Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Banning Sports Props

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Solaris, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate ALL extraneous noise making devices at sporting events with the exception of cowbells during the winter olympics. For some reason having those spread out over a ski course or track are fine by me.

Also fuck the Terrible Towel and all it's inbred brethren. Fuck Thunderstix, Rally Monkeys, and kazoos. If you can't make enough noise with your hands and voice then fuck off.

I don't give a shit if it's part of the culture or fan base or what. It's annoying.

I'm also anti noise maker because I have a very loud voice. Just ask Curtis Granderson. I know that motherfucker and all of the TV audience can hear me when I yell, "Cuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrtissssss. Cuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrtissssss. Cuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrtissssss."

2. ZBrannigan

ZBrannigan
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I have to say, as someone who's played a lot of sports, including college football in front of 100,000 plus, these horns need to go. Never before have any of the tons of noise makers out there been this annoying and loud. Whether or not they affect the players, they affect the whole atmosphere negatively. I'm watching the world cup and desperately miss the old chants I used to hear from the crowd. They were so much better than anything crowds of US sports have and now they're gone. Instead of a rapid group of fans cheering for their nation, its become a giant swarm of killer bees.

Also, how are these mental midgets able to keep up this horn blowing for 2 straight hours? The players can deal with noise, all athletes have to but this is detracting from what used to be the greatest crowds in sports.

3. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From Fark:
    [​IMG]

Ultimately I say ban the things. This is South Africa's time to shine. They haven't been on the center stage since Apartheid, and now here they are in front of the world, and what are people going to remember? BZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I tried to watch a match for a bit, and it is awful. One of the reasons for actually watching soccer is to listen to the crowd as well. You normally don't even have to watch the match, you can have it on while you are going about your business, and then when the crowd suddenly changes pitch, you know that there is something worth watching.

Instead it is nothing but BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for 90 minutes.

Airhorns are part of the culture of rednecks at sporting events, so we should allow thousands of people to blow airhorns for 90 minutes straight?

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another good one:

Attached Files:

5. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But you have to admit, it sure is nice to hear a series of sounds associated with the World Cup that isn't K'Naan's "Waving Flag".

6. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ultimately, it's about creating a reasonable, enjoyable environment for the vast majority of fans. Thousands of idiots blowing 130 DB horns that cause physical pain to the ears is a pretty obvious and clear violation of that.

Would you allow people to bring megaphones and amps into the stands, and play thrash metal riffs? No, because that would impact your enjoyment of the game, besides hurting the shit out of your ears. Same thing here.

A sports event is not the same as a music concert.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

All I can say is BAN THOSE FUCKING HORNS, YOU ASSHOLES.

I'm not big on soccer but I'll always make time to watch the World Cup. Those horns are the stuff of my fucking nightmares. The entire stadium sounds like a giant, shimmering wasps' nest. I HATE wasps. How can those idiots STAND it? If I were the players, I would be taking a cue from your South American friends and start lobbing live sticks of dynamite into the stands.

The Japanese have those plastic thundersticks that they seem to take to any event, especially baseball games. They make the entire studium sound like they're inside the bass drum at a Slayer concert. We all know that the Japanese are weirdos, so they get a hall pass.

Here in London, the Knights (hockey) games give out both thundersticks AND those loud plastic St. Patty's day horns for every fucking kid in the arena to blow non-stop every second from puck drop to last buzzer. It's a real Siren song. They drive me fucking nuts, and I'm not alone here.

The thing is, draw the line with noise-making shit at sporting events unless it's that asshole that brings the 15 pound cast iron cow bell with the fucking Mjolnir blacksmith hammer and smashes the thing directly behind your head whenever the player with the last name Bell is at the plate, fields a play or scratches his ballsack. That guy I love. By all means keep him.

I prefer the old fashioned method: yelling your insults at the overpaid millionaire drug users, or being that guy with that frighteningly loud whistle that can be heard over the whole goddamn stadium. Christ, man. How do you DO that?

In the end, though....There is one World Cup anthem that is more terrifying than the Satan Horns Of Death.....Be Warned, it will cloud your mind and haunt your dreams. You may even get a fever....

#27 Crown Royal, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the US, the older generation knocks some sense into dumbass kids when they're being obnoxious, especially in black communities. If this was Atlanta instead of "BZZZZZZZ" you'd hear "Darius! Stop acting a damn fool! The whole world watchin!" Do they not have old people in Africa?

...Oh. Damn.

9. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can we add an alt-focus of chants, noisemakers, etc that we like?

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

True, but I would love to see a match where some of the Northern European teams' fans do break out the guitars and amps to compete with those stupid trumpets.

11. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck yeah.

The English (and some other Europeans) also had a "tradition" of soccer riots , invading the pitch and creating mayhem in general and for a long time it was "a part of the game" . albeit an ugly part of the game.

Just imagine if 30 odd thousand African soccer fans were to use their voices instead , their sweet negro vocal cords would sing sweet harmonies to the soccer heavens and all would be well in World Football.

12. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Swing lo, sweet football cup, coming for to carry me bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

13. Croftie

Croftie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

FUCK THE COWBELLS AT MISSISSIPPI STATE. Those motherfuckers all bring cowbells to the football games and ring them like a kitten is raped for every second they stop. I went to MS State's rival school, so I'm sort of biased, but regardless. They fucking suck. The SEC banned them a few years back, but people still bring them into the game, and the administration obviously doesn't stop them from being brought into the stadium. It's been a controversy of sorts recently, and the SEC just decided to formally allow the goddamn cowbells into the stadium, and to allow they to be rung at certain points in the game (during commercial breaks, timeouts, etc). The only problem is going to be telling the drunk, ornery redneck to stop ringing his cowbell once the timeout is over. So in conclusion, fuck those noisemakers AND the redneck college that rings them.

14. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The players at the World Cup have also complained about the "Jabulani ball" that is being used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas_Jabulani

The ball was apparently designed so that more goals are scored.

Want more goals scored? Make the fucking goals bigger.

15. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't forget classics such as England England England:

#35 pincinelly, Jun 15, 2010
  16. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

17. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the sort of crowd noise that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Not fucking ...... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

that will make the hairs in your inner ear fucking die.

#37 Stealth, Jun 15, 2010
  18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

What fucking liars. Yes, I'm sure ancient African culture involved Day-Glo coloured die-casted plastic toys that even annoy other soccer fans. We're talking about fans that throw volleys of darts at opposing fans. This is going to RUIN everything for South Africa. It doesn't even matter if the actual foot of Jesus DOES come down from the sky to save an Argentina goal, nothing-I repeat-NOTHING will be remembered about this World Cup except those stupid fucking horns.

19. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I for one, welcome our new vuvuzela overlords.

But seriously, I have no problem with them it's the sound of a proud, young and upcoming nation. Sure it's different, but it's just how they do it down there in South Africa, at least for the last few years.

The most heart warming sight I've seen in the whole cup so far was the ghana fans parading around the field with those horns and flags. Whether you like it or not, this is the vuvuzela games, and it'll be remembered for that.

20. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

wink wink nudge nudge right? Come on you soccer fans that are in south africa, take the man up on his offer. Don't like the stupid horns? start tossing them onto the field and get them banned already, you may get kicked out of the game but you'll be a worldwide hero!