Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Celos, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JDTheHero

JDTheHero
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What do I win?!?

That was some fucked up shit right there.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. You just don't diddle your mom. Why neither of them killed themselves afterward is beyond me.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn't seem like he was into her but it is a whole new level of fucked up to explain his whole Princeton stage. Don't know how he'll deal with explaining away his wife's murder AND the Commodore disappearing (probably with some more killin). Really surprised he didn't ice his mom as well, you can tell that shit has been building in him.

I think Van Alden is the most fucked out of everyone. All Nucky has to do is deal with his brother, either throw him a little bone or dredge up that random kill (through the other snitching officer) and that case will be done. All Jimmy has to do is kill that butcher and he's cool. Van Alden is the only one who is totally fucked. I might have missed the intricacies of his dealings with the high pitched bootlegger (what was their original connection?) but it seems his only real upper hand was the fact that he was a federal agent. Don't think he'll be working their anymore.

p.s. Fuck Mrs. Sour Puss face and her damn religious bullshit. I fucking hate her so fucking much. I hope Anton Chigurh fucked her ass up in the ending of NCFOM.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wow I can't fucking believe that just happened. I definitely didn't see it coming.

Goodbye Jimmy I guess. not sure how I feel about it yet.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, I'm kinda pissed about that.

He was the main star in my opinion. I'm not sure what the show will be like without his character.

6. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah not sure either. Agreed that I had no idea that was coming until it was happening. It's sort of a reset on the whole show. There are no major conflicts left, apart from the shake up that will change the order of things in Chicago and New York, assuming they follow history.

What the fuck do they do with all the characters that interacted solely with Jimmy now? Yikes. At least they didn't pull any punches with the end of this season. I might need to digest this episode a bit before I think about what it means for the show's future.

Xray - I agree, but only in that Jimmy was the only redeemable main character. You can't really like Nucky because he's a cynical asshole who will exploit anything to stay in control. Jimmy was the tortured soul so you could still root for him.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yea now that I let it settle, I'll have to agree. Way to premature for that to happen. A few seasons down the road I could see, but season 2? They spent so much time building his character and giving him a back story just to kill him. Michael Pitt must have wanted out or something.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My fear is that the show will just become another gangster show now. There are no facets to the other gangsters. Rothstein is still Rothstein. Quick thinking and wicked smart. Luciano is still a one dimensional guido as is Capone. I still would have liked to see some revenge on Horvitz though.

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great, now we can have even more time for Mrs. Sourpuss. I'm pissed cause though the show revolves around Nucky I suppose, he became boring this season and I think Jimmy (and by association Harrow) are far more interesting than anything Nucky does. Maybe Owen will get some quality new storylines now. But seriously...fuck

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could have also sworn that I saw a clip on HBO this season where they make it seem like the affair got out between Mrs. Schroeder and the Irish dude and Nucky was doing something violent to him. Maybe they just made it seem that way?

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah me too, but then again maybe it will be better. The thing about a show like this is it has to conform to the rules of history when it characterizes actual people. No matter the circumstances, you know they wont kill off Capone, Luciano, Lansky, or even Nucky (Hes based on a real person who died in the sixties), so what can they do? Kill off the fictional ones like Jimmy.

Maybe now theyll start going full speed with what theyve been alluding to the past two seasons: the beginning of the Mafia in the US. For instance, Luciano is portrayed as a hot headed moron, but in real life he was extremely smart and calculating. Maybe theyll start going in that direction...

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was just a preview cut to look like it. Every Sopranos ended with next weeks preview looking like Tony was getting clipped, for 6 seasons.

Shit, I've never seen a show kill off the co-lead story line like that. Fucking nuts. I am sad, I agree Jimmy's story was by far the better of the two main characters. The Soprano's was never quite the same after the actress who played Tony's mom died and they had to kill her off in the show. I'd have to think the same will happen with this show, it might still be good but one of the main driving forces in the show is gone (by choice no less). Fucking gobsmacked. I mean the closest thing I could think of that was this shocking and disappointing was when Elswood was shot in Deadwood, and he wasn't even one of the two "main" characters. I guess you could say Chris-tu-fa from The Soprano's is comparable but that built for four or five seasons, he lived on borrowed time almost the entire show no surprise there.

I just wonder where it'll go from here. If it does focus more on Mrs. Sourpuss Face (nee' Thompson), itll fucking suck. They certainly aren't being subtle about her affair with the Irish kid blowing up. My guess is, Jimmy's mom gets back with Luciano and tries to manipulate a war with Nucky and New York to get revenge. How they'll keep the masked Sniper guy in it I don't know, they probably won't, sad cause the dude was cool. No one has mentioned Van Alden vanishing into obscurity. How the fuck can they weave him back in now? Is this a total reboot? FUCK!

Anyone else a little ticked they let Nucky's gutless idiot brother come out on top in his story line? For what he was facing from the criminal charges and the wrath of betraying his brother he basically got off scott free. Bullshit, because he was a sniveling snake in the grass waste of space. I still hope that blonde cop can some how broker a deal and get him busted for killing that random dude mid season.

I give them credit for making Nucky an unsympathetic as they possibly could for a lead character. Tony Soprano always had the caring dad in modern America thing going for him even if he was a vicious killer. I'd make the same argument for Walter White in Breaking Bad, deep down the writers still want you to be able to root for him as a caring family man. Nucky, as of this last episode, seems to be entirely self serving and will do and say anything to anybody if it help him stay out of trouble or make him a buck. His spiel to marry Sour Pussface seemed dishonest at best. Marrying her was only the smarter move, I believe had it been more prudent for his situation, she'd have wound up dead.

edit:
    Decent recap of the last episode. I guess I am terrible at seeing obvious foreshadowing as the article points out some pretty huge signs I completely missed as I watched it (tearing up the will/giving his dog tags to his son). They point out, as other sites have as well that the city Van Alden escaped to was historically one of Capones major bootlegging operations. So I guess we get to look forward to that. Still Jimmy was the heart of this show.

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm hoping they portray The St Valentine's Massacre, one of the more noteworthy events in organized crime history.