Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by dubyu tee eff, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Currently learning that our current definition of Jazz isn't their definition of Jazz. Basically their definition of Jazz back in the 1920s, was basically the "new shit" that was classical stuff. So anything with "flair" or "flavor" to it was Jazz. Basically, look into the movie the Jazz Singer, that's what they meant by Jazz.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

For the sake of getting the thread back on track, what did you guys think of last nights episode? It wasnt bad, but every preview makes it seem like something big is going to happen and nothing ever does. But besides that, the show and the characters are starting to grow on me. I was disappointed up until this point because I was expecting something like the Sopranos, which isnt what it is. Letting that go, Im starting to really enjoy it. Quick question,

Why did that girl kill herself? Of course she has that massive wound down the front of her face, but it didnt seem like it was coming. My guess would be because Torrio was going to throw her out?

3. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would agree. I enjoyed last night's episode more than the few that preceded it. I was surprised at some of the twists, particularly at the end. I didn't see that coming this episode after she did what she did. I like where they took everyone. I think Van Allen is more of a ruthless prick that some of the gangsters. And what is up with Jimmy's mom. I have no idea what that character is about or where it's going. The shit she does makes no sense.

IWSJ: You are right in your suspicions, but I think she also did it because:
    she was a young girl who prided herself on her looks. Didn't you see the long jagged scar when she came down the stairs all drugged up wanting to "work"? I think in the previous episode she said she wanted to go to California to be in the movies. That's not gonna happen now.

4. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I make it a point to avoid the previews for the next episode. Not because I don't want to see potential spoilers, but rather because previews are designed to make you think that more is going to happen than actually will. They're 30 second to 1 minute of ADD-riddled madness designed to hype the shit out of you, and that simply doesn't work for a show like this, which is clearly more methodical about its story telling.

As for the spoiler:

There are a few reasons. First, she was high as fuck. Second, she left her room, complete with massive scar down her face, and I'm sure she could see the looks of the people in the room when she came in. Everything stopped, and everyone looked at her like she was a freak. She isn't a dumb character, so she clearly knew that. Then, as they're walking away, they started laughing and she turned to Jimmy and said "what are they laughing at?" Jimmy just told her someone told a joke, but she HAD to at least think they were laughing at her. After that, she likely realized that the huge facial scar wasn't something she was going to recover from, her dreams of being in films were over, so she just blew her own brains out. I think it was something that she'd been thinking about, but walking down stairs and seeing the looks on everyone's faces when they saw her just cemented it in her mind. Her being high at the time just gave her the confidence to actually do it.

I'm finally starting to not hate the Margaret Schroeder character as much. She seems like she's had more to do in the last two episodes besides "look melancholy." Her whole arc in the episode was pretty good, and it was the first time I wasn't wanting to see them get rid of her.

As for Jimmy's mother, I've got a few theories. First is that she got knocked up so early with Jimmy that she didn't get a chance to do a lot of the stuff she wanted to do (i.e. sleep around, which she was clearly doing or she wouldn't have gotten knocked up so early in life), so now she's been making up for lost time in terms of her relationships with men. When it came to offering to take care of Jimmy's kid while Jimmy's wife went off on her own, I think that was more the result of her thinking that she fucked up raising Jimmy (who left his wife and kid, again), and wanting to get a second chance at raising a kid and doing it properly.

Then again, she may just be batshit crazy, that is also a possibility.

5. Nax

Nax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

After all that James was telling her a romantic story and she asked him to kiss her. He first did the cheek kiss, she went for the full kiss and he pulled away from her. She realized that she was no longer attractive in his eyes and lost hope.

6. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was 100% positive that she was going to be dead by the time Jimmy came back to the room. I didn't think it would be a gunshot to her own face, but I knew it would be something. I guess that can be contributed to the actress, the way she wanted to hear a happy story first, then cried, and wanted Jimmy to leave the room and go clean himself up. Just seemed like grade A foreshadowing to me. Great job by her.

For the rest of the episode, I liked it. I laughed my ass off when Eli took the wild swing at Nucky and missed completely. I'm happy that Nucky and Margaret finally progressed to something, because that relationship was too weird to be platonic for the whole season. I didn't see the preview for next week but I'm looking forward to it.

7. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I took it as a combination of this and wanting to give Jimmy's wife the opportunities in life that she missed out on herself. With the assumption that Jimmy isn't coming back, his wife would have been left in the same position as she was with no husband and taking care of a kid all on her own.

She does seem a little nuts though.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well every show has its thing. Boardwalk Empire's thing is obviously "Epic monologue, then someone is going to die or did die." It's happened every time. Van Allen is off his rocker. You gotta love that character. Straight edge about some things, but of course crooked and fucking weird in his own ways. I thought she was going to knock that bottle of laudanum out. Also, isn't laudanum just sound fucking weird to say? Deadwood featured it too and it never sits well with me.

I think all of the above are right about Jimmy's mom. I think she wants the wife to go and live her life, since she also probably knows she was fucking someone else.

Oh Margaret...after she snapped I just pictured Omar/Chalky White saying "You shoulda ate that soda bread, you best think on it." I guess they didn't have cliches about women, and scorn, and hell or some shit like that. And well, you know after he stopped by...he ate her soda bread.

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was surprised that he went over and banged the widow, I thought he was going to smack her. I guess he realized he should have eaten the bread and not underestimated her.

How about that sad punch Eli threw at Nucky? Hilarious.

It's so cool to hear them talk about possibly putting Civil War vets to sleep, they really do an excellent job with the setting on the show.

Does anyone know what Eli was getting at? How was that going to help him get re-elected? By appealing to the Irish pride and insulting the English?

I have actually taken a Dale Carnagie sales course you see him name in many sales seminars and books.

10. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where was Luciano last episode?

Did he disappear in Jimmy's mom's vadge?

11. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This last episode restored my hope for this series. I have to say the music in this episode was incredible and lifted the rest of it to a whole new level.

The ending song - "Carrickfergus" by Loudon Wainwright III

#91 Dead Parrot, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Overall, a fun episode, although it's below the level of the first two. Buscemi is really carrying this series; he plays the hell out of Nucky Thompson, including his arrogant personality, fake outward mask, and occasional carelessness. Also love the actor who plays Eli; he has been tremendous as well. The scene with the St. Patrick's Day speech was very good.

Still not liking Margaret Schroeder, her acting, or the absurd dichotomy of her confidently verbally outwitting a Senator at a major party last episode while being meek and tripping over her words in a more private setting. Or that she makes sharp decisions and inferences, and then acts like a naive idiot in a similar situation, based on what the script requires.

Luciano is MIA, although they will probably cobble together some reason next week.

One other slightly annoying thing is that the knife slash Pearl received in the last episode was horizontal, above the eyebrows. In this episode, it's a very unusual diagonal pattern running downwards, along the bridge of the nose, ending at the left cheek.

The ending was fairly solid. Guess it's natural for Jimmy to develop a drug addiction since the actor who plays him appears perpetually high or stoned as it is.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Hes balls deep into Jimmys mom, I dont know how much cobbling theyll have to do. And I really hope they dont have a sex scene with Margaret Schroder and Nucky this week. If she fucks like she acts, Nucky is going to be pretty bummed out.

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The slash started above her right eyebrow and the dude just kind of drew it down across her face. When she was unbandaged, it started in the right place, went down in the right places, and came back under her chin, like it would when he pulled his hand back.]

The scar was correct. Watch it again.

15. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started thinking tonight's episode was going to drag on until Jimmy pulled out his piece and took out everyone in the lobby.

Capone and Jimmy's friendship is getting more complicated. Obviously they're going to turn against each other. Probably before the end of the season.

For a supposed hard-ass, Luciano sure puts up with a lot of shit. Maybe he'll take a minute off from fucking Jimmy's mom and actually conduct some business by taking out Jimmy or Nucky.

Schroeder felt like a princess living a fairy tale until her fellow neighbor helped her realize she's now a whore. Good for her.

16. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That last scene was delightfully disgusting.

I mean, she's only 16.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The episode was the best so far, atleast something happened. Capone is definitely my favorite character and after last night I dont hate Margaret Schroeder anymore.

Yeah, Luciano is kind of a bitch. I was expecting him to be more of a cold blooded gangster, not a MILF Hunter. Who knows, it will probably be a slow build with this guy. The whole Kessler thing was very bizarre. At first I thought he was punishing himself for coveting another woman because hes super religious, but I remembered he tipped over his wife's picture. The masochistic thing is kind of a weird addition to the show, but hey, why not?

All in all, a good episode.

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I couldn't agree with this more. The end scene were we supposed to think "Wow, now she really feel's like a prostitute. Also a man of Nucky's stature canceling at the last second because of business does not seem that far fetched.

She moved into the suite knowing she was a "kept" women but it just dawned on her the extent of it because their are other mistresses living in the residence?

I guess they have to keep her constantly conflicted because she is going to end up in some sort of love triangle with Nucky and the agent.

Truthfully she is better off with a crooked treasurer then a freak who beats himself with a belt.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only thing I find off putting about the music is that they tie is a lot less to the drama and tension on the screen than other serious drama shows. Not that having upbeat jazzy music is always bad but it doesn't seem to mesh well when the scenes are setting up serious shit. Schroeder finally stands up to the brunette bimbo and quits her job and then bam! The Entertainer starts blaring. Cool, establish the fact that it's set in the roaring twenties, but for god sake be smart about with the score.

I hope this show turns out like Mad Men because this season is moving about as fast and could build into some really good action by next season. Van Alden whipping himself was the creepiest shit Ive seen on TV in quite a while.

20. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the show that was renewed for a second season after the first episode? Really? I've officially tuned out at this point. I can't stand the Margaret Schroeder character. I don't find her sympathetic at all and her love scenes with Steve Buscemi just don't work, for me at least. The best part about the show is Jimmy and his relationship with Capone, which leads me to one of the few things that I liked about last nights episode - how they humanized Capone. In every portrayal I've ever seen of the "character" Al Capone, he comes off as aloof and crazy to almost a comical degree. Seeing Capone humanized by crying over his son being deaf, and trying to actually make a friend in life was cool. I think the actor playing him is doing a great job.

I've been getting HBO for free for the last few months and that stops in a week. They had until now to grab me. I called today and canceled HBO, so, like Kramer in The Contest, he said slapping his money down, I'm out.