Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by dubyu tee eff, Sep 17, 2010.

1. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm seriously considering cancelling HBO just to keep Paz de la Huerta off my television. I feel like wheeling my flatscreen outside a la Poltergeist just to keep her out of sight. The actress and character alike are like fingernails across my brain's chalkboard.

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Capone's my favorite character as well. I even bought a biography on him to read up as the show progresses.

Capone contracted Syphilis at an early age, which among other things, caused his his son's deafness and Capone's tendency towards over the top violence. It's a reach, but it's speculated without Syphilis, Capone may not have reached his notoriety in the mob.

3. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm surprised this episode is the one that makes you decide you've had enough. I thought this was one of the best, showing all the build up will, in fact, go somewhere good. The entirety of the Torrio meeting, from their telegraphing the end with the coat check girl through Jimmy polishing the boss off, was great. And I enjoyed the rest of the episode as well. Schroeder is going to get to a point where she at least can't play the useless victim anymore. And to echo a couple of you, Capone (and the actor playing him) is money. I didn't figure Tommy from Snatch would be a good, let alone a good Al Capone, so good shit.

4. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Up until now I was getting HBO free. It's just not thrilling me enough to pay for HBO. I'd rather wait and get the whole season on Netflix if my perusal of this thread seems to indicate it is actually going somewhere, or download it for free. There are sooo many other shows I watch, I can't be bothered waiting episode after episode for something to finally happen. You are right, this last episode was the best of the bunch, and I like the whole Capone and Jimmy thing, but other than that it's starting to feel like Heroes where week after week I would wait, and wait and pray that it would get better and it never did. I JUST CAN'T GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN, MAN!

5. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Those are reasons I can definitely understand. I don't think anyone would prefer to watch a show week to week rather than at their own pace. And it normally takes me most of the way through the week to catch up with the shows on demand. I just think this show has the most potential of anything currently airing. But you're right, it hasn't quite gotten there yet.

6. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of course not, even a nude Angelina Jolie would have a hard time looking good with a pale, pasty, crooked toothed Buscemi behind them with nothing but a wife beater on.

I am surprised though that this episode didn't grab you more, I felt it was the best one so far. The whole Chicago storyline is gripping, things are heating up with the prohibition agent and Rothstien and it looks like we will get a break from Schroder. Honestly I thought this episode foreshadowed some good shit.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good episode, the best one since the first two. The opening scene with the youth assailants was shot excellently, and the happenings in both Chicago and Atlantic City were significant and interesting.

I still find it remarkable that they had Luciano, the big-time New York gangster worth $500k, act as a mere hitman in going after relative small fry Jimmy. Well, at least it afforded us a fleeting moment with the brilliant Rothstein.

The only real problem with the episode was Margaret Schroeder; how she guys from being shy, concerned, naive Irish girl to fearless, verbally confident, and incredibly perceptive, often within minutes, based on what the scene requires.

The "story" she told to Lucy was supposed to make her look strong and sound witty, but it was instead very lame and poorly delivered. (Fault of the actress)

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thought this episode was great. There were some scenes that seemed over directed, the sniper scene and the house burning, but damn if they didn't have some cool visuals. I wonder how much theyll branch off with Jimmy and his recruitment of the half faced man. Honestly one of the better character interactions I think of the show so far...

What Im thinking, is that Luciano backing the hood aka Benny aka Vinny from Doogie Houser, will eventually lead to a turf war with Nucky and Nucky will have to bring Jimmy and some muscle in. Just a thought.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I thought the same thing, its a safe bet that thats where its headed. Im also glad they introduced Meyer Lansky, I was starting to think they werent going to include him at all. And the half faced guy? I thought he looked hilarious. Though its a little puzzling that because Jimmy got him laid, he goes and kills someone for him just like that? They could have done a better job explaining it. Also, how many episodes are we going to have to sit through where Margaret Schroeder has a concerned look on her face when she contemplates Nuckys motivations?

10. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Liam and Jimmy bonded over the fact that they both, in addition to being injured, lost pieces of their humanity in the war. Especially during the discussion of guns, and Jimmy's response of "What do you think I use the for?" or something of the like. Liam finds that he and Jimmy are sort of kindred spirits and furthermore, Jimmy treated him like a person and not a freakshow, so I bet he was more than willing to help out with the coffee shop assassination. Their interaction was one of the highlights of the episode.

Lowlight? Jimmy's baby mama's horrifically sagging tits, they made me sad cause otherwise she is kind of a fox.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Overall, it was a good episode, featuring the first effective scenes with the Margaret Schroeder character, when she initially brushed off Nucky's tale of childhood trauma, and was later ignored herself. Also, that was one of the best uses of JS Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor I've heard that didn't involve vampires!

That being said, the lesbian sex scene featuring the mother of Jimmy's child was just so damn boring and unnecessary. Did it really warrant an entire scene all to itself, and one so dull at that? Not to mention it lessened the impact of the reveal; it would have been better as a later, chance discovery, with some doubt about the circumstances. Moreover, it was kind of stupid, and reeked of just writing something crazy and unexpected for the hell of it. When Van Alden was revealed as a self-flagellate, it was reasonable considering his character. But this? Why not make Eli a BDSM enthusiast while you're at it?

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

BDSM? Interesting, I woulda pegged him for a furry.

13. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best episode in quite some time.

I like the addition of the sniper to the gang in Chicago. I like that Nucky has to reach out to Jimmy for help with muscle. I think it's great that they're digging under the surface of Nucky's character too.

Looking forward to some more action in the coming episodes.

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed, it took me a second to recall who she was. Was her partner a previously introduced character? It's just following the HBO formula, a side story for every character no matter how big or small.

She also mentioned she thought Jimmy would be sending money, didn't we see him stuffing an envelope?

I always complain about the score, can't complain about (what KImaster said) accompanying the scene of him packing up the rifle. Absolutely fucking awesome, what a great villain that character will be if they keep him around.

It's about time for a Rothstien vs. Nucky clash, something has to break soon.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm fairly certain the lover is the wife of the Atlantic City photographer that Jimmy suspected his woman was cheating with.

Wow, good catch. Yeah, I think it was Episode 5.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just finished this episode. Overall I feel like BE has been a solid show. My opinion could be also influenced by the fact the each episode magically finds its way to my computer and onto my PS3, but coming off watching The Wire, it's solid. I'd give it a B+ week to week so far.

This episode was strong. I don't feel like the Jimmy's baby momma being a les was that huge of a reveal, I think it was the shot coming around like "Oh here is a reveal coming up..."

Last week's episode upset me because it broke my "After a monologue, someone is going to die rule" but this week, they put it comfortably back in place. Harrow has to be the second coolest character on the show after Capone filled out last week. Harrow revealed a character flaw on how Jimmy is so willing to connect with people even though he just told him that people like to think they have a connection, but they don't. Harrow's guttural noises reminded me of Slingblade, which added more awesomeness to the character.

And yes, I think if some guy brought you your first piece of ass, and you owned a sniper rifle, you'd go and use it. "They ask you if you've made love to a woman."

If BE can add in more of the Mad Men cerebral, pensive stuff, and keep the action this show would kick up to an A week to week. I'd say a 35/65 split would be good. They can't go all MM on us in the middle of the season.

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was brilliant having Van Alden send the cash to Jimmy's girl. They made you 100% think he would keep it, what conviction in that character. I hope to see him get an Emmy nod.

It's about time for the war, bring it on. Now you know why Vinnie from Doogie Howser is in the show, they can't kill Lucky or Rothstein but Vinny? They can kill him.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He made it through The Sopranos, though he did catch some heavy beatings.

19. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Overall, a good episode, and that was a nice touch with Warren G. Harding; he DID in fact father an illegitimate child, although it's a relatively ignored piece of history.

I have a problem with Margaret idiotically answering the phone in Nucky's office, a moronic mistake even a child wouldn't a make, and Nucky brainlessly telling Margaret to stash his records, when he knows that how against alcohol she is.

I feel that Buscemi is absolutely carrying this show; he is simply incredible. And the actor portraying Eli is impressing me more and more with each new episode.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought her discovering his alcohol business was kind of weak myself. Like you've pointed out before she seems to be as smart or logical as the scene require. She's seen him at lavish parties dripping with champagne, she's narked on his business associates unloading beer just to get his attention, and yet she seems shocked he's dealing it? Come on. Also, who the fuck keeps a ledger of their illegal business dealings without even so much as trying to make it coded? "1500 bottles whiskey," wonder what the fuck that entry means?!?!?!!!!