Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's done, but there are rumours of upcoming spin-offs and other stuff.

Talk about them here.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone had a chance to see The Plan yet?

3. Paged

Paged
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Never got to see the plan, and I know Caprica was being made, but I haven't heard anything about that since. I always thought this was a great show, with a horrible horrible ending. Nonetheless, a great watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'd love to see a spin-off personally, and I hope Caprica delivers on the greatness that was BSG, the show opened up some great ideas with robots and humanity, and I'd love to see those ideas explored further, but in a way that's not related to the survival of the human race and it's struggle.

4. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Plan synopsis without spoilers.

1st half: Sweet! New scenes and explanations for some unanswered questions
    2nd half: Yah okay this is getting a little boring, it's like a clip show but respun to add stuff that didn't actually happen...

Ending: Quite chilling there, especially this one scene...

Still worth watching.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I refrained from watching the show at all until it had completed it's run. I bought the box set (awesome old-school Cylon figurine embedded in the box) and watched the entire series straight through.

Are you telling me there's more?

Link that shit.

6. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I sped to Best Buy today to pick it up on DVD, only to realize it's not getting released until this coming Tuesday.

On the plus side, I did pick up the latest installment of Bring It On, another series that can go on forever in my book.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, I'm not the only person willing to watch horrible writing if it includes scantily clad flexible girls flipping around in a provocative manner?

Seriously though, tell me more about The Plan. Like I said, I got into the BSG game after the show was done. Are we talking about supplemental material, continuation of storyline, what?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

9. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's actually the second such movie BSG has put out. The first was "Battlestar Galactica: Razor" which filled in some of the backstory regarding the Pegasus and Admiral Cain.

Edward James Olmos has said there may be several more one-shot movies like this in future.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right, but wasn't Razor included in the collector's edition box-set I bought? I know I saw an extra long ep that was Maryann on the Pegasus...

I think...

11. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It was included in the Season 4.0 box set but was originally produced and aired - and released on DVD - as a stand-alone story. It was aired between the end of Season 3 (when the four Cylons were revealed) and the beginning of Season 4 (Starbuck returns).

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just saw Romo Lampkin on the new USA show White Collar.

I don't know what it is, but I fucking love that actor. He plays the same damn character every time I see him. Brash, Irish, smarter then you are. Fuck, I love that guy. I'm too drunk to look him up, what's his name, what else has he been in?

13. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Mark Sheppard. I initially recognized him from his work in Firefly, and he's made appearances in Dollhouse as well, along with about half the cast of BG.

14. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I should turn in my nerd card, but I just realized that when you posted it.

"Better than . . ."

15. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Battlestar Galactica - The Plan

I just finished watching the "The Plan" on DVD. There is a shitload of plot stuffed into this two hours, some of which I'll post in spoiler tags.

Other stuff is not so spoiler-y. Such as...

- The entire film is told from the perspective of two Number Ones: the Brother Cavil that survived the attacks aboard the Galactica and the one that joined the T-Bucs resistance group on Caprica.

- Accordingly, there are almost no original performances from the main cast. Starbuck, Apollo, Helo, and Baltar all appear in rehashed footage from the earlier episodes. Tigh and Tyrol return for a couple of brief scenes that happen in between other previously filmed scenes and EJO appears to have filmed about a days' worth of mop-up footage. However, Michael Trucco (Anders), Tricia Helfer (Six), Rick Worthy (Four/Simon), Matthew Bennett (Five/Doral), and Grace Park (Boomer) have a lot of new material to work with.

- The entire plot takes place between the events of the mini-series and the end of Season Two (when Starbuck returns to rescue the T-Bucs).

Now for the spoilers:

Final Five

Cavil did indeed have five goo pits with fresh bodies of the Final Five aboard his ship. We learn that Ellen and Cavil were boozing up at a titty bar when the nukes hit, and Tori survived the blast in her car on Caprica. Both were evacuated to the fleet via Raptors. Titty bar Cavil is the one that sets up shop aboard Galactica and counsels Tyrol near the end of Season Two.

Boomer

It turns out sleeper agent Boomer wasn't entirely in the dark. Cavil was able to "wake" her when he wanted and communicate directly with her. It also appears that Cylon Boomer wasn't fully down with the plan to destroy Galactica because of her feelings for Tyrol.

Number Six

Two Sixes were hidden in the Fleet after the attacks. One was Shelly Godfrey - who we already knew about - and the other was a prostitute model with brown hair that Titty Bar Cavil was frakking. Shelly Godfrey's disappearance is explained; she airlocked herself voluntarily. Also, we learn who Caprica Six's mysterious visitor was from the mini-series. It was a Cavil.

Number Four

Two Simons are featured in "The Plan". One is a medic in the Fleet that ends up marrying the woman rescued from Caprica by Boomer along with Baltar. The other is the T-Bucs' team physician. The first one airlocks himself in a rather stupid subplot and the second one is killed offscreen when the Number Fours are discovered during Starbuck's rescue from The Farm

Number Five

We already knew two Dorals were in the Fleet, the first being the PR flack and the second being the suicide bomber. The bomber is ordered to self-detonate as a result of his cover being blown (purely accidentally) by the Ragnar Doral. And this is despite his insistence that no one would be able to recognize him because “His jacket was burgundy, (mine) is teal.” It was the single funniest line of this movie, and perhaps one of the best comic moments of the entire BSG run.

Number Two

Not much new info, but we do see how the "Flesh and Bone" Leoben was captured and how the Number Twos became infatuated with Kara Thrace...kind of.

Number Three

Spoiler Alert! Lucy Lawless has better shit to do than appear in straight-to-DVD TV movies. No D'Annas in sight.

Aside from that, the best part of the movie is seeing the Colonial Holocaust from the Cylon perspective. The basestars show off some impressive battle modes and we get to see modern battlestars destroyed. There's also a quick shot of Pegasus.

Overall, the movie was worth the wait and makes for a good companion piece. I was a little disappointed at the lack of Final Five story, since most of the plot dealt with Cavil's plan to murder humans.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just watched the two opening mini-series of this show and I'm fucking shocked I didn't jump on this earlier. This show is fucking great, and I've watched The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men. The little nerd details they put into the show and the concept of the one ship not stretching to be the best of all is great. It's also good to see that in the future, yes we have spaceships but we don't have every other ridiculous technology available ala Star Trek. Plus, its good to see a ship that can take a beating. In every other Sci-Fi space shin-dig, no matter how advanced or how strong the ship is, the weapons always beat the defense. I like how BSG can take a bunch of missiles and not be a bitch about it.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#17 iczorro, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll let you know how this weekend goes...this shit is damn good.

19. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The ship taking damage thing is again because of their attention to detail and realistic physics. Missiles and nukes are weak with no atmospheric pressure.

Also...
    It's not the future. It's the past.

20. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The BSG: Blood and Chrome movie is on this weekend. Follows Adama as a young pilot 10 years into the first war.