Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Boardwalk Empire Final Season

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Parker, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

September 7th on HBO (or BitTorrent, whatever). The Final Season premieres. They have two teasers out which are fucking awesome and I'm hyped. This show has had a ton of up, and a few down. (Looking at you Gillian.) I have no doubt in my mind that they're going to deliver something satisfying as fuck.

"No One Goes Quietly"

#1 Parker, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Awesome teasers, I cant wait for this show to return. The more Chalky White, the better.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn when did I miss the announcement this was going to be the final season?

Hopefully it packs a great punch, Im not certain what I think of this series over all. Some wasted potential, some awesomeness, but just not good enough to crack my top series from HBO. Mrs Sourpussface, Nucky's brother, Gillian, all major characters I was sighing at most of the time they were given a lot of screen time. The Soprano's had a lots of ups and downs in storyline quality but over all had a lot more heart and soul than this show was really given. I hope it goes out with a bang. With all of the historical characters it will be interesting how they'll handle their eventual rise to prominence. Capone really hits the big time in the time right after the last season. Lucky and Meyer Lanskey more into the 30's. *Never mind they are skipping ahead to 1931 when most of the big stuff kicked off for them and prohibition was winding down. Hopefully since Mrs Sourpussface is totally fictitious she'll be taken out in grand fashion.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think every scene with Capone in the final season should just be him beating the shit out of someone or discussing beating the shit out of someone.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wonder how they'll handle Rothstein if they are starting in 31 as he was dead by then. They did start to hint about his downfall with his gambling losses. Since he's central to Mrs Sourpussface's storyline they'll have to stretch the truth some I guess.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He'll probably get capped. I would really like to see this season transfer into a new show about Capone and Luciano. Boardwalk is like the prequel to something that's not really coming.

And yeah, it's not quite in the top-tier shows ever on TV. Definitely some sloppy writing and stupid characters. It's more popcorn than visceral like Breaking Bad, which I even consider better than the Sopranos in some ways.

Also, it's a little anti-climactic since

The real Nucky Thompson died of old age in 1968.

But it's what's you get with a historical drama.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They've said they're not sticking to 100% historical. The only example detail they've given is "they skip Rothstein's death." He doesn't die historically. You know Rothstein and Sourpuss have to team up to fuck with Nucky's world one more time.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

god i hate her so much. as long as we get more chalky white, thats all that matters. should be interesting after harrow (rip) clipped maybelle.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

looks like he's in prison for at least part of the season. harrow will be missed as he was one of the strongest side characters besides van alden. im still pissed they decided to whack jimmy as early as they did, michael pitt was killing it, strongest character on the show in my opinion. nucky's stories really took a back seat.

10. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

notice how he hasn't worked since, from what i read he was a big pain in the ass.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i really liked jimmy, but they wrote him into a corner so damn early. no way he was going to be able to stick it out and play around the way he was without someone killing him or him having to kill a lot of people. i do really miss the commodore's parlor room he took over, that room was just fucking epic.

chalky white in prison is interesting, because he has a ton of friends there. he's respected.

also, i want to see what goes down with the good doctor. that fucker is still alive and running around angry.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So Rothstein died off-screen, which makes the team up side-story between him and Sourpuss utterly pointless.

The skip ahead is kind of weird given what happened at the end of last season. And it's nice they want to give little winks and nods to the Godfather, but they gotta get going with some plot if they're only doing 8 episodes.

And god I hate Sourpuss, why couldn't she have been claimed by polio or something?

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not really looking forward to this upcoming season like I did with the others. I feel like they have to just cram in so much shit and change lots of things so it wraps up decently. I feel like the show could have been so much better without sourpuss face. One of the most unlikable female characters ever.

I enjoyed the Gyp Rosetti season the best. He was such a great bad guy.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Agreed. After last nights episode, it really feels like there's an entire season that's completely missing. Nucky has been shacked up with that flapper chick in Cuba for 7 years?

Nothing ever happened with Narcisse at all? I know they're going to finish that out this season, but what was the immediate aftermath?

And even though they didnt loop in anything from Chicago in the premiere, van Alden is still just brooding to kill Capone but acting as his bitch? For 7 years?

15. Aristotle

Aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Shit's about to get hot!

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I couldn't quite tell at the end. Was that Nuckys nephew? And if it was, I'm not quite sure of the message.

17. Aristotle

Aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It was Gyp Rosetti's old colleague(the one Nucky ate with at the restaurant and threatened earlier in the episode), I think he may have worked for Nucky a bit after he turned on Gyp and before he started working for Luciano.

I assume the Cuban attack on Nucky was a random anti-democratic one? Kind of like the scene in Godfather where Michael notices the communist blows himself up to kill a few cops, and that Cuba has a much larger problem than they're leading on. But 1931 is a bit early for that, so I dunno. But I got the feeling as an audience we were supposed to believe that Luciano and his crew had nothing to do with it, and that Nucky may have just started another war over an insecure and bad assumption.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I thought it was pretty clear that the assassin was sent by Meyer Lansky. Remember that him and Luciano had been talking about wiping out all of the old generation bosses. Rothstein gone (not by them tho), Masseria gone, Torrio in retirement, and they're now plotting against Maranzano.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What an awesome episode.

Capone... jesus christ... what a character. As the AV Club review put it, hes in full Tommy DeVito mode. Its 1931.. so his arrest for tax evasion is right around the corner. Theyll probably tie up his story line with just that. As for Luciano... another great character. For all Ive read about him, this is the exactly the way he was.

And I didnt mind sourpussface in this episode. She actually wasnt terrible to watch.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm waiting to see how they will kill Van Alden.