Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Because It's There

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

When George Mallory was asked why he climbed Mount Everest, he famously replied, "Because it's there."

Some things need to be done just because they can. Shaking up a beer can and tossing it into a fire pit. Catching a snake without using gloves. Eating a 5 lbs bag of sugar free haribo gummy bears. Noodling catfish.

And now, we have proof that someone has vaped a Carolina Reaper. Thank you, youtube.

Focus: What was the dumbest thing you've ever done or see someone do "because it's there"? What were the results?

Alt. Focus: When did a dumb idea like this end up working out in your favor?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Before I moved to Boston, I had a lot of friends that lived here so I used to visit quite a bit. One evening when I was about 23, we went out and got hammered on some random Friday night. We were stumbling around the Fenway area when one of my friends decided he wanted to a spinning back-kick off the Ted Williams statue. He did it, and broke his ankle in 4 places upon landing.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Climbed a tree, found a way the top of the rec center building in college, found a hatch, hung from the rafters, dropped in the diving pool, didn't die.

Also, I always thought it was Sir Edmund Hillary's successful climb that prompted the thread title phrase, and didn't realized it was Mallory's failed attempt. Learn something new every day. Well, some days.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Big you ever wanted to ask George Mallory how his climb went, go to Everest and ask him. Because he is still there.

We once pulled the flag rope on a flagpole to use as a human catapult. Everyone keys the rop go but you, and you LAUNCH through the air. I launched directly into the pole, smashing my eye socket and cracking two ribs. If you're ever here the flagpole is still bent from the incident in front of Montcalm high school.