Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What a whacked out episode. The scene with Margaret experiencing Nucky's business for the first time was well done. The look she gave genuinely required her concerned sourpuss face, and she delivered. I was surprised Rothstein bailed out on Nucky since he was almost deliberately killed in the last as well.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I too did not see Rothstein taking the stance he did. I guess he might not have known they were trying to get him as well. Sourpuss' story at least has some solid layers. Not something Im really that much more excited about but not the complete waste it has been. It also gives Slater something more, outside of his thing for her, he really hasn't had too much since he stopped killing people on the low for the IRA.

This episode felt like the classic Sopranos' where Tony got sick and spent the entire episode hallucinating and figuring out Pussy was narcing on him (or the one where he got sick and fantasized about the hot Italian chick). Something HBO could only do until AMC started pumping out the quality story telling.

3. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ugh. Great, half of the (2) characters I watch this show for are dead. Kill the faceless sniper, and I'm done. Looks like the next two episodes are going to be some glorious little bloodbaths, though.

Anyone know how, exactly, the Heroin Twins knew when and where Owen was going to make a run at Rosetti? I hope those two die terribly.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You must not know your history on those two.... They might have had good informants or Nucky was double crossed by the guy he sent to deal with Gyp. I am hoping somehow Nucky fills his muscle void with Sniper guy.

At least we still have Van Alden and Capone but they are really regulated to the background since their stories revolve around Chicago and not Atlantic City.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah as much as I would like see Nucky have a Chalky-Capone army at his disposal, the show has to be careful not to trample over history too much. Knowing a good deal of how these events went down before this show, there's really one way to take down Masseria anyway. As far as Gyp Rosetti, they can do whatever they want.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I take it back. Awesome episode. Shit is gonna get real.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah talk about foresight with a wrong guess. This was a great episode. For the love of god I really hope the Sniper doesn't off himself. They certainly seemed to be setting it up that way in that last scene of his, or he'll go out on a murderous bloodbath saving Jimmy's son. I had a sense that he realized Jimmy's mom has totally lost it and is a completely delusional bitch when she asked him to leave. On one hand I think he might have it in him to kill her for the sake of the kid and Jimmy's tarnished memory. On the other hand it'd really be wasting the whole struggle she's had with the whore house and the new added layer of Gyp lording over her if they did end up killing her off.

So then ended up giving Kessler his time to shine in the show. Bravo. I have long said I didn't enjoy his one note-ness in the show. They did a decent job this episode giving him a little back story and Nucky's ties with him. Also, for a very ghost like season for Chalky he came back with some zeal this episode.

Yeah, I got that tingle down my spine when Capone walked up and promised a deal and a talk about who should die. Dear friggin lord. The show's dynamic just got turned on its head.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And that is why Capone is my favorite character on the show. I practically squealed at that last line and scene. And I think Harrow is fixin' to kill some people.

9. iamduffy

iamduffy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm thinking harrow might deal with Gyp, so jimmy's mom wont have anyway to stop him from taking the kid. He's unassuming enough to get close without scrutiny.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just powered through the last 3 episodes. I've never been so excited for a season finale (I need to watch Homeland I know) I cannot fucking wait. I wish I waited until next week and powered through all 4 episodes.

On Kessler, I think they've kept him one note as a reflection of Nucky's biggest weakness, not caring about the personal lives of people. This guy is ride or die for Nucky and he didn't/doesn't fucking know if he has a family.

KK, you're JUST getting a sense that J/Gillian is completely delusional? Bitch fucked her own son, then fucked and killed a guy that looked like her son. She's BEEN off her rocker since the middle of season one. She's one of the creepiest characters on TV that hasn't threatened someone's life. Also wasn't she the one secretly trying to poison the commodore and blamed it on the maid or did the maid actually do it? I have to agree with you on Chalky though, Omar has been in and out, but good lord has he and his right had man (who is fucking great by the way) brought it these last two episodes.

Harrow, I love everything about his storyline. Every little bit. The girl who finally touched his penis, him pulling out 5 handguns, 1 shotgun, 1 sniper rifle and the inevitable scene with him just going fucking Matrix on Gyp's men.

Capone has to be one of the most underrated characters of all time. The whole thing with his son, on top of him taking over for Torrio who just up and retired, is just fucking great. I do miss his interactions with Jimmy though. Capone, Chalky and Nucky are going to make an excellent team. Can't wait to see how this goes down.

Did I mention how I can't wait for the next season? Holy shit. This is a killer write-up by the way.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm pretty excited to see how a showdown between Capone and Rosetti will go. I doubt Capone is more than marginally aware of Rosetti or what's been happening prior to this, who knows if Torrio has filled him in.

Rosetti is a definite bully in the truest sense of the word. Capone despises bullies, evident when he beat the guy to death in the bar for fucking up his friend, the scene with his son, etc. Id like to see Capone fuck him up even more than Richard, Nucky, or Chalky.

And yeah, I have a feeling something terrible is going to happen to Eli's kid.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No I know she's fucking batshit I said he just came to the conclusion she is way to far gone or that look he had was that that was the last straw (I think he killed it in that final scene in the whorehouse). She was really his only connection left after Jimmy and his wife were killed. She took him in, but turned into a manipulative bitch and he knows she's not worth caring for.

Yeah, if it weren't for Alby Grant from Big Love who somehow came off creepier with less obvious incest, she might be the creepiest character ever.

13. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember his right hand man now is Dunn Purnsley, the guy who fucked with Chalky in jail and who Chalky had his goons beat the living fuck out of in the jail cell.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot Dunn's name. I just remember the scene and how it all went down. It is a little shitty they gave him such an epic introduction then he faded off. Boardwalk Empire could use another episode or two a season. There hasn't been much filler going on this season, just a lot of jumping around which is different. So many pieces to move on the chess board. I'm thinking the Lucky stuff will play into next season, they tend to do that on this show.

I don't think anything will happen to Eli's kid (this season), they just needed him there to open the farm. Pretty sure he's staying out the action from here on out. I want two things to happen. Chalky/Capone to be fully badass, tied in with Gyp going down in a blaze of glory. Gillian die. I want her to die so badly. I want her to get hatefucked to death, or shot by Harrow. I wonder if he's just going to walk out guns akimbo and blazing. They wouldn't just let him walk out like a one man army peacefully. She's so ewwwww. Apparently Gretchen Mol is psycho in real life so it all translates through.

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty sure I've read stories of her banging producers to try to get her husband directing gigs. And her fucking child is named Ptolemy, how much more evidence do you need of insanity.

I really love the show's portrayal of Capone, especially Stephen Graham. Previous portrayals of him, think Capone in The Untouchables, has made him sinister and menacing. What made him so terrifying, and what Boardwalk does great, is show his fun loving and normal side, highlighted by his explosive temper and complete nonchalance about wanton violence. It's awesome. His final line was one of the best in the show so far.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Pretty good finale. Everyone delivered the way we wanted them too. Capone was brutal and Face went on an awesome rampage. I wish Rosetti went down in a more dramatic way, but whatever. A few plot points that didn't make sense to me though:

-Why did Face (Richard Harrow) walk away? Where did he go?
    -Why did Rosetti's guy turn on him? Did Nucky have some sort of deus ex machina leverage over him? Theoretically, he could have just gone to the beach, told them where Nucky and Eli were, and been done with it.
    -Nucky using Overholt to screw over Rothstein and use him for Masseria was pretty clever, but it seems much more Machiavellian than Nucky usually is.

17. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't forget that Rosetti brutally killed his cousin right in front of him. He was gonna drown him in the ocean but he instead beat him to death with a shovel. I think that would be enough for me to want to take a guy out when I had the chance. Also, he saw the writing on the wall. Rosetti had two guys left. He had no support left anywhere. It was time to abandon the sinking ship.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I guess it could have been part of the truce with Masseria, although Im sure Capone and Chalky ambushing all of his retreating guys wasn't.

19. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are some answers here in this interview with Terence Winter.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to complain too much about something awesome but I thought Harrow's whole massacre was just a tad far over the top. I think it's was just over directed and a little too Michael Bay for such a cool show. Still I mean you KNEW it was coming. The opening montage was also kind of hokey in the same way.

I was also kind of hoping Rosetti made it and came back for another day. Truly unpredictable, for half a second I thought he was about to kill the guy that ended up killing him right before he turned around to piss. I also thought/hoped Sourpuss face bled out ending her If These Walls Could Talk storyline in semi ironic fashion.

Going on from here I don't see how they could have Capone in it more without him getting much closer with Van Alden (who was criminally under used this year). He's just too far away for them not to jump around too much like this season. Nucky obviously has Rothstein to deal with since he'll deduce the set up pretty quick. I think he'll end up partnering with Lucky and Meyer to help out.