Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Best Comedies of the Decade

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by MoreCowbell, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

American Pie just missed the list, coming out in the summer of '99. No one ever talks about that movie, but when that came out it was amazing. Especially since I was finishing up high school as well.

Bad Santa should be higher up there - I thought it was so inappropriate and hilarious. Thurman Murman did a great job.

I also don't understand what's so funny about Anchorman. Everyone told me to watch it a few times, but Will Ferrell just comes off as overacting. After Old School all of his roles went way downhill.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't cut Freddy Got Finger slack, I said it had a few hilarious parts but wasn't 25 material. As for InDaHouse instead of being unique and hilarious like the original concept of Cohens material (which he later made a fortune with making Borat and Bruno) he made a generic movie with low brow humor that wasn't delivered in a funny fashion. I remember thinking a lot of the jokes in the film must have seemed funny on paper but did not translate to screen very well. Stand alone it was average to poor and compared to his original concept, fucking terrible. No where close to top 25.

You must have missed the entire point of Best in Show which at heart was mocking the pretentiousness of a wide variety of different people. Just because there were pretentious people in it doesn't mean it's pretentious or somehow taking itself seriously. Come on though, the movie took itself seriously? Did we watch the same movie?

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, you could write all those exact same things about Borat. "Low brow humor". "Nowhere near as good as the original TV show on HBO or BBC." There's literally no difference between those two pictures, except that some of the scenes in Borat were a little less staged.

Point is, I laughed much harder from the individual gags in "IndaHouse" than I did for "Borat", although both were good comedies.

I didn't miss the "point", I'm just saying there is a difference between presenting the "point" and expecting it to be funny all by itself, and actually writing good jokes around it.

Again, that's one of the problems when you make a comedy without an actual script, all based around improv.

You really don't think a Christopher Guest film is pretentious? Honestly?

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

InDaHouse was by-the-numbers comedy which relied on throwing gags at you every minute like every other average to poor comedy, some stuck a lot didn't, he completely ditched the original concept that made the character so funny on TV. The plot to Borat was weak at best I'll agree but the concept, though not even as well executed as the series, was much funnier and original than InDaHouse and most Hollywood comedies. Thus, I think the jokes that stick with Borat were much funnier and over all more joke stuck than didn't, unlike InDaHouse.

I think in Spinal Tap and Best in Show the improv delivered by the actors really did convey the point of mocking pretentiousness to the point of absurdity, which is why I feel that they could never "take themselves seriously", it's irreverent humor at its finest. I can't say the same for A Mighty Wind or For Your Consideration. With Best In Show even if the characters weren't supposed to be there to mock pretentiousness, like Guest's character with the Hound Dog, they still had hilarious characters with absurd personalities which were extremely funny.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty surprised no one is debating The Other Guys. I'm not going to bother Googling it, but I don't think it was a big hit because not a lot of people walked around quoting it or still talk about it. I personally loved it because I felt Will Ferrell was actually burning calories being someone other than Will Ferrell. I do not like him, but I loved him in The Other Guys. What made that movie and surprised me was that Marky Mark's character was weird and fucked-up also. Kinda glad to see it on there. The whole gag with Eva Mendez was golden.

I haven't seen Easy A, but I'm pretty sure it's getting points because Emma Stone is cute as fuck. I'm going to watch that shit this weekend. I think Mean Girls will forever be remembered as the last recorded moment LiLo was still a hot redhead and only did 1 line a day. Also it's funny as shit that Amanda Seyfried Ms. "It's like I have ESPN or something" dumbest character in that movie is doing all these serious movies now.

Harold and Kumar deserves to be a little higher on the list. Can't fucking wait for the third one.

*May have been posted under the influence.

6. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will probably catch shit for this, but I think Mean Girls is legitimately hilarious. There's many lines from that movie that even the mere mention of them will crack me up ("Do you even go here?" "No....I just have a lot of feelings..."). I don't care what it's intended gender audience was; it had great jokes.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I disagree that throwing non-stop gags at the audience means it's a bad comedy. What about "The Hangover", for instance, which did the exact same thing? It just depends on how funny said gags are.

For me, the ones in "Ali G Indahouse" were hilarious. The ones in "Borat" were less so, although still good.

I just didn't see the humor in any of those characters or their eccentricities, which they never managed to exploit in a funny way. It's fine if you did, but it's hardly an objective feather in your cap.

8. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm an idiot too.

It's a romcom, but how about High Fidelity?

9. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would second "Sex Drive" if the unrated version can be considered. The unrated version is basically the theatrical version with a series of naked actors running through the scene at lulls in dialogue.

10. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I guess I hang out in different circles than you guys, because Easy A came with a whole lot of hype for me. A half-dozen people gushed to me about how clever it was; I didn't find it particularly so, but I can't articulate why.

I thought Ali G Indahouse was pretty terrible. The jokes were insipid, poorly plotted, and largely unconnected with a greater story arc. As great as I think Da Ali G show was, this movie was just an utter failure to me. One of the more disappointing films I've ever seen.

My preliminary top 10, in no particular order:

11. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dear lord, thank you. I've seen that movie more times than I can count, and not because it was the last time Lindsay Lohan was hot.

12. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Mean Girls was just on again recently, and I forgot how much unintentional comedy there is in that movie revolving around its use of "Africa" as a random catchall place. I don't even think they bother giving her a specific country of origin.

13. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My opinion on the ones that I have seen:
    My top 10:
    1. Igby Goes Down (more of a dark comedy, but I am counting it)
    2. Bad Santa
    3. American Wedding
    4. Orange County
    5. Undercover Brother
    6. Clerks II
    7. Road Trip
    8. Borat
    9. Me, Myself & Irene
    10. Mean Girls

One other comedy that I really liked that has not been mentioned is 40 Days and 40 Nights.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does the Aristocrats count as a comedy movie? I mean, it was on film, and its funny as shit, but it is just a bunch of comedians talking about the dirty joke. It's almost like a comedy documentary. But if it does count, it has to be number 1. I couldn't stop laughing the entire time.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't count comedy specials on my list.

If I did, I would probably include Ricky Gervais: Animals and Dave Chappelle: Killing Them Softly.

16. mrburgundy

mrburgundy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Why the hate on Anchorman? I've always loved it, and almost everyone else who I've talked to shares this opinion. I'm just curious as to why some of you dislike Anchorman while praising movies like 40 Days and 40 Nights, Orange County, or Wedding Crashers.

17. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How the hell does Ben Stiller get more recognition than Bill Murray?

Ghostbusters isn't your typical comedy, but it's far from a drama or traditional sci-fi.

18. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because recently, Murray's starring roles have been sparse and tending to be, if not non-comedies, genre-bending and very low-budget/limited release.

19. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Previous list:

25-Meet The Parents (Didn't like it as much as everyone else)
    24-Napoleon Dynamite (FUCK THIS MOVIE)
    23-Easy A (NO)
    22-Black Dynamite
    21-Pineapple Express (Awesome)
    20-Step Brothers (Hilarious)
    19-Bad Santa (Great)
    18-Harold n Kumar Go To White Castle (Surprisingly funny )
    17-Super Troopers (Loved it)
    16-The Other Guys (Will Ferrell Mark Wahlberg how can you go wrong)
    15-Road Trip (Use to love now its just ok)
    14-Mean Girls (good)
    13-Superbad (Awesome)
    12-Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Great)
    11-Wedding Crashers (Vince Vaughn's character makes the movie)
    10-Knocked Up (good)
    9-The Hangover (Best)
    8-Best in Show
    7-Zoolander (Number 1 male model)
    6-Shaun of the Dead (love it)
    5-Tropic Thunder (Great movie)
    4-Anchorman (Great)
    3-Borat (Awesomely awkward)
    2-Old School (Good)
    1-40 Year Old Virgin (Good)

My Top 10:

10-Wedding Crashers (Thank you Vince Vaugn)
    9-Super Bad
    8-Pineapple Express
    7-Zoolander
    6-Waiting
    5-Shaun of the dead
    4-Anchorman
    3-Clerks II
    2-Super Troopers
    1-The Hangover

20. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't mean to pick on the previous poster,,,, as it seems to be a recurring theme on the internet.... But does everyone think that Shaun of the Dead is better than Hot Fuzz? Same thing for Super Troopers over Beerfest. Don't get me wrong, I really liked both Shaun of the Dead and Super Troopers......... But for my monies worth, Hot Fuzz blows Shaun of the Dead out of the water. Same thing for Beerfest over Super Troopers.
    Am I off my John fucking Rocker?