Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Better Call Saul: Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else catch the premiere? Nothing mind blowing, but a solid setup for this season.

2. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I did catch it. I really enjoyed the first season, so made it a point to catch the season 2 premiere when it aired.

I agree with you, the episode basically got us back into track with Saul, nothing too shocking. I actively laughed at the PLAYUH....that guy deserves what is coming to him. It was also cool that the mark at the bar was the same dick that had his car blown up by Walt in S1 BB.

It will be interesting to see how long Jimmy lasts at the new firm.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There were a ton of callbacks to BB... that tequila was the same that Gus used to kill off the cartel, for instance.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They mentioned there was a bunch of Easter eggs in that episode but they were probably too subtle for me to realize.

5. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm interested to see where those black & white cold openings lead.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im guessing since the case is worth north of twenty million he got a junior partner type gig, although I really hope the show doesn't focus to much on this time period, I am more than ready for the Saul Goodman show to start.

7. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show is suffering because Jimmy is just not that interesting when put up against Mike. I feel like I'm only watching to find out what kind of Shenanigans Mike is going to get into next. (The best episode last season was his exit from Philly and that back story, right?)

They spent all of last season telling us why he is going to be Saul Goodman. Now three episodes in they are once again telling us why he is going to be Saul Goodman. I want to see them get into more shady business dealings and less corporate law nonsense. I guess maybe that is the plot. And at the end of the series he is Saul. I want to see that now.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I dont think its been that bad, a little slow so far, but I think it has promise. I want to see more epilogue scenes of him post Breaking Bad.

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is what I think too, let's have way more Saul Goodman and his antics and way less corporate law Jimmy.

Maybe he will get shit canned for running that ad and take whatever money he has and open up shop at the strip mall.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I know it gnaws at some people "Maybe Mike should have been the spin-off?" The back-and-forth between Jimmy and Mike play off like two shows: Jimmy is scheming and humourous, Mike's is gritty, dark and suspensful crime drama. It gels well, in the end.

Still liking it though. As spin-offs go this is as good as one could hope for.

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These scenes between him and his brother are heartbreaking every time. I still maintain that two historically comedic actors are pulling off drama better than most.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's because good comedy is harder to do than good drama. Anyone can look sad and make you feel bad for them. To make you really belly laugh, like these two have done for decades now, takes huge skill. So while almost anyone can do drama, when comedians of that level get into it, they play your emotions like a fiddle.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was just rewatching "Amarillo" and I think that's Michael McKean singing that country song at the beginning. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It sounds just like him.

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like we are gonna find out how Hector winds up in that wheelchair after all.

Another solid episode, although we are halfway through now and still no mention of Saul Goodman, it's a shame.

15. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you think of the title as "Better take Mike's dog to the vet" it really will make sense. That's what I've started doing.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

17. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well, so, that's season 2 in the can. I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the finale, BUT....clearly, I wish Jimmy would have remembered the first rule of felony club, which is never admit out loud that you did a felony. Silly Saul.

18. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yes that entire part was just cringe-worthy.

The entire last scene was entirely too predictable. The whole set up with the tape recorder could be seen from a mile away and I've come to expect more from this show.

Despite that however, really good season overall.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I enjoyed this season as well. It really found its rhythm compared to season 1 and has made an effort to stand apart from Breaking Bad and at the same time still manages to inject jolts of unsettling anxiety like Breaking Bad did. The scene where Mike spots Tuco's cousins watching him and his granddaughter from the rooftop was intense.

I love how its playing out like a Greek tragedy. Only minor thing is that Mike and Jimmy's stories are a little too divergent to the point where it almost wouldnt make sense for them to reunite other than making sure they dont fuck up the continuity. Im sure the writers will cook something up thats satisfactory in that regard. Michael McKean has done an excellent job in this role.

20. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think they were really working together at the start of Breaking Bad. Mike was a fixer who Saul knew, but he worked for Fring. He was never closely associated with Saul the way Huell and Bill Burr's character were.