Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lust4life, May 30, 2011.

1. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is probably no item of clothing more iconic than the tee shirt. Plain white, bands/concerts, sports teams, superheroes, tye-dyes, wildlife (howling wolves--you people know who you are!), "designers," and a shitload in between, everyone, at some point in their life, has or had a favorite tee-shirt.

Focus: Where does the tee-shirt fall in your current wardrobe? 99%? Just on weekends? Gym wear only?

Focus II: Do you tend to only wear tee-shirts of a particular genre (e.g., Harley-Davidson, your alma mater, military, etc.)

Focus III: Describe your favorite tee-shirt.

I love them, and could probably go 2 months and not wear the same one twice and since most of my time is spent in either the classroom or an office doing research with little public interaction, I wear tee's probably 75-80% of the time, and my collection spans several genres. I started collecting Harley-Davidson tees back in the 90s from dealerships in places I visited and probably have about 30 of them. I have a large collection of rock tee shirts for Pink Floyd (including the one I bought when I saw them perform The Wall in 1980--it doesn't fit anymore, and is well-worn, but I just can't bring myself to toss it), The Dead, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Elvis Costello. Then, there are tee purchased for me: Tigger from DisneyWorld (actually, a very comfy shirt, and they got me the ball cap to match), the French flag with a screw going through it ("You can't fly over our space on your way to rip Libya a new one.") my brother-in-law got me, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups from the Hershey's store in Times Square (that actually smells of chocolate), as well as collegiate tees from not only my alma mater, but those of the people giving me the shirt (yeah, I don't understand this either).

My favorite though is a very subtle reference to Pink Floyd/David Gilmour fandom. Gimour wore a tee shirt during a concert from Glimour Academy, a private high school in Ohio that is highly regarded for its hockey program if you're into high school hockey, and the shirt became commercially available. Any comments the shirt gets fall into one of three categories:

!. "Is that where you went to school?"
    2. "Gilmour! great hockey school!"
    3. "You're a Pink Floyd fan, aren't you?"

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Lately T-shirts for me are underwear, as they used to be before James Dean. I have short-sleeve collared button-down shirts that I wear over them. But a funny or cool T-shirt goes a long way with me.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I wear t-shirts every day. Especially rock concert shirts, which I have about twenty different ones. Thery're almost exclusively my shirt of choice.

4. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

5. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wear a tshirt nearly every day, though on work days its strictly after-hours.

Usually it's some semi-obscure geek reference for hope it'll draw a rare geeky chick instead of actually putting effort into going out and meeting people properly.
    Never works.

But seriously, nerd references, video game references, and bands are pretty much the only t-shirts I wear.

6. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Nerdiest article of clothing ever?

I wear t-shirts whenever I have the opportunity. I used to wear "joke" t-shirts, but I almost never find a joke that I feel like telling for an entire day at a time, so it would have to be really fucking funny for me to want to wear. I like supporting artists I respect by wearing their merchandise, especially if it looks good and they provide me with a lot of free entertainment. Like dinosaur comics shirts. Or asofterworld shirts.

And don't let anybody tell you differently, v-neck t-shirts are the fucking shit. They are my favorite torso-clothes, and in my top 5 articles of clothing. If you asked a friend to guess what I was wearing on a given day, that would probably be on there.

My main rules for clothing are that it has to look good and be comfortable, which leads to some kinda funny scenarios. For example, I bought a couple cool t-shirts in a music store (which should have been clue 1, but I'm not very bright). Turns out they were from bands (who knew) that I'd never heard of. Cue a year of random people coming up to me going, "Hey you like Le Tigre too?", or "AFI is the best, did you see them at [x] concert?" and my looking at them like I was an idiot. Which, of course, I am.

A similar situation occurs whenever I wear my IHTSBIH t-shirt. I have pretty mixed feelings about that whole thing, but that t-shirt fits me so nicely and is comfortable, and was free, so I wear it. My morals are for sale people, at the cost of random high fives from fratty Boston dudes, and judgmental sighs from a lot of my friends.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wear t-shirts all the time. 99% of them are plain white, grey, or blue, with a couple greens in there. I own maybe two or three t-shirts that have any amount of writing on them, and they're probably decomposing around a hanger in my closet. The only shirt with writing that I wear with any consistency is a shirt that shows the many uses of the word "fuck", which I wear when I'm working on cars and is covered in oil stains and grime.

When I went on a cruise recently, no one could understand why I wasn't buying t-shirts at the places we were going. I explained to them as nicely as I could that I think t-shirts with shit on them look tacky ("But they look great on you, though").

Don't even get me started on those tapout shirts that are more shiny sliver graphic than actual cloth.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a sad day that goes by that I don't wear a t-shirt of some description. Hell, I'm wearing one right now. And, unless I'm going to court or an important meeting, I always wear a t-shirt and shorts to the office. I'm just that kind of rebel.

Every concert I go to, I will buy at least one t-shirt. Sure, they're overpriced for the most part (I'm looking at you Them Crooked Vultures... $50? Fuck), but I get a lot of wear out of them. I too went through a stage of buying a Harley shirt from the local dealership whenever I went somewhere. But I haven't been anywhere new in a while, so that's dropped off.

I'm also a sucker for quirky, funny t-shirts that appeal to my sense of humour... which rarely seem to apply to others.

The current favourites I have in my rotation are:

- "I know violence isn't the answer. I got it wrong on purpose." which I got from tshirthell.com.
    [​IMG]

- The Raketa Dojo shirt I was gifted when I put up a bunch of crazy Hungarian Kempo guys a while back.

- The "Hi, my name is Go Away" shirt (done up as a name tag) from 27b/6.

- The Simon's Pie Chart shirt from 27b/6
    [​IMG]

- My Fergburger shirt from Queenstown, New Zealand (which a friend got for me to replace the hoodie I lost).
    [​IMG]

9. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The one thing we have in common.

I wear t-shirts exclusively, with the occasional collared shirt once or twice a week, or when I'm going out. Like 4 years ago I purchased two 3-packs of colored t-shirts from American Apparel, since they are the only t-shirt I've found that fits my body type, which is long and skinny. Basically I'm an extra large body with large shoulders, so larges are too small lengthwise, and extra larges drape over my frame like a duvet. This turned out to be a great investment, as I wear that and a couple of bands tee's I have from concerts, along with the random free charity and club shirts I own nearly all the time.

10. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My uniform for my job includes a white tee-shirt, so I wear one every day. other than that, I don't wear a lot of tee-shirts in summer, because I run pretty hot and I will roast, but in cooler weather I pretty much always have one on.

11. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am the epitome of plain t-shirt and jeans guy. The biggest problem is finding tees that fit right. I'm 6'2", kind of wide shoulders, thin neck. Swimmer's physique. This probably doesn't help typical sizing. I like a tight neck that feels like a weak old man trying to strangle me, fairly tight sleeves, the bottom should sit on or just below my jean pockets, and the chest should be secure without restricting movement. In other words it should fit properly and not be a fucking tent or too small. I don't know what it is with today's customers. They're either obese or malnourished, no in between. Or maybe you just can't find dependable sweat shop labor anymore. Banana Republic is the ONLY place that sells tees that fit right. My favorite is a grey tee from them that I ration out it's use so it will last me until I can find a replacement. Too bad they're almost $20 a pop. Wait for the 2-4-1 sale every summer/fall.

For white tees, Jockey is where it's at. The regular crew neck are awesome. Consistent, tight in the right places, hold up in the wash for a solid year of wear. Like a glove. I wear these half the week.

Proper fitting clothes is one of the things I'm OCD about. Running around in shirts that tent, flare, or the necks are worn out and hang awkwardly, looks trashy to me. Uncomfortable too. Also one of the few things I will pay top dollar for good product.

12. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

It is not okay to wear T-shirts with "funny" slogans on them past the phase when you're angsty in middle school and shop at Hot Topic.

That is all.

13. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

This is very timely, as I just the morning I bought my first new t-shirt in like 5 years. My other ones are either old nasty Guy Harvey shirts from college or a gift from someone.

I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum from most of those who have posted already- I really only wear t-shirts to workout or when I'm on the water somewhere. For most-if-not-all of my everyday life, I'm in a polo. I wear one everyday for work (that or a button-down oxford). When I get home, I just lounge around in the shirt I wore that day, along with some mesh shorts. When I wake up on a Saturday and have a day of stuff planned for outside the house, I'm wearing a polo with either jeans or khaki shorts. Hell, they even have the really nice breathable ones made for fishing, so I even wear them down the river, too.

Hell, I've even given up undershirts. I sleep shirtless. The only reason I bought the new t-shirt this morning was that I didn't have one white shirt that wasn't old and dingy, and I wanted it just in case I did want to wear a nicer one at some point.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck that. I have a t-shit that says "I poop a lot". I guess it is more ironic because it can mean in frequency or in volume, however in my case it means both.

I often wish they allowed me to wear it on casual Fridays.

15. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My favorite shirt is a hand me down Pistons shirt from the Bad Boys days. I've never seen it anywhere else. It's in retirement because it was becoming see through and way to small.
    This is the Bad Boys shirt I usually see, which is nowhere near as sweet.

I like wearing this one too.

Attached Files:

16. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tshirts are not my favorite article of clothing - I'd say I wear them maybe a couple times a month. There's at most 4 hanging in my closet and only one that I really like wearing (despite being made of recycled Coke bottles its very soft, fits well and I like the message).
    [​IMG]

I'm involved with a lot of the kids activities at my church and since we have a member that owns a screen printing shop, every fucking thing gets a tshirt. They look at me like I burned a Bible when I say I don't want a tshirt.

My ex had at least half of the shirts from tshirthell... nothing like going to eat at Cracker Barrel with a guy whose shirt says "I came on Eileen". He's moved on to Affliction tees now and I'm not sure which is worse.

17. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wear t shirts almost every day. If not to class, then certainly when I get home. I wear a lot of hockey t shirts that I've purchased over the years and also of the sports teams from the college I attended for undergrad. A friend of mine is part owner of a small hockey clothing company so I get some deals from him on some pretty cool t shirts. I try to promote his brand as much as possible and end up wearing his company's t shirts quite frequently. If not one of these then a plain colored t (nothing wild or too bright).

18. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

T-shirts are daily attire for me, since I have no reason to wear anything nicer on a day-to day basis. The only t-shirts I pay for are plain-colored ones from lands end. Super comfortable and I can get talls so they fit better than anything else. Other than that I have a shit-ton of free ones for various businesses and colleges.

I agree with whoever it was that said that "funny" t-shirts should be left for middle school.

19. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got this shirt that I've worn holes through. It's comfortable and inappropriate. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with collared shirts for work. While it's nice to wear a shirt that makes me look less like a dorky jackass, I can't help who I am. Give me video game shirts any day of the week.

20. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't wear T-shirts anywhere near as frequently as I used to - my senior year of high school it was concert Ts nearly every day. These days, the requirement for business causal attire at work and a desire to look moderately well dressed when out with the family result in T-shirts being relegated to evening wear, or worn around the house on weekends, with a few exceptions.

My current favorite T-shirt is this, although mine is in a slightly more tasteful grey:

[​IMG]

I've had more than a few odd looks the time or two i wore this to the grocery store.