Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boys don't cry...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrotherNumberOne, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Second Brians Song. Good call JC62.

#21 Nitwit, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Braveheart: It may be my Scottish ancestry, the fact that I play the bagpipes and have performed as the Lone Piper at a few funerals, or it could be the love story... this movie really hits home with me. Enough that I can even overlook the fact that they're playing the Uillean (Irish) pipes for most of it, rather than the Scottish highland pipes.

I've seen the movie a million times, and will watch it a million more, and it gets me every time.

#22 Nettdata, Nov 18, 2009
  3. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Forgot to add this.

Everytime I see one of those news shots of some deployed Servicemember surprising their kid at school or wife at work or something along those lines, makes me tear up really bad.

When I returned from overseas, my youngest niece and nephew didn't know I was back in Phoenix, I pulled up to my brother's house, in my dad's jeep. I hadn't seen them in over a year, and they thought it was my dad, when they saw it was me, they ran up to me, I scooped both of them up, and we all started crying. I went into my brother's house and him and his whole family were there, and everyone had a good cry. I was later told that my oldest brother, who drinks like a fish, refused to have any booze for the duration of my deployment. "If my bro can't drink, neither will I" was the statement his wife told me he made when asked about it.

4. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got into Lost about a month ago and am already on Season 3. Damn, that show is depressing a lot of the time. In every episode at least two people are crying over something, and I've actually teared up in a few episodes when some of the characters die.

5. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know this isn't a movie, so mods delete it if it doesn't fit the focus.

Jimmy V's speech at the 1993 ESPY's will always make me tear up.

#25 Now Slappy, Nov 18, 2009
  6. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rudy. Cummon now. "I want Rudy to take my place coach.". "Ru-dee Ru-dee" Gimme a break.

March of the Penguins. How can a penguin freezing to death not be emotional? Its like Jaws drowning.

Finding Nemo. Specifically the beginning when the Dad finds the 1 egg left and when Nemo disappears.

Armageddon. "Colonel Willie Sharp, United States Air Force, requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I ever met."

7. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll say. Father-son stuff always gets me.

FOCUS: Maybe it's because I'm Indian, but Gandhi has always made me tear up.

8:04 on.

#27 RCGT, Nov 18, 2009
  8. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

To mention a recent movie.
    Up - Specifically the first 15-20mins of the movie. Absolutely tear jerking awesomeness

9. Stimpson J Cat

Stimpson J Cat
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I third this. It gets me every time. It's just so poignant, watching an old man search for justification that his life was worth the deaths of the men that saved him. It's a kind of connection between men that I can barely scratch the surface of understanding, and one that I pray I never have in my life.

Another movie that always jerks a few tears for me is Awakenings, with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro. Watching De Niro as his tics get worse and worse, and keeps fighting them, knowing that the new life he has is about to be ripped away again, is so moving. It says a lot about the human spirit and enjoying every moment of life. De Niro should have won the Oscar for this.

Shit. This thread is making me feel like I need to drink a beer and kill something ASAP, before I start menstruating and eating Luna bars.

10. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Almost the whole damn movie is depressing, but two scenes in particular get me every time: 1) the speech in Barnes & Noble and 2) the end of the scene in the house in Montauk where they get a second chance to say goodbye. I've made more asinine decisions over the past few years than I care to admit, and I've spent more time than is probably reasonable or healthy thinking about what I might have done differently and how my life might have changed as a result, so this movie is especially poignant for me. I never watch it with other people if I can help it.

11. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Forgot to add: in Lord of the Rings II: The Two Towers in the battle of Helm's Deep. The horn sounds, everybody runs to the gate, and it's the elves...who have returned to fight with the Rohan.

I get goose-bumpy thinking about it.

12. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have felt sad after watching many things...

After a few Lost episodes...

After rewatching old Arturo Gatti and Diego Corrales fights [may they Rest in Paradise]...

The plane crash in the movie Fearless with Jeff Bridges...

After about four or five scenes in Legends of the Fall...

Seconding Armageddon...this was actually one of my favorite movies when it first came out. I thought it was pretty well done. Bruce Willis is the man.

After about every other episode of Six Feet Under. I watched all five seasons of that show [an hour long each] over about a two month stretch and it was the most emotionally draining television show I ever got involved with. It is probably the one show that taught me the most about life [and presumably, death]. I don't know if I could ever start from the beginning, knowing how sad the final 10 minutes of the finale is.

61*...I just feel so bad for what Roger Maris went through to become the home run king. Barry Pepper played the role incredibly. You even feel bad for Mickey Mantle who was played brilliantly by Thomas Jane. This is my favorite sports movie of all-time.

Cast Away. "Wilson!!!" I can't believe I nearly cried when a guy lost a volleyball. That tells you how well done that movie was.

Dandelion, an indie movie starring Vincent Kartheiser and that boyish-looking girl Taryn Manning. The cinematography in this film is beautifully done and the acting is on par with it. Very sad ending when you want everything to work out.

The Green Mile. Enough said on that one.

Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story. A boxing documentary about Emile Griffith, a fighter from back in the day that was an in the closet homosexual. He fought a guy named Benny "The Kid" Paret, who called Griffith a Cuban meaning "faggot" in the days before the fight. Griffith killed Paret in the ring, and at the very end of the film, he meets up with the son of Benny The Kid and breaks down while apologizing. Heavy stuff.

Winter Passing. A sad movie that has Will Ferrell in it? Zooey Deschanel and Ed Harris [perhaps one of the greatest character actors] give ridiculous performances. There's a part in the movie where Zooey's character throws her pet cat into a duffel bag and into the river. I don't even like cats and that shit hit hard.

Basically I am a little bitch.

13. hiphopguru

hiphopguru
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

John Q.

I remember the last time I saw it I had to curl up in my recliner so the girlfriend couldn't see the tear slide down at the ending when his son is posing like a bodybuilder... awwwshit man.

14. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I will second that, but this movie REALLY pissed me off. All the trailers and commercials had you thinking it was going to be a stupid comedy, but all the funny parts were packed into the commercials.

15. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Band of Brothers:

Starting at 1:28. Gets me everytime.

#35 Muney, Nov 18, 2009
  16. Will-Furry

Will-Furry
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't know if I necessarily tear up, but a tingle definitely goes down the back of my neck at the end of Black Hawk Down when that Delta guy is jocking up to go back out into the shit after fighting all day.

17. breakylegg

breakylegg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Especially the last episode where the music fits perfectly as Claire drives away to flashforwards of the cast's collective death. I watched SFU in a heat through Netflix same as I did the first 3 seasons of The Sopranos, but SFU packs quite a whallop. Probably one of my favorite shows of all time.

Harold & Maude was mentioned before and I second that: "Trouble!..."

I am apt to cry whenever an animal dies in a movie, even got misty when Cujo bought it, but rarely do humans have me "passing the onion."

There's a 70s movie called "Bless the Beasts and the Children" where hippycamp kids try in vain to protect the slaughter of animals in the surrounding area of the hippycamp. I used to hemorrhage tears throughout that thing. Saw it again after buying it on Ebay and couldn't find the so-called "sad part". Maybe my mom was just pissed at me back then.

18. cllrbone11

cllrbone11
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Most of these have been mentioned but here we go.
    Click: I watched it for the first time alone in my basement. I was sixteen and my best friend's dad had died in a car crash a couple months before. The part where Adam Sandler is dying in the rain telling his son "Family comes first" had me crying like I was at the funeral again.
    Brian's Song: There must be at least four scenes that had me tearing up.
    Braveheart: Watched this for the first time with the friend's dad I mentioned earlier. He told me and his son how amazing it must be to have something you believe in as strongly as William Wallace did.
    Legends of the Fall: Brothers. No matter what happens you'll always have your brothers.

19. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wont say that this makes me cry, but I definately always get a shiver when I see this scene.

#39 McSmallstuff, Nov 18, 2009
  20. Tibbsy

Tibbsy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The final ten minutes of Dead Man Walking are probably the saddest and most haunting I've ever seen.

#40 Tibbsy, Nov 18, 2009