Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Flat_Rate, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Season premiere tonight and while I still like the show it seems to get more disjointed as it goes along, more characters and less screen time for the guys you actually want to see (Van Alden and Capone) especially.

It's a shame really because this show could be great, putting up with a lot of characters is one thing (Game of Thrones) but this is getting out of hand.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought last night was a good season starter. Easily one of the more violent shows on TV. I always love when Harrow goes on a show-long killing spree. He is one ruthless bastard.

And that girl that Nucky was fucking had some cute tits.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really? I thought the opposite.

There are way too many characters, but I love the increasing number of absolute psychopaths. That new FBI agent is a cold blooded motherfucker.

Really looking forward to Ron Livingston and, especially, Jeffrey Wright's contributions this season

4. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Boardwalk Empire Season 4

I could be wrong but that new agent might be J Edgar, I know he is in this season but I can't remember offhand who plays him.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Boardwalk Empire Season 4

I was waiting for the episode to end sooo bad so that I could log my disgust with the new agents boring puss ass ness but BOOM fucked dude up and is a cold hearted mother fucker. I wondered afterward if he was supposed to be a historical figure, if it is Hoover than my mind is blown.

Until that scene my only other thought that kept me over joyed was Mrs Sourpussface NOT being seen anywhere. I hope they cut her out for good but Im sure she'll turn up. Strike that, the other thing that had my crack a smile was Jimmys mom having to turn to low class hooking to support a drug habit. Good fuck her. Harrow fucking shit up was cool too. I agree though they are stretching shit thin with 80 characters.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What new characters did they really introduce besides the FBI guy and Ron Livingstons character? Capones brothers don't really count, they're ancillary as are Nucky's lackys that he has hangin around.

And I'll second on no Sourpussface. What a breath of fresh air.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From the previews theres a few more yet to be seen. I wasn't too hot on giving Chalkies' lackey more meat. It may flesh out and be alright but I never thought his character was that interesting to begin with.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did like the Broadway wannabe's bitches new tits. Season premieres always seem too thin as they have to check-in on everyone, I doubt they'll keep having everyone in each episode.

One of Capone's brother's isn't just anyone that's Dom from Entourage/Herc from the Wire. He's an HBO Vet, he'll do something interesting.

Also, y'all some racists. I can never get enough of Dunn Punsley. His first intro episode was fucking awesome. That character has legs. This part was hard to watch, but that scene with him burying the body was hilarious.

And the one bitch I can't stand, who can't possibly have anything to do with the larger story is Gillian Darmody. I want her gone. I cringe everytime she's on the screen. She's wonderfully acted, but incestuous mom turned crackhead is rough.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That scene with the sexual situation turned near decapitation was very uncomfortable but I think that was the point. I don't disagree with the outcome though.

I hope Gillian OD's by mid season. I can't stand her.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just saw a clip from a later episode on YouTube. I seriously can't wait to watch the Van Alden plotline. He seems to shamelessly go to the dark side even more than last season.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that was interesting. Black dude seems super calculating.

If you guys haven't watched it Ken Burns Prohibition is on netflix now. It covers a whole lot of side characters and has some great back story on the whole situation. The assistant attorney chick that we saw quite via newspaper was a character based on a real woman in the 20's. It might contain spoilers I guess but interesting none the less.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure if I like the fact that I have no idea where this season is going after 3 episodes. I don't know Richard's real trajectory, I don't know Nucky's next evolution, I hate Gillian, not enjoying Eli's son getting into the mix, and definitely think The Doctor is an awesome character. He is making some fucking moves. His wiping of his hand after shaking Rothstein's was hilarious.

13. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You just like him cause he's a black racist.

Also, Ron Livingston's affected accent is terrible. His character could be interesting, but he's halfway to uttering "why I oughta" and shaking his fist.

Also, Mickey Doyle's character has really subtly evolved. He's still a lackey of sorts, but nowhere near as annoying and his scene with Eli's son was entertaining.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, Im not into this season. Like Parker said, no idea where it's going. At least last season they set up Gyp Rosetti at the beginning, this doctor guy just isn't doing it for me. I'll keep watching because hey, Breaking Bad ends next week and I'll need something to fill the void until Walking Dead and American Horror Story come back. Even Walking Dead probably won't be that great considering where they left off.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ron Livingston reminded me of a bad Foghorn Leghorn.

I actually didn't finish my phrase, I don't know if I like it or don't like it. If they establish things too early, it becomes predictable, but they have to start showing connections between all these characters sooner than later.

I'm taking bets that Gillian doesn't make it to the end of the season. Either she dies, or she gets moved off the show.

I do love the doctor though, he's so goddamn unsettling. Once again based on a real dude so there is meat there to play off of. Grantland (yeah, I know, fuckoff) has a podcast with the actor who plays him and the actors excitement about the character development and where he's going is contagious.

And I love the fact he's setting up Dunn Punsley who if you forget didn't get along with Chalky at first, but fell into line because there was no other option. Now we get to have him rise up and become a player.

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's kind of talking like Jimmy Stewart too, which is weird.

Jeffrey Wright is really underrated and kills everything he is in. A couple different bloggers/writers were excited about his casting, so I have hope for his character who is terrifying in a way. I think his character has WAY more depth and potential than Rosetti who, while entertaining, was just a loose cannon who you knew was going to get done in at some point.

The 2nd episode, where Chalky was railing at him and called him Jamaican and he replied, almost in a sing song voice "I am from Trinidad" was hilarious but his overwhelming calm was creepy. He's a hell of a character.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I thought this last episode was boring and pointless as fuck. I really hope they don't spread shit too thin.

Things I couldn't give a shit less about in the episode:

-Nucky's brother's son's college storyline. I swear if they pull yet another cliched "this is never what your father wanted for you" storyline because he wants in on the family biz, this show will lose credit in my eyes.

-Harrow's sister's courters. Though I think Harrow and his sister's relationship is one of the highlights so far this season.

-Jimmy's mom playing wife with Ron Livingston to appease Christian grocery store magnates.

-Some Florida based loser who killed a hick wannabe bootlegger. Was I honestly supposed to care about the guy he macheted or how it could effect Nucky? I mean Nucky just moves on to the next supplier. Who gives a shit? Did I miss something?

While I found the bar owner lady decently engaging, is Nucky going to be spending half the season in Tampa (a hotbed of excitement to this day) with her and dealing with his new connections? How many locales can this show throw in? I agree the Trinidad Doctor is the best of the new characters, I want to see where his story goes. But no Capone, no Van Alden, nothing from creepy Volstead Act agent guy, plus they've completely cut out Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lanskey. Something has got to give.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with all of the above. I don't think they can cram everyone into every episode and they shouldn't. Some critic made a comment in some blog that the focus is barely on the Boardwalk itself anymore. It's Chicago, Tampa, wherever the fuck Richard was rolling around, and Eli's kids college. He's right, and its silly. But they should focus on the key characters and keep it moving.

Also, let's say you went to go hire a WWI veteran that was REALLY good at killing folks. And let's say you paid him half of the money to kill a bunch of people, and he killed everyone but one, and no one traced him back to you. Would you REALLY go to his stomping grounds and try to fuck with him? I sure as fuck wouldn't. I'd consider it a discount and move the fuck on.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No shit maybe the guy hadn't heard of the bordello massacre or something. Not someone I'd got to do 90% of the dirty work I wanted for half the fucking asking price.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The show might be turning a corner with the last episode. I was ready to give up on it, but it seems like it might be going somewhere now.