Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Books with Movie Appeal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toddus, Mar 31, 2010.

1. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

FINALLY make The Dirt by Motley Crue and Neil Strauss (who's a douchebag, and literally had almost nothing to do with writing this book but took much credit for it). I would prefer a cast of unknowns or character actors to fit the roles of Mick, Vince, Nikki, and Tommy.

Nikki Sixx quoted "Brad Pitt kept calling me asking to play me if we ever make The Dirt into a movie, but I keep having to turn him down because he's just not good-looking enough."

Love it.

[​IMG]

3. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The movie is currently in production I believe.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just confirmed it. It's being directed by Larry Charles (Borat, Religulous) and written by Rich Wilkes, who's probably the worst fucking screenwriter in Hollywood. The guy wrote the XXX movies and The Jerky Boys. Real good thinking, assholes.

5. cynismus

cynismus
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can't view the Askmen page at work, so please forgive me if this one is on there.

I was browsing the Book Club thread yesterday and saw that someone recommended Shantaram, and it reminded me how great of a novel that was.

I heard a while ago that it was in production and that Johnny Depp was going to star in it, but nothing new since. A google search tells me that it is stalled right now because Depp doesn't want to shoot in India or something.

Regardless, seeing this on film would be amazing, and I can't think of a better actor to play the protagonist than Depp.

6. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd like to see the Night's Dawn Trilogy made into well a Trilogy, possibly in six parts.

Even though the books are around 1200 pages each there is more then enough material in place to make a number of movies while only omitting or trimming an arc or two.

I can see it working and having a Sci Fi epic that is on par with Lord of the Rings* would be nice.

*first person to mention Star Wars gets a punch in the dick, it may be epic but it isn't a literary masterpiece

7. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That list really is terrible.

Word was going around that "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy is shaping up. God I hope so. If done right that would be the most intense movie of the new millennium. Scalpings, murderours bloodbaths, morality plays, naked retard on a leash, and the most terrifying villain in a "western." The Judge has got Oscar written all over it. William Hurt or Malkovich would be fantastic. Todd Fields (Little Children) and Tommy Lee Jones have been attached at some point. Hopefully Hollywood gets their shit together for this one. I may actually go see it.

East of Eden by Steinbeck. James Dean was in the 50s version which was a chopped up shadow of the heart-wrenching emotional scape of the book. I'd like to see a faithful version.

I've got a man crush on Frank Darabont. His King adaptations are better than the source material. Apparently he owns the rights to The Long Walk. Which is probably one of the finest pieces King ever wrote. Haunting, brutal, ugly material about a sick game where 100 teens walk until they die and the winner gets whatever they desire for life.

Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Landsdale. Murder mystery involving two friends that trade insults and beat the crap out of people. Pulp fiction at it's finest, very Elmore Leonard. If anyone has seen Shane Black's "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" then you have an idea about Landsdale's Hap and Leonard series. "Mucho" is the second installment (yeah I haven't gotten around to all of them) about Leonard's uncle dying under mysterious circumstances and a corpse buried under the inherited house. Landsdale is a kick even if Hollywood ignores him.

8. The Derelict

The Derelict
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I would love to see A Confederacy of Dunces into a movie. There's been a couple thoughts of doing it. The first starring Belushi and Pryor. However, Belushi dieing prevented that. Chris Farley and John Candy were both supposedly considered as well, sadly both died (I'm not sure either of those would have been very good. I don't think Chris Farley could have pulled off Ignatius). I guess Will Ferrell is the next in line to star as Ignatius...

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I don't know about everyone else, but I HATE watching a movie based on a book I've read.

In my head I've already assigned a voice to each character and imagined them to life based on the text. A movie only spoils all the images I've created in my mind with the help of the author's words. I'd hate to see some of my favorite books spoil the works of my imagination with someone else's interpretation of them.

On a side note, I hadn't heard about "The Dirt." I wasn't able to find a copy online, but I'm downloading a audio book of it at the moment. I can't wait to hear it, although I'd much rather read it.

10. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've been thinking for a while 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac could make a good film if done on a low enough budget.

11. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Neuromancer - William Gibson. A lot of elements from it are present in other sci-fi movies, but I'd love to see it done properly.

12. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I may be a Minnesota homer, but I have to say that the Vince Flynn series of books with Mitch Rapp as the character, if made into movies, would kick the living shit out of the Jack Ryan series of movies (i.e. The Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games, Sum of All Fears). The two characters definitely have their differences, with Mitch Rapp is more of a Jack Bauer type (which makes him way more kick ass). Not to mention, if you liked 24 in its glory days, that was when Vince Flynn was a consultant for the show.

What, no one wants to see a "Catcher in the Rye" movie?

13. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have thought about this one in the past too but I just don't see how you could pull it off. The book is just so immense that I struggle to see how it could be captured in 2 hours. Although I guess one could argue if Fear and Loathing in Las Vegascould be captured in celluloid so could On the Road. Although somewhat similar in style Fear and Loathinghad the benefit of being set in two locations, On the Road literally spans the country.

For me this one probably falls on par with Atlas Shrugged, sensational in concept but fraught in danger to pull off.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    God damn it. The audio book is in German.

Back to the drawing board...

15. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't know people in Mississippi read books...

Alt. Focus: Books that should be made into movies AGAIN because they fucked it up the first time.

[​IMG]

16. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd love to see them do one true to Busting Vegas, the second book by Ben Mezrich about MIT card players.

17. spoons

spoons
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

World war z by max Brooks

could be the best zombie flick ever if it's done right. I heard it was being worked on, with Brad Pitt involved, but I haven't seen any thing on it in a while.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im about a hundred pages from finishing this and honestly so much of the repetitive philosophical points that made the book so damn long could be cut WAY down for a movie. Other than tightening up her points so it is workable on film there are many events in the books that I wouldn't mind seeing axed for the sake of the medium. This is probably contrary to a lot of more hardcore fans that would feel that everything has a point and would diminish the totality of her philosophy if anything was cut.

Im a little stumped on who could play the characters today. After seeing Chinatown and Network a few weeks ago Im convinced it should have been made in the 70's with Faye Dunaway as Dagny, she had the acting chops and I think the more masculine yet still feminine look she had was perfect. Deniro could have played Fransisco and another heavy hitter could have played Rearden. Fuck even having the guy that played Fredo in the Godfather would have been perfect for Dagny's slimy loser brother. I couldn't say with as much certainty any actors or actresses that could pull that off today.

19. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

[​IMG]

I've said this so much even I'm getting tired of listening to myself. The last time I brought it up people rep'd me saying that Hollywood is too liberal to make a true adaptation of the book. I think true artists shouldn't let their personal politics get in the way of making a great movie.

Focus: I also want to see Ender's Game turn into something good. I think it has a chance of being tremendous with a cast of comprised entirely of appropriately aged actors and a director who won't pull any punches. Yes, the ambush in the shower would be the linchpin of the story, just like the novel. Yes, people would campaign against the movie saying it depicts child abuse. And yes, if it were done right it would be a classic of its era.

20. bukowskionice

bukowskionice
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Will Christopher Baer's debut novel Kiss Me, Judas instantly comes to mind.

The book takes the urban legend of a kidney thief, and plays it out through a noir filter using the perspective of the man who is minus one internal organ. Baer's writing style is very disjunct and stylish, and would make a fantastic movie in the hands of a director (and a good director of photography) who know that tone, dialog and visual style is every bit as important as any plot line. Sin City was successful because it captured the essence of the source material; I would love to see a similar treatment done to Kiss Me, Judas.