Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boys don't cry...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrotherNumberOne, Nov 16, 2009.

1. BrotherNumberOne

BrotherNumberOne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I had the usual Monday morning football back and forth at work this morning, came home later and decided to watch old Barry Sanders clips on YouTube.... It brought a tear to my eye. Was it the slo-mo awesome-ness of Barry's moves, was it the heart-lifting NFL Films music in the background? We all know chick-flicks pull on the heartstrings of all women (The Notebook, Beaches, and all that..uh.. stuff).

FOCUS:
    Fellers, what film makes you leave the room to 'get something outta your eye'? All guys have an inspirational movie or event that will, inevitably, bring a tear to your eye. What is it? ..and don't say 'Rocky' because we're all thinking it, anyway.

2. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a guy, but screw "The Notebook, Beaches, and all that..uh.. stuff".

Al Pacino's "Inches" speech, from Any Given Sunday makes me teary eyed every single time.

3. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Forrest Gump: Every single time, and I've seen it so many times.

Rudy: The ending, man.

Bicentennial Man: Don't ask why a move with a robot Robin Williams gets to me, it just does.

There are probably others, but I've come off as enough of a sap already.

4. PrimaryDisorder

PrimaryDisorder
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Harold and Maude - If you dont know, you never will.

Bukowski: Born Into This - The ending where he is reading the poem "The Bluebird" kills me every time.

Thats all I care to admit right now.

5. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: I love that this movie is bad ass with the violence and war stuff but it still has a great story with genuine characters and emotion. At the end when Hanks is dying and tells Damon to "earn this" and then the older Damon asks his wife if he has lived a good life, there is just something so subtle and real and amazing going on. It's been known to put a little lump in my throat anyway.

6. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Field of Dreams - Playing catch with the old man, I don't think there's anyway you can deny that. Add "if you build it, they will come" and you have a recipe for a cry-cheering disaster.

The end of that mays me tear up everything. Just thinking about it makes me have to turn away for a sec.

7. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

If you don't want the greatest movie in the world to be spoiled for you, stop right here.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry in my truck.

#7 Blue Dog, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I admit it. In the last few years I've had an exceptional amount of pussy moments. If it's about fathers and sons, untimely death, or a seriously tragic relationship, I will fog up.

The Green Mile. Jesus titty fucking Christ. In the theater, during the final scenes, I gnawed on my clenched fist just to choke back any tears. It still gets me. It's not just a quick melancholy ending, no. It drags on. Hanks' character is not done suffering yet. God has to drive the nail in just a little more. I feel utterly hollow by the time it's over. Fuck you Darabont. And fuck you Stephen King.

Into The Wild. As great as I thought that irritating little shit pulled off the climax, that didn't get me. Hal Holbrook did. That was a broken, lonely old man. The way he spoke, the way his eyes and his expressions conveyed all that sadness, all that nastiness under the surface men aren't supposed to talk about, was just too fucking real. He looked about ready to burst. Even though I'm 60+ years younger, I understood him perfectly. Side note: he got robbed at the Oscars.

Jason Robards in Magnolia:

Not a movie, but a book. East of Eden by Steinbeck. It'd make an exceptional movie if done right. The 1950s film version wasn't too hot. Nothing has ever been written that well about fathers and sons. It totally nailed the fear, loss, maladjustment in a strained relationship. All the ridiculous things men do and think to avoid pain, all the things they leave unspoken... it's all in there. I was blubbering by the end of it.

"Your voice tells and your eyes tell you're at war with yourself. But you shouldn't be ashamed. It's awful to be ashamed."

Your pop is supposed to be around to help you put that into perspective.

#8 CharlesJohnson, Nov 18, 2009
  9. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Iron Giant. When the giant sacrifices himself at the end with the boy's voice in his mind saying "You are who you choose to be." and he says "Superman." Man, that movie is awesome.

10. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How was Old Yeller not the first post of this thread? Damn that movie sucks to watch. I'm gonna go give my dog a treat now.

11. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

One movie that almost got me because of how unexpected it was, Click

Really caught me off guard when a so-so comedy with Adam Sandler does a 180 to depress-the-hell-out-of-you for a span of like 10 minutes.

That, and Big Fish. I really enjoyed that movie, great story.

12. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Patriot: The scene where Mel goes to the beach village to see his kids, and the little girl who doesn't talk finally asks him not to go. That will make me tear up faster than just about anything.

Forest Gump: The scene right after he gets his MOH and he's talking to the hippies, and Jenny comes wading into the water and he rushes out to meet her.

I think I am a girl on the inside, just a little.

13. Tyty

Tyty
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Friday night lights

The boys come so close, the whole town's well being hinges on how their football team does, Billingsly's father giving him the ring. Watching that movie is one of the best/worst things for my mental stability.

14. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The ending of Blow when he's recording the message to his dad.

#14 pterodactyl, Nov 18, 2009
  15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't/won't watch the stampede scene during the Lion King. Saw some of it once and I didn't like it. That part gets fast forwarded over every time.

Lately some of the movie trailers shown on TV have been getting me a little teary eyed.

The preview for The Blindside.

The preview for Up In The Air (which hits a little close to home)

I'm officially a little bitch since I was tearing up watching The Blindside trailer again. I need to get my estrogen levels tested.

#15 Guy Fawkes, Nov 18, 2009
  16. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I don't know if girls are technically allowed to answer, but delete away if not.

Only two movies have ever made me tear up. One was Steel Magnolias, which is a Chick Flick and consequently can't be mentioned here. The other is Backdraft, at the funeral, when Taps is playing and the fireman hands Rebecca DeMornay Kurt Russell's folded flag and salutes her.

And pretty much anything with bagpipes, if it's an emotionally charged event. I defy you to hear bagpipes, even at a wedding, and not get a lump in your throat.

17. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Miracle. Understanding the time and effort put in to go against the international community while being viewed as mediocre and to come out at the top of the heap? That is why people play sports. Trying to describe that feeling is like trying to describe colors, and this movie brings that feeling every time. Kurt Russel celebrating in the tunnel after the victory? Nothing but smiles

18. JC62

JC62
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

19. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Goddamn you for making me think about this.

#19 Beefy Phil, Nov 18, 2009
  20. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What Dreams May Come slays me. I'll bawl my heart out through the whole damn thing.

Lion King. As someone else stated, the scene of the stampede STILL makes me cry, and I must fast forward it.

American History X. Having your little brother pay with his life for what you taught him? Ouch.

Tears of the Sun. The scene where the village is being pillaged, raped and burned. I cry and feel ill about that kind of shit.

Maybe I just cry alot..