Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe they've learned not to fuck around with solid shows that have solid audiences. Game of Thrones too was renewed each season after the first few episodes did gangbusters. Maybe it's just a marketing ploy.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Autoerotic asphyxiation + massacre + top-down view of a cock = enough TV for one week.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I thought it was a nod to Taxi Driver with the overhead tracking shot. But with a whole lot more cock. They somehow crammed a whole lot forgettable crap in between some serious fuckin B'ness. Mrs. Sourpussface is far and away the most useless character with the biggest who gives a flying fuck story line in the history of TV.

4. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why the writers continue to pursue this story line when they have so many other characters that would be entirely more fun to watch is beyond me.

I fast forward through pretty much any scene with her in it.

5. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Totally agree on her...however that scene in the dress shop was just fantastic. Cringe inducing, really loved how that was played.

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I personally loved the final scene with the actor and Billie. He's always been kind of weird and flitty, but they kind of fleshed out his character in this episode. To see him get pissed and breakdown when Chalky held him over the coals was interesting. And that last line was awesome...

"Lucy Danziger, ever heard of her? The next one won't know a damn thing about you either"

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How he laid it out to her in the bedroom was great and about the only thing with substance that has tied her to anyone on the show this entire season. She can't leave Nucky or she'd be out on her fucking ass, as poor, or poorer than before. Now she's got this hospital thing that would also be gone in a puff of smoke is she left as well.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else weirded out and disappointed they decided to go child fucker odd with Jimmy's mom? I don't see it as ever being a particularly strong storyline and it's just weird. At least we got to see her tits. Could have also called Mrs SourpussFace's hooking up with the Irish muscle from a mile off. I wonder if they'll still go through with her boning the doctor...?

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was disappointed by the entire episode, season 1 was great, 2 was slow in some cases but still a good show. Now it's about Nuckys wet irish blanket and her kids, and other non interesting story lines. (who gives a fuck about prenatal care in the 20's?)

Get back to the gangsters, boot legging and way more AR.

Also Jimmy's mom is a seriously twisted lady, I think I'll call you James.

10. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get annoyed with the sexual tension between Slater and Mrs Sourpuss. Unless he's super turned on by the idea of banging his boss' wife, which they've never revealed either way, its just dumb. She's whiny and self-righteous and he has every attractive women in down willing to get down, and he chooses her? Fucking dumb. He's one of my favorite characters and wasting his time with her is fucking retarded.

I hope they are building to some sort of gang war between Gyp and Rothstein or Nucky after he figures out who came to kill him. That would make up for all this hospital bullshit.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I have to hold on to the belief that they're going to use her for something.

Maybe she gets Slater killed? Maybe she prevents Slater from taking Kelly to the Bayside prom? Errr.... wait a minute...

But anyway, I think to Breaking Bad when everyone hated Skyler White as a worthless character, but now she's integral. Here's hoping that's the case.

12. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, this is actually interesting to me, because it's showing character development and the reasoning behind a lot of her current actions.

After her child got polio, she went from being this lapsed Catholic to being hand-in-hand with the church, to the point that she was signing over assets and basically being a civilian nun. She was dogmatic in her devotion, praying constantly, and being Chief Buzzkill to everyone around her (when, before, she was warm and friendly and a lot more laid back). She reinforced the "returning to your roots" arc with the visit to her relatives in New York around the same time she was returning to her early Catholic roots, and the lack of reception and love from her family mimicked the lack of (perceived) reception/love she felt from God when her child fell ill.

But now, I think she's beginning to feel like she's "atoned" for whatever "bad things" she's done. Her children are fine. Her marriage, while mildly antagonistic, is stable (when, before, as a mere mistress, she could've been dropped at any second with no recourse). She's been accepted as an integral part of church outreach efforts at the hospital. She has a place. And because her dogged devotion was never intrinsic--only motivated by a deep personal tragedy--she's lapsing back into her former self. Marveling at the aeroplane lady--celebrating personal feats over submissive devotion. Going against the wishes of the Catholic Church and creating resources for women who are in the position she was in before she met Nucky--philanthropy, but with a modern and slightly self-serving twist. Banging the hot Slater dude--grasping at a handsome bit of home and grabbing a bit of sexual pleasure for herself.

She's unwinding. I like where this is going, but as with all people who turn to church after a tragedy...she'll snap back into Captain Buzzkill pants if anything terrible happens to her kids again. Hope that doesn't happen.

Sidenote: Also, the prenatal care thing is fascinating to me. Boardwalk Empire does a decent job of balancing shit I find engrossing (depictions of Catholic pushback at several levels to dissemination of prenatal care to women during the 20's, Gyp's cock and fabulous fetish) with stuff I really couldn't give a shit about (the entire heroin storyline, Nucky's new girlfriend's profession). That's why it's a great show...because there's something to interest everyone.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

Now I don't need constant gangster action and this show has always been a slow burn. Mrs Sourpussface is almost a totally lifeless character how the actress is playing it. She could make fucking Gyp with a bullwhip around their necks with a vaudeville singer dictating the action, BORING.

Also, in the heroin storyline if you hadn't caught it, they are introducing Benny, who'd become the infamous Benny "Bugsy" Siegel.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So long Billy Kent I guess. I was kinda digging her character too. Oh well, it's a good set up.

Van Alden hulking out was awesome.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah Van Aldens shit is all fucked up. I don't know what to think of his norwigger wife being all crazy.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know exactly what to think. She is the shit. She is a down ass bitch. No bullshit, no crying. "Husband need help with body? I do that. Husband need help with making booze? I used to do that as a little girl." Best female character on the show. I'm definitely going to miss Billy, but she was getting too good, too real for them to keep that. I had a feeling it was coming, but I didn't know they'd blow up the entire fucking supper club. The logistics are insane, how did they set the whole place to blow without anyone telling Nucky?

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He was busy getting his winkie waxed by Billy. And since she's a mistress, the only person that even knows where he would be is Rothstein, and he got his shit wrecked too.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean Gyp could have just lugged in liquor or food crated loaded with dynamite. I don't think Billy had quite come full circle enough for me to enjoy her completely. She was a good addition though for what she did. Now I could see Nucky trying to patch things over with his wife only to realize she's emotionally unavailable to him now.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that entire place is basically in Nucky's pocket is what I'm saying. Remember all those fucking parties he's thrown there? That place is basically his. I'm surprised no one caught on or saw anything. I'm just saying that explosion is just a little bigger than it should be. I still love it, I still love what it is going to equal.

Oh and I agree with Pink on Mrs. Thompson. I have a feeling they're pulling a Wire and will have her do some crazy shit later. HBO has given this show carte blanche so they're not in the panic mode of other shows of "we constantly have to be doing xyz with her." I mean unless you're really thinking about her, if she was introduced later, other complaints would crop up, like the ones with Billy (we haven't developed enough feelings for her.) What's worse? The she sat around this whole time doing little bit here and there then BOOM she does something crazy or a character comes out of nowhere and does something crazy? I think the latter.

Also, they already established that Nucky knows Margaret is emotionally unavailable to him. The whole "I can teach you how to juggle" scene. She wasn't talking about her age when she said "It's too late, it's just too late."

20. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When it first happened, I thought Rothstein had something to do with it. I rewound it immediately because I remember Rothstein walking away right before the explosion. But then I realized he left Luciano closer to the blast, and then was reacting super pissed off as he was trying to be helped up.

That scene also made me realize that I would rather have that fat asshole yelling about radios in every other scene than watch another fucking 30 seconds of Margaret and her fucking diaphragms.