Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Because people suck. That's why.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by $100T2, May 16, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

An interesting fact:

One of the biggest growth areas in video games is the "casual gamer". EA is dumping HUGE cash and development into it. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pogo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pogo.com</a>

The largest demographic, by far?

The soccer mom.

They want to just sit down for 5-20 minutes, and be entertained, and then go and do their other stuff. It's a time out in their day, without the investment required into typical video games.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's an interesting idea. As was previously pointed out, it seems that getting the next chapters on a Kindle by entering the correct code would be straight forward. For those that want a hard copy, you could still satisfy the instant gratification by having the next chapters already available at Barnes & Noble - maybe an exclusive deal with them to get traffic in their brick & mortar stores. The catch would be anybody could buy the next chapter any time - only the regular price is $50. If you solve the clue, you get the email coupon for $40 off or whatever. If someone wants to pay extra to cheat they can.

3. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As Nettdata pointed out, casual gaming is on the rise. This is probably the extreme other end, a game that really requires player investment.

But, I don't think casual gaming is in direct competition with serious gaming. You're not playing angry birds instead of world of war craft, you're playing it instead of paying attention to the mass at a wedding you got roped into attending.

Where casual gaming enters into the picture is where companies put their focus. Look at how much TV has shifted from scripted shows to cheap, reality TV that appeals to the lowest common denominator, the number of films that are just remakes and sequels.

Companies may be less interested in gourmet gaming because it's expensive and risky.

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, how does this sound?

You go to the store (or order online) and buy a package that includes: "the diary" (a paperback book with all sorts of clues, random codes, stuff like that) and a letter from "your sister" or "your cousin" or whatever that says, "They are closing in on me. I have to send this to someone I trust." You have to log in to his/her email, and that starts your journey into the book.

There's an access code to download the entire book. However, each chapter is password encrypted, and the only way to access the next part of the story is to solve the clues correctly. If you fuck up, you get an alternate chapter where you are misdirected and you have to back track to where you should go.

5. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So like a mystery novel, except Choose Your Own Adventure style?

I like it.

6. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, kinda.

And hell, I can even create alternate pathways to make different endings.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, whether it's in the thread, through rep, or through PMs.

If any of you would like to help me with this, edit shit, whatever, please let me know. I am hashing out characters and story now, but the technical stuff needed to make this work is beyond me.

EDIT: Does anyone know if Kindle can support games like sudoku or crossword puzzles? I would like to make one of the passwords some sort of 20 digit code you can only get by solving a sudoku puzzle that will be inserted in the diary. Can Kindle (or any e-book medium for that matter) support small video clips?

Anyone else think this kind of thing can jump into the void left by the Harry Potter series ending? Maybe interactive stuff like this would go well with that fan base?

7. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Be wary of Survivorship bias.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias</a>

8. captainjackass

captainjackass
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I really, really hate that game. Oh look, there's a bell-tower and you can control the clock!

Oh look there's a row of switches that operate some pistons. There are 40 individual switches that you can set from numeral 1-99. That's 100^40 combinations of pointless shit to tinker with!

And there's a library! Filled with an actual e-library of archaic, pointless books. You think they have clues in them or have a point. They don't! You've just burned hours of your fuckin' life!

9. captainjackass

captainjackass
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

By the way, before I heard your idea I assumed it was going to be shit.

But the idea is not half bad. Especially if it was like some Twilight or Harry Potter type shit, and you had to piece together/ decipher some letter from Edward or whoever the fuck.

Sounds like it would be best on an electronic medium like iPad or Kindle - you know, all the shit is right there in your hands. Like how a lot of iPad books these days have music/ songs/ videos embedded in the chapters.

The mail idea; dunno. I think some people in your market would like it and some people would not.

10. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'd love to see this come to fruition. Games like notpron and frvade used to keep me glued to the screen for hours. Add a compelling story and I have yet another reason to avoid sunlight.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Somewhat on topic, and an interesting read: Don't Give Bullshit Advice

12. Heeze

Heeze
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This is so true. In reality you aren't going to fully know whether something works, becomes profitable and is entirely sustainable until you actually go out and get shit done.

I have a couple of pieces of paper that say I know a lil somethin' about marketing and an array of experience in communications roles, but my piece of advice is this even before you look at 'how am I gonna market this'.

What is your realistic cost/benefit analysis (what is your return on investment going to be)? Are you going to pour 3,000 working hours into this and then be able to sell your start-up off to a bigger player or are you wasting your time on an entirely unrealistic aim/goal/objective structure?

To me as it stands it is the latter of the two.

I know Malcolm Gladwells, The Tipping Point has been referenced here a number of times already but anyone remotely interested in an entreprenuerial venture would benefit from reading it. When it comes to marketing the success of an idea will be determined by, if you are first (to market), best (in the market) or cheapest (in the market).

And as it stands again $100T2 you're none of these things - you wont be the first, you in all likelihood wont be the best (I'm thinking of Heavy Rain on PS3) and well the third facet does not apply currently.

Kill the idea and get another one.

13. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been staying out of this discussion because it's too close to my day job and I come here to escape it rather than wallow in it, but that said, I have some advice. Please note, this advice is all based on the assumption you want to realize a return on investment; if this is actually a cool project that you would like to do regardless and perhaps recoup some of your costs, you can safely ignore all of it.

As with all things, do your homework. Understand your market. I had a quick look for some figures, but they all related to CYOA for children / young adults. Were I in your shoes, I would look at the demographics for e-book and I-pad owners, as these are going to comprise your total market. Then you need to come to some conclusions about what percentage of these people are going to be interested in CYOA. If that first bit of research tells you that a large majority of e-book and i-pad owners are 24-35yr old males, then targeting your story towards 40 yr old women is going to present a problem. Make sure that what you are writing appeals to your target market.

A good way of analysing your market and getting some realistic figures is to look at what the competition is bringing in. (Note, this is also a good way of establishing what separates you from your competition - your value proposition, if you like jargon). Check out U Ventures - "Edward Packard, a creator and principal author of the classic Choose Your Own Adventure book series, has collaborated on a set of applications that will bring the interactive books into the digital age, announced Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing on July 26. The first in the "U-Ventures" series, Return to the Cave of Time, is now available on iTunes for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad". http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...r-own-adventure-books-go-digital-2037128.html I would bet that there are some figures available for the revenue generated by this product; consider the similarities and differences of your project, and make some reasonable assumptions about whether you could expect to earn more or less. If those numbers aren't going to reach your preferred ROI, you have a problem.

So: is this a potentially profitable hobby, or an alternative income stream? If the latter, make sure you do your research.