Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think Van Alden was under used because Michael Shannon has been asked left and right to star in movies lately. I won't be surprised if they find a way to write him out of the show soon.

Watch Richard's slaughter again, but play the music score from Terminator 2 in the background. Much more effective.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Agreed. The delivery and blood splatter on his face was a little Tarantino-esque, but I think it was deliberately over the top so the fans would stop clammering for it. Still awesome though, I hope this isn't his character's high point. I like that they didn't give him a happily ever after ending after he dropped Tommy off.

As for Crown's point on Van Alden, sadly I agree. With him in the Richard Kulkinski movie and (I think) General Zod in Superman, this guy will probably be written out, unfortunately.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think they'll right Van Alden out. The guy is too fucking good. They're going to let him get his movie nut, and move on from there.

Yes, everyone wanted Harrow to do what he did. He handed the kid over and left the girl because I think Gillian's words about him awnting something he can't have sunk in. He does what he does, and he does it so efficiently, that this girl would just be fucking with him. I LOVED her dad's talk to him at the door, not sure if he was talking to his "son" or what. Over directed and over the top? Fuck that. It was perfect. I wanted him to pull a matrix move even. Leaving the blood on his face was perfectly in character, he's pretty focused on current objectives. We forget who he is, they just didn't give everyone sniper training. He is the best killer on the show.

Also can we get a round of applause this season for the new character of Gaston Means played by Stephen Root. He is fucking nailing that character. And holy shit he looks quite like the guy. His speech (in general) is wonderful to listen to, just hearing that guy talk is interesting.

Holy shit, George Pelacanos will be writing for Season 4. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry but I just disagree. IF it was super stylized like a Tarantino film it might make sense. Turning a gun fight into The Rock on a show known for the slow burn just seemed way out of place, particularly because it's a show about the roaring twenties. Out of place historical context and over directed action has led to a shit ton of forgettable dreck the past decade or so. For my money I'd like to see some subtlety used in my mass murderin' No Country For Old Men SHOULD be the wildly imitated style in a lot of these situations.

One scene they did kill was Gyp and psycho Mom's kink scene. I tell you Im not into that shit really in the slightest but the scene was tense and well executed.

I agree I loved Steve Root, but I always have. The dude is insanely multi talented as an actor.