Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Bob's Burgers

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

[​IMG]

Just ran across this tonight, and I'm pissed off.

H. J. Benjamin, the guy that does the voice for Sterling Archer in the totally awesome animated series Archer (due to start it's second season in a couple weeks), is the lead voice for a new Fox animation called Bob's Burgers. It took me about 3 minutes of "wait... I recognize that guy's voice..." before I got it. And now I'm pissed that the awesomeness that is Sterling Archer is ruined by this steaming pile of shit on a bun.

Watched it, and there was nothing to it.

Seriously. Nothing.

I didn't get a thing out of it. It was beyond stupid.

Anyone else see this?

2. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It was painful. Pain. Full. It was a colossal waste of time. There isn't one likable trait to any single character. The dad is a wishy washy loser. The wife is oblivious in a non-funny way. The kids are just the worst traits of the kids in all the other cartoons out today. Even The Cleveland Show is better than this and that one is pretty bad. If they cancel American Dad and keep this on, I'll be pretty pissed. That one at least makes me laugh every now and then.

While the Simpsons is a far cry from where it was 10 years ago, it's worst moments are light years beyond this drivel.

I usually don't get pissed after I've watched something bad as who really cares. It's a tv show. But this one actually bad enough to make me angry.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm sure it will go the way of every single other Fox show that sucks, which is in the dozens now.

This milquetoast show was stultifying. Why do so many people think that boredom counts as comedy? They should change the show's title to Dull. It's the only way to describe it.

And about American Dad and Cleveland Show? Am. Dad has grown on me and now I think it's funny. The Cleveland Show has a long way to go, aside from Tim the Polish bear and his nympho bear wife I hate pretty much every character on that show. Cleveland is now a mean-spirited tool, and Rollo is the most annoying animated character since Scrappy-Doo. HE'S THAT FUCKING ANNOYING.

4. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yea, I watched this because they've been sponsoring Carolla's podcast for a bit now, figured I'd give it a shot as he did kind of vouch for it. It sucked. SUUUUUUCKED. I'm not the artistic type, but I don't doubt for a second that I could write / develop something more funny than that steaming pile of crap.

"Yaaaaaa broooooo let's make a fuckin' cartoon broooooooo."

"What about?"

"Burgers with people in them"

"Whooooaaaaaaaaa good idea, who won't find that funny?"

ANYONE WHO ISN'T STONED OUT OF THEIR MINDS. THAT'S WHO!

I might have chuckled a few times if I was under the influence of anything, but fuck me that was not funny at any point at all.

The characters are impossible for most people to relate to. Unlike shows with unrelatable characters where you envy them, this show has opted to make characters you can't relate to and have no interest in ever relating to. Fuck FOX, step it up, stop cancelling the good stuff to put your bullshit crack-pipe ideas on. I think I laugh more at the ideas presented on FOX News.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Don't insult us (Y'know, us chronics, MAAAAAAAN). I watched it stoned and I remember episodes of Gimmie A Break! that generated ten times the amount of laughs.

6. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just annoyed that Mike Judge's brilliant series "The Goode Family", which had episodes at least as good as anything he ever did in "King of the Hill" or "Beavis and Butthead", received little promotion and was canceled after one season, while this utter garbage, which looked awful even in its trailers made it onto air in a prized time slot, propped by endless commercials.

Also, the creator of the show has made several other animated shows I have seen, like "Dr. Katz" and "Home Movies", and they were all horrible shit, too.

7. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm not insulting us. I'm insulting Fox. They're the idiots that took this shit and ran with it.

And don't act like I'm being unrealistic, there's no way that wasn't how that mindless ball of shit of 22 minutes of TV wasn't made by someone who was in an altered state of mind and finding everything funny. I could see it being funny high, but sober was just a fight to give it a chance.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Agreed. But like KIM said, these assholes have had other shows on the air, which means they got a big, fat green cheque for signing on with their dreck. What is it with Fox and picking out the worst of the worst? They're like that asshole in the bar who could go home with five different girls that want him and instead chooses to waste his time and effort on the cold bitch that won't put out.

One of the greatest comments on Family Guy in the last three seasons (and generated the biggest laugh out of me this year):

#8 Crown Royal, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As with a lot of movies, it's a combination of the two. That is, the crap is the fault of audience as well as the network itself. Yeah, they have had a lot of awful shows, but some of that lame crap is popular and makes money thanks to stupid viewers. (For instance, "Are you Smarter than a 5th-Grader", one of the worst quiz shows ever, was a big hit for Fox)

And conversely, a lot of quality series fail. ("King of the Hill" in its first run on Fox, and while "The Goode Family" aired on ABC, it got canceled, too)

At the same time, the decision to put out "Bob's Burgers" specifically made a certain amount of sense. The reasoning was probably "Hey, the creator has had a lot of successful animated shows that were every bit as awful as this new one! True, they were late night shows on Comedy Central to Cartoon Network, not a prime-time slot on Fox, but we'll take that risk!"

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How did King of The Hill "fail"? It ran for 13 seasons on one network before being syndicated on others. It's the most successful cartoon behind the simpsons as far as seasons on fox. I fucking love the show and to be honest the quality started to slip and it was becoming super repetitive by the time it was canceled. It was put out to pasture at the right time in my mind. Though at the time I was kind of pissed it was pulled in favor of The Cleveland Show.

I think you might be thinking of Futurama that was canceled and picked up by another station. This almost happened with the Goode Family as well. I think it's a good sign of the times that shows that are prematurely canceled can have second lives on other channels. Fuck Family Guy was canceled twice before it came back for good.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hmmm, weird. I watched the show ever since it premiered, and remember it getting its time slot yanked from Sunday to Tuesday and back, and early rumblings about it getting canceled after the second or third season. But checking on Wikipedia, it had consistently strong ratings all the way up until the ninth season. Guess my memory was wrong on that one.

Regardless, it doesn't affect my main point; good shows fail all the time, too.

But sadly, it didn't. *sniff*

Frankly, I wouldn't have minded if it stayed canceled either of those times. I don't think it's bad, but the show barely had enough to hold my interest for an entire episode when I was in my early teens, let alone now. And the jokes sometimes felt amusing, but rarely made one laugh. It was just something yoi watched on television when nothing else was on, back before the glorious era of fast Internet downloads.

I think it's insane that it gets compared to shows like "Futurama", "South Park", or "The Simpsons". It's nowhere near as good as "Archer" or "Metalocalypse".

12. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Dr. Katz was way better than King of the Hill. Yes I know I'm probably in the minority, especially on this board.

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cartoons are infinitely cheaper to produce than live action.

Many characters are voiced by the same person, props and lighting aren't an issue, and animation can be outsourced.

So the ratings don't need to be stellar, as the costs aren't as high. Fox would approve just about any cartoon.

14. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was excited when I saw that H. Jon Benjamin, Kristen Schaal, and Eugene Mirman were doing voices for the show. Then I saw the promos. Maybe there's still hope that the actors can slowly steer it in a better direction.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How would they possibly do that? You know that voice actors, or really any actors for that matter, almost never any input into the writing and creative direction of a show/movie they are in? Especially an animated one?

16. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Almost never doesn't mean never. The Simpsons spring to mind, as does Full Metal Jacket. There are many examples although they are quite rare.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Never mind Seth MacFarlane.

18. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You mean "Full Metal Jacket" the 1986 Stanley Kubrick film? That's interesting, since I have normally read he was a control freak on his sets. Where did you read that?

Also interesting. Regardless, in this case, I don't think the voice actors are going to turn around a work with this many fundamental problems.

19. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Truth be told, I can't remember. What I do remember is that R. Lee Ermey was originally going to an on set advisor to the actor casted as Hartman, but Kubrick scrapped that idea when Ermey told Kubrick that the casted actor wasn't right for the part. He then gave an on set audition and sealed the deal with his performance. He also ad-libbed most of his lines, likely a result of him actually being a drill instructor in the past.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed. It's not often that I have such a strong "this is shit" reaction to a new show within the opening 5 minutes. This was one of those times.

While I did end up watching the rest of the show, I felt like I'd abused myself in some way and needed a shower.

A Silkwood shower.