Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Beer? Sorry, you'll have to wait until Monday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frank, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Croftie

Croftie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just graduate from Ole Miss (University of Mississippi), and I think we have some fairly "unique" alcohol laws worth mentioning:
    -No alcohol sales on Sunday
    -No sales of COLD BEER in any convenience store/gas station. To circumvent this, there used to be a drive through beer barn that would open up during the winter. They stored all their beer outside so that it was naturally cooled by the air instead of by a cooler.
    -Liquor stores can't sell beer.
    -Bars close at midnight every night except for Friday when they close at 1.

The University itself has the strangest laws. Campus is situated half in the city of Oxford and half outside (and therefore under Lafayette County jurisdiction). The city of Oxford says that its part of campus cannot have alcohol above 5% ABV, so when entering the baseball field, all coolers must be checked for liquor. Beer is allowed. Now, the other half of campus which includes the football stadium and the main tailgating area is under county laws. These say that you cannot have any alcohol under 5% ABV, so only hard liquor and wine can be consumed. What it really amounts to is that during football season, everyone can only drink liquor before football games and consequently gets royally fucked up.

I've heard that the Lafayette County laws were from a long time ago and were enacted to keep the poorer African Americans (who couldn't afford the more expensive >5% ABV drinks) from getting intoxicated and endangering the womenfolk. But who knows really.