giving birth, I figured those nasty hormones would go away, and they pretty much did. until I saw the movie Changeling. I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed during that goddamn movie. When it was over my GF and I ran upstairs and just hugged our sleeping son for about 15 minutes. When she started talking about the movie the next day I had to make her stop because I started crying again. Damn that movie.